Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden users curious...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by progplayer, Dec 19, 2001.

1. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    To all that use Eden Heads, I was curious of how you set your eq and what gear you use?

I just got my WT-600. Basically my set up is simple as can be. WT-600 into a SWR Goliath III. I *might* hook up my effects processor and volume pedal/midi pedal but I don't see a need to.

My settings are straight forward:
    Gain= 2'oclock
    Enhance/Magic Knob=7'oclock[off]
    Bass=Flat
    Treble=Flat
    EQ Section=Flat (might tweak the MID freq one click)
    Master=12'oclock

Running it bridged mono into the Goliath III. Compression is left on. And sometimes clickin on that PAD makes the bass mwha more...but cuts volume.

And another thing, did Dave Eden or whoever use to design amps for SWR? hmmmm

2. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I use my WT100 with flat EQ in the hopes of hearing the instrument and not the preamp. I know there are less colored preamps out there but that Eden enhance and tube blend make this unit a keeper.

The instrument gain is turned up until the clipping light starts to come on then backed off a little. Check all the knobs indexing by turning them full right or left to make sure all the lines on the knobs line up equaly.

3. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I'll check the indexing. It seems a lot of Eden users out there don't touch the EQ at all, I just find that interesting.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    On my WT-300 and D-410XLT

Gain at about 10'oclock
    Enhance between one and 2
    Bass boosted 3 clicks up (from flat)
    Lows, 2 clicks up
    Mids, 1 click
    Highs boosted 1 clicks
    Treble Boosted 3 clicks
    EQ-
    Bass at 3'oclock
    Mids at 3'oclock
    Highs between 1-3, depending on my ear that day.

And the cab attenuator put at about 11'oclock.

Just a big fat, tone, EQed sligghtly so the higher notes don't get lost. I like it a lot, almost vintage, almost modern...just really, er...well, big and fat.

Homer ON:
    Eden. mmmmm....
    Homer OFF

5. On my WT-300 + 2x D-210T rig:

Gain: 8 (3:00)
    Enhance: flat (7:00)
    Bass shelving: flat
    Low mid: flat
    Mid: +3 (1:00) or +6 (2:00) at 1200Hz
    High mid: flat
    Treble: flat
    Master: 3

I have to keep the gain pretty high because my bass (Dean Edge Custom 5) has very low output. When I get my new Bart M55/NTBT-equipped FBB custom fiver, I'll probably set the gain a bit lower.

6. First time I've heard that variation. :D

There is no David Eden. As far as the rest of the story, here's what I can tell from statements by SWR and Eden. David NORDSCHOW built PA cabs. He was contracted to build cabs to SWR specs and apparently collaborated on their design. After a couple of years SWR took their business elsewhere and Nordschow started marketing David by Eden cabs.

To make the whole thing even more incestous, Steve Rabe of SWR worked for Russ Allee and Roger Smith at AMP and designed a preamp for them. Allee is the design consultant for the current Eden amps. And Rabe is no longer at SWR, but at Raven Labs.
    :confused:

7. My WT-300/SWR 8x8 rig:

Gain: 12 O'clock
    Enhance: 9 O'clock
    Bass: Flat
    Low Mids: Slight boost (1 click) at around 120 Hz
    Mids: Slight boost (1 click) at around 800 Hz
    High Mids: Flat
    Treble: Flat
    Master: as much as needed but generally no more than at 11 O'clock

And I dial in some Sansamp before the input to fatten up the tone when the mood strikes me.

Hey Brendan, have you had to replace your cooling fan yet? That thing must be running constantly. Yikes! :D

8. And remember, David slew Goliath! Ha Ha. ;)

9. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    i did not think there was such a person named David Eden. I got the info from the sales guy, hahahaha. :D

But he was telling me that the SWR pro series cabs should sound excellent when used with the Eden stuff. :eek: who knows.

keep those settings comin, i'm gonna try them all! hahahaha

10. WT800:

Gain - 2pm
    Enhance - off
    Bass - 1 click up
    Low-Mid - 1 click up @ 160Hz
    Mid-Mid - 1 click up @ 1kHz
    High-Mid - 1 click up @ 3kHz
    Treble - 1 click up

Master - 9pm/10pm, running outta one side of the amp.

Gives me a little more mid-range balls to get my Rickenbacker tone to come though hard and take no prisoners.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    progplayer, you can email Eden and ask for a manual. In it, you'll find that it advises you to set your gain high enough for the light to flash on loudest notes for optimum signal-to-noise. Then, you can set the master to suit the room. This is a good starting point and should be tried before you experiment, IMO. As to EQ, always start flat and use very small adjustments based, again, on the room.

12. It's a pity that pushing the preamp gain into clipping doesn't actually push the tube at all... :(

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeah, you won't ever get an Eden to sound like an SVT, that's for sure!

14. I'd have to disagree there, to a point. I haven't had many problems getting a faux-SVT tone from my setup. Obviously you can't get that ballsy mess that comes from tube saturation, but she comes close enough, especially in the clean department. Pop a pedal before the input and it's on it's way to woolly SVT-land...

15. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    On my WT-800 I'm real close to Nil's settings. Although I run the mid eq flat. This is through the Aguilar GS410 and my little Bag Ends and using the Sadowsky. If I'm playing my old J-bass then I kick the gain up to 2:00 o'clock and maybe notch up the lows a smidgen. I also have found that I set the Navigator the same way.

I also have an older Goliath II 4x10 that seemed worlds apart in tone from the Goliath III. It looked very much like it would have come out of the Eden shop.

16. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    On my Traveller, everything is flat. At times I fiddle around with the Enhance knob but it never goes beyond 10 o'clock. Very often it is 0 (seven o'clock). In fact, if you want the "fretless mwah" sound, you shouldn't use Enhance at all as it tends to give you that SMILEY EQ effect.

17. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Well I was at practice again tonight and left everything flat. No Magic Knob going on (7'oclock), and I got a ton of mwha. Its pretty cool. I guess there is no real need to touch the EQ on this thing, I'm lovin the tone as is...

18. I love my wt300- I don't need to have loads of eq to get "the tone" like I had to do with most other brands. Heres my setting
    gain- up untill the light flickers
    enhance- at 12 o'clock
    bass- boosted by about 4 clicks
    low- frequency at about 70-80
    about a two click boost
    mids- frequency at about 10 o'clock
    boosted by one click
    highs- frequency at about one o'clock
    boosted by about two clicks
    treble- boosted between 3-5 clicks.

19. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    damn straight!:D :p

20. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I've been using a WT-300 with a Carvin RL210T for the past few months. EQ is set pretty flat, but settings depend on the bass, too. Three basses (Bugbass, '74 Jazz, G&L L-1000).

Gain between 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock, depending on the instrument. Try to keep the light from flashing, but see it occasionally.

Enhance generally off, but could be on one or two clicks.

Other tone controls flat, maybe the mids boosted 1/2 click around 500 hz. I understand they have new pots with much smaller spacing between clicks. That upgrade was about $60, but I didn't have it done.

Master at 11 o'clock to 11:30.

I play in a blues band and the Bugbass gets a big, very upright-like sound from this rig.

A few tips:

* I found that the knob centers can move around. After assuring that everything was lined up correctly on all the knobs, I put a small dot of clear nail polish on part of the edge between the center and the knob. That gets consistent settings from gig to gig.

* When I got the amp, it went to the factory for a once-over. They did what they call a "stealth upgrade" that cut down noise and hum quite a bit. This included a shield plate by the tube and a different wiring harness. They also reversed the fan, which now blows out the hole it's mounted on. It's supposed to be quieter and more efficient that way.

* To keep track of jacks and settings easier, I took an extra-fine Sharpy pen and wrote on the gold part of the case top. On the back, I can find jacks without going around the back. On the front, I can remember EQ ranges without looking underneath the knobs.

Finally, I transport the amp in an old laptop case. It just fits inside and the cords/tuner go in the outer pouch. Shoulder strap makes a one trip load-in possible, too.

-Dan