Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden vs. Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ikickuintheballs, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Hey guys, I'm looking to sell my Genz Benz 2x12 and get new cab. I'm thinking of getting either an Ampeg 4x10hlf ($600 on musiciansfriend) or an Eden 4x10 ($800 on Musiciansfriend.com). What do you think of these two. What are the pros and cons. What's your opinion on which is better.

How much do you think I could get for my Genz Benz 2x12T-XB?

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Ugh, I hate these "which is better" things. "Better" is subjective when you are dealing with two cabinets that are of similar quality like the Eden and the Ampeg. You really have to try the two out for yourself and see which one YOU like better.
    I once posted a thread similar to this, and went with the popular opinion and I regretted it.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    they're both good choices....play through them both, with your head and bass and let your own ears be your judge. Neither is "better" than the other, they are just different.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    call me animal, but i still prefer the sound of ampeg.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    <font size=4 color=white><b>ANIMAL!!!:D</b></font>

I've never tried any Eden equipment (for fear of liking it:)) but I've read nothing but good things about them on this board & Bass Player Magizine.

I have a Ampeg SVT 410 HLF & I love this cabinet. I haven't used it much since I got an SVT 810 real cheap, but when I do use it, I remember why I haven't sold it. I usually use it when we have a gig that I know is gonna go in to the wee hours or the night & I'm always satisfied. I use my SVT II PRO w/it & it rocks. It has great low's (ported cab & is deeper & higher than the other SVt 410) great high's (the horn has a dial on the back & mids, who used mids anyway? :D:p

Personally, I don't think you'll be unhappu w/either. If I were you, I'd wait till Musician's Friend has one of those "Free Shipping" sales, so if you are unhappy w/one, you can return it & only be out shipping one way. :)

Good luck.

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

I have owned a number of Ampeg products....SVT III, And a SVT III pro, along with the hlf4-10.

I now have a Eden WT-400, 4-10XLT. I prefer the Eden hands down...it has more volume and more control of the sound even though I hardly touch it.

The thing I like best about it is, I plug in and play without hardly any EQ.

7. Is the Eden 4x10 Speaker Cab w/Tweeter a good one? I don't have $1100 for the xlt or xst. Which gives a better low end thump? Does Guitar Center have Eden? I'll be getting the cab from a local dealer so I don't have to pay extra for shipping and all of that.

8. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    i recommend the aguilar 4x10. go here:

http://www.riksmusic.com/riksclub/frameset2.cfm

free shipping! ^

otherwise call up bass northwest or bass central for the eden cab (the d410xlt). keep in mind, shipping is probably no more than tax will be, and you'll get a better price from one of the places i've mentioned.

9. LowRanger

LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Different strokes for different folks.

I had an Eden D410XLT and never did learn to love it. Did a side-by-side with an Ampeg PR410HLF, and to my ears the Ampeg won. Higher (believeable) power handling, deeper lows, slightly louder, and a much nicer crossover. I even liked the casters better! The Eden was at least 20lbs lighter, though.

I'd love to be able to try the Eden again, now that I've changed practically everything else in my signal chain.

I've heard many players get great sounds from their Edens, phenomenal sounds, but it just didn't work for ME. I couldn't do it to save my live.

I'm all smiles with a PR410HLF and SVT410HLF.

I think you can't go wrong with either Eden or Ampeg, it depends on what you expect from your cabinet!

10. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    That's the 410T.The 410XLT has 2 ports on the top and bottom which produce better bass response and more power handling.800 bucks seems like a lot for that cab.Maybe look at the 210XLT or the Ampeg BSE410hlf.

11. but how much is the 410xlt? I don't want to spend more than $800.
    Which would you say has a lower end thump? Ampeg SVT 410HLF or the Eden 410T?

12. i got my d-4x10xlt from bass nw for like $800. they might have cut me a deal though, cause i also got a WT-800.

13. mutt, musiciansfriend.com offers that for $1100. Yea, I think you got a deal on that, hehe. :) I'm going to get the SVT410HLF. :) Now just to find a place to sell my Genz Benz for at least $450-$550.

14. i'm pretty sure though, that their regular is less than MF, everything they've had that was over like $500, it's been less then MF prices, give them a call or email, and ask them the price, i wouldnt hurt.

15. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    The Ampeg definitely has more push in the lows than the Eden 410T (I've played through both with the same head) but I've never compared the Ampeg to the 410XLT.Ampeg has a new one,I just saw it today at GC,it's called the BXT410 and it also has the bottom port.They had $849 on it,but I didn't get to play it yet.