Eden Upgrades - Experiences?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErikP.Bass, Dec 19, 2005.

1. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Hello All,

I am thinking about having my WT330 Time Traveller upgraded to the WT405 specs. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with their customer service/upgrades recently.

I do know one thing, the prices on their site are out of date because the site lists the upgrade as $169.00 (11/09/05) but they told me on the phone today that it is $199.00. Not sure if this is a bad sign..... :eyebrow:

Let me know what you guys think. The guy on the phone said the new price also includes general servicing as well.
  2. ale_vanlager

Jun 30, 2004
    Buffalo NY
    I had my WT500 upgraded to the power section of the WT800 earlier this year. I called them and set everything up over the phone. I sent the amp via UPS and 3 weeks later I received it. They cleaned everything on the inside and changed the preamp tube as well. I can't complaint at all, they were extremely friendly. You should definitely give it a shot.
  3. Would you mind to share your thoughts on the effects of the upgrade
  4. ale_vanlager

Jun 30, 2004
    Buffalo NY
    Well... I've read around TB that people don't consider this upgrade to be a wise choice. I actually talked to the guys at Eden about this before I decided to go ahead. What they explained to me is that while the upgrade don't sound like much in terms of wattage what you actually gain is headroom. In my experience that's what is all about. I used to run my WT500 bridged (about 600 watts, the guys at Eden said that that's the actual wattage of the power section of a WT500, the model number doesn't really translate into the wattage) into my EB-MM HD212 and I always felt like I was running out of juice competing with a drummer and 2 guitarist running half-stacks. Now, with close to 1100 watts (bridged, according to the Eden folks) on tap the amp feels more responsive and like it's not struggling constantly. I have yet to increase the volume past 10:00 and the sound just fills the practice space. The upgrade did increased the weight of the amp though. All in all, for 300 clams spent I have more than i will probably need. I couldn't be happier.
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have been considering doing the same thing with my WT-500 but for my use, it doesn't really make a lot of sense. I run mine in stereo mode with an 8-ohm 210 XLT on each side. If I upgraded, it would give me about 60 watts on each cab. That seems marginal for the the price of that upgrade, which, as mentioned, is about $300 or so.

When I do bridge, I bridge into one of the 210s, so I already have as much headroom as I trust using with the cab anyway.

And, in truth, the amp is ridiculously loud already.

In your case, the cost is less, so it may be worth that for the small addition in wattage as well as having the folks at Eden give the amp a good going over.

I wouldn't expect a significant improvement in performance though.
  6. Thanks for relaying your experience. I've got a WT500 myself and have thought about the upgrade from time to time. One thing - I thought Eden would only upgrade the WT500 to WT800A specs, which would make it 800W bridged into 8 ohms?
  7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    That was my impression as well.
    ministerwest likes this.
  8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Indeed, this is what they told me on the phone, and why I sold the 500 and bought a wt800b...
  9. Chef, what are your thoughts on the difference between the WT500 and 800B? Is it more than just power?

A while back I compared my WT500 to a 2004 WT550, and I thought my amp sounded a bit better - deeper - but the WT550 had less idle noise. My WT500 is noisy, so much so that I actually took it apart and changed the gain structure to reduce the noise.
  10. ale_vanlager

Jun 30, 2004
    Buffalo NY
    Yes, the upgrade was to the power section of the WT800A. The wattage I refered to was the numbers claimed over the phone by the Eden rep. He said that they are very conservative when they rate their amps, therefore the WT800A output wattage is closer to 1100 watts. Actually, from the .pdf of the spec sheet at the Eden website you can read the max power of their current amps:

Amp/Max Power

I'm not exactly sure if those numbers represent usable watts but the point I'm trying to make is that you are not only paying $300 dollars for a few extra watts... is extra headroom. maybe someone else will chime in on this
  11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The ability to run biamped with the adjustable crossover is the glaring difference. The overall power diff is pretty obvious too, the wt800B can put out two channels worth of the power section of the 500. Just for kicks I set up my schroeder 410 and 1210 running the 800b in stereo...bass to the 410, highs to the 1210. Frightening. I'll never need that kind of power.
    You can check specs and owners manuals here:

12. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA

Edens has powerful amps, no doubt, but these numbers might be misleading to some. Eden designs their amps with an extra 3dB of headroom available. The numbers above represent the instantaneous peak power that the amps will produce when operating at their minimum impedance, 2 ohms (e.g., the WT550 will give you 750W at 2 ohm, with 3dB headroom available for short tranients (+3dB = 1500W)). They may be rated conservatively, but you should consider the WT550 to be a 300/550/750W amp for 8/4/2 ohm loads.
  13. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Thanks for the input guys. I decided to go for it.....as I was sending it in to have a couple of the lights and the compressor checked out as well. The extra headroom surely couldn't hurt.

The customer service representative I spoke with today was very friendly and was happy to answer all my questions. :smug:
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    After the first of the year, my WT-800 is going in for conversion to B status.
  15. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Just so you know this is the wait time I was quoted once the amplifier arrives at Eden.
  16. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    The WT500/550 is a mono amp.
    It does not have a crossover and such.
    So one post stated that they run their WT500 bridged instead of stereo....huh???
    Anyway, they put the power section from a WT800 (actually one "side" if you will) in bridged mode in there. And yes, it's only good down to 8Ohms.
  17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

wonder if other companies will soon offer "wattage" upgrades...
  18. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    the wt500 is/was stereo (but apparantly not bi-ampable- see below) ... it was essentially a lower powered wt800- same features (sans crossover), less watts ... there was also a wt600 as well (one was called the roadrunner and one was the highwayman, i don't remember which) ... the wt550 is a more powerful traveller and is mono, but they is two different amps
  19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

The WT-500 is a stereo amp but doesn't have the the built-in crossover.
  20. WT-300, 400, 550 are mono, "Traveller" sized, amps rated at 4 ohms 300W, 400W, 550W (750W into 2 ohms).

WT-500, 600, 800 are full 19" rack, stereo amps rated at 4 ohms stereo 250Wx2, 300Wx2, 400Wx2, and bridge at 8 ohms mono 500W, 600W, 800W.

WT800B is rated at 440Wx2 into 4 ohms, 880W 8 ohms bridged, and 1100W 4 ohms bridged.

The WT-500 is similar to the 600, 800, but no crossover.