1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden vs. EA iAmp? We're "talking heads" here!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IdealWay, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Eden head

26 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. Euphonic Audio iAmp

17 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. Carrot Juice

16 vote(s)
    27.1%
  1. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    Anyone care to comment on the subject? I am currently looking into upgrading from my Eden WT330 (no tube) to a classic Euphonic Audio iAmp500 (white face). Curious what your opinions are about the two amps.
    Thanks! :)

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well, Edens are warm and vintagey, and the iAmps are super clean. Very different tones.

3. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    So would you say the iAmp is closer to a studio/direct sound?

4. Have you tried the Eden WTX lightweight series? They are bringing out a lightweight 1000 watt deally that will rock the ****. I ultimately would like a super clean amp and vintagey amp so everything is covered.

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Just FYI, the iAmp model he is considering is an earlier class A/B model, I believe made by Ashdown. It is much warmer, punchier and has more 'character' than the later class D models to my ear (it's of course heavier also).

I greatly prefer this era of iAmp (500,600,350) to the current models, which to my ear are as you describe, so clean and pure as to be a bit 'sterile' to my ear (IMO).

I guess all I would say is that if you like your Eden330, I would recommend looking into the newer, more powerful 405 model (if I have that right... I always get the numbers mixed up, but it's the one that looks like the older 330). It's a fantastic head, and you can usually find one used for a good price.

6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I don't have a lot of hope in that line. The current 260 is IMO NOT a good thing on many levels (preformance, price/value, etc.). I know they are talking about upping the power to 500 watts, and that will help. However, IMO Eden is still WAY behind the curve in both Neo and class D technology compared to Genz, Markbass, TecAmp, etc., etc., etc.

That 405 is a NICE box though!

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Oh, well, ummm. And I didn't know they made anything that had ANY character. Learn sumthin new every day. Ken, you rock.

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The white-faced iamp was definitly warmer and, to my ears, a little faster than the class D iamps that came later.

It was a slightly rounder sounding amp and lacked "some" of the crystal clear highs that the newer model have. It is still a clean sounding head with as much flexibility as anything EA makes. It doesn't have a lot of character but has more character than the typical iamp out now, to my ears and from what my memory recalls. It was also heavier and larger to schlep around...

Personally, I like mixing opposite ends of the spectrum:

Iamp with Bag End or Eden cabs.

Eden head with Epifani cabs.

Etc.

What don't you like about what you have now?

9. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    I had the amp you are talking about and an Eden WT405 and I have to say they are on opposite sides. The Iamp was a great amp, lots of power for it's rating. Really usable EQ and features, but it didn't sound anything like the Eden. Didn't sound much like an Ashdown either:D. To me it really didn't stand out in any way, it was just kind of there. It wasn't sterile but it didn't really put any coloration on your tone either.

The Eden on the other hand colors your tone a lot and adds some heft. The highs are way nicer on the WT405 as well. I also prefer the Eden EQ. The 405 also has a really nice onboard compressor.

10. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    I have the WT-330 and am not blown away by the tone. It's a little too warm or colorful for me I guess, only pushes 330w @ 4 ohm, not much EQ potential. Really I just want to experiment with something different and see how it feels. If I don't like it I'll move on to the next rig.

11. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    So I've decided to try out the iAmp. From everything I've gathered, the earlier Ashdown models are the way to go. I should have it for my next gig and will definitely report back once I've tried it out.

12. The one he was talking about is something else, they added a stereo 2x500 Watt Power amp (class D) to their Navigator preamp, which sounds amazing as a pre. It's in a whole other league to their other lightweight amps.

13. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Make sure you try the iAmp 600. It was the first one that they made themselves, not Ashdown. Gary Gilbisco was behind this one -way more power and tons of useful features. I've had mine since they came out, and I don't think I'll ever let it go!

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Both companies have made some great amps, but both of them have given me reason to be reluctant to buy their more recent products. However I've been curious to try one of those older Ashdown-made EA's. I look forward to hearing your post-gig thoughts.

15. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    The iAmp should be arriving today, so I'll post a little feedback soon!

16. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I will put out my opinion and say that you bought a super amp! I had an original EA iAmp made by ashdown and it was in my top 2 heads of all time. Super versatile tone...power for days...Jensen equipped DI out...built in Sabine tuner...and still not heavy. Loved it and stupidly sold it.

How did you come about finding yours?

17. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC

...Excellent!:D I love taking a chance and having it pay off!

I actually got (what seems to me) a great deal on mine, on the HC forums. It had been posted for a couple of weeks with no interest, so I figured... why not! I'm now eagerly waiting by the door for the UPS truck!

18. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Awesome! Good find on the HC forum. Post pics when you pop her open!

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I have both and they are quite different - the only thing about the iAmp for me is that it is too heavy and while the sound is great for Double Bass and is louder than the Eden - I end up using the Eden as it is lighter and the controls are simpler!! :p

Sometimes it's not purely about tone!!

But as people have said - the iAmp is brighter and crystal-clear - nice on DB - but for Bass Guitar I prefer the warmth of the Eden.

20. IdealWay

IdealWay

Oct 18, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    The iAmp has arrived!:D! Here are some pics:

l_94542a898be6464d8d2fc09f47b5465d.

l_b8f33c3dfc4e4194a8013a27e5bcc595.

l_8be42c1d5c61466f819a752762f4c9a0.

I've only had time to play around on it for about 10 minutes, but so far my impression is that this is THE amp for me (for now anyway ;)). IMO, it sounds far better than the Eden WT-330 I had previously; more clarity, tighter low end, dynamic tone shaping, the list goes on. It's not too heavy either (eat some spinach if you think it is). I'll try to post a more detailed review once I spend more time with it.