eden vs. mesa vs. markbass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Oct 16, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    I'm in the market for a small amp head these days
    i need something thats light on the back, power ful, possibly (POSSIBLY) run at a 2 ohm load, good eq, sound awesome with electric..

it will be pushing 2 8's at first, and possibly 2 8's and a 12/10 later on.. so i'll be able to move some good amunts of air...

basses are primarily 5 string electric and 6 string electric active F basses..

being used for jazz, rock, folk, r n b, blues, reggae, etc etc etc

i like the markbass little mark 2 because its super light and can push 500 watts easily

i like the mesa because its pretty versatile, and i've never really owned n e thing mesa, and from what i hear it can sound a bit more tubey, and handle a 2 ohm load

i like the eden aswell, but i find they are pricey.. i like the parametric eq, and all of the options available with this unit

what does everyone else think?? :help:

i like the mesa walk about
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I would go with the eden, however I don't have any experiance with any of the amps, I think the eden would be the best for the versitle EQ. I've read that most eden heads you can run em flat and still have em sound awesome.

I would also suggest a thunderfunk in your selection. That being said the thunderfunk can only run @ 4 ohms, but some eden heads can run at 2 ohms.

I would see if you can go to oyur local GC and try everything else out.

3. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I play a diverse amount of styles as well. I've owned 2 Walkabouts and sold them, it was ok but not great.

I now have an EA IAMP350 and Epifani UL502, both very portable neither run at 2 ohms the Epifani wins the head to head for me!

I tryed the Eden WT550 a number of times and it is decent but I didn't buy one.

I also found that I needed to own these things and road test them before I came to any strong conclusions. The Epifani sits in the car for gigs and rehearsals and the IAMP sits in my practice room!

Good luck!
  4. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    definetely try the markbass, its not as well known but u wont be dissapointed. Play it with a good bass and itll sound awesome
  5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i'm not sure if the mark bass can handle 2 ohm loads though..

its moss def the cheapest too 719.00 canadian new
  6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've owned both EA iAMP 350 and Eden WT-550, and also borrowed a friends MB Walkabout, but the one I ended up keeping was the Eden. First off, I must say that the comparison wasn't really fair. The Eden has way more power than the other two amps, and ultimately, I was looking for an amp that would handle a constant 2 ohm load while being able to drive my two Schroeder cabs at a decent volume. All amps were able to handle the 2 ohm load, but the 550 was by far the loudest. Tonally, I liked all amps, but the Eden stuck out in terms of use and sound. I had an easy time dialing up "my tone" with both Eden and EA while struggling to find it with the MB. The preamp section on the MB was pretty touchy and not very well marked like both Eden and EA. The bottom line decision came down to the Eden because it had a lot of power, great tone, and it was easy to use. If I could have compared an iAMP 500 or 800, my decision might have been different, but Irecommend the 550 highly for it's portability, power, and tone.
  7. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Boogie aint really that versatile in the sense that they have a very very very noticeable tone that u cant get away from. similar to Rickenbackers in basses. whatever settings u dial in, u have that Mesa tone there. a trained ear will pick it up right away! other wise, they are beautiful amps, scooped mids and very well built!

i own Eden cab and played through a couple heads. imo, Eden wins all amps i have seen to day (except may be an Aggie which was for $3200). i only recently bought that Eden cab but i know that i am not gonna play anything else except Eden from now on! truly amazing stuff!
  8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    and the edens are made to run constant at a 2 ohm load correct???

i need an eden i guess, for dirt cheap
  9. buy the markbass

it's european, so you'll be cool as hell

anyway, I myself would probably go for the eden though
  10. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I am done with Eden amps, as I love the tone, but always find their power lacking for unclipped volume......cone creasers!!!
    I agree the Markbass amps are the way to go, but they won't do 2 ohms....but light and loud and good prices at www.clubbass.ca, Club Bass :hyper:
    I am very happy with my Markbass amp head
    Murphy :cool:
  11. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    yea i found eden amp heads clip alot too
    so my big rig consists of a navigatorand a ca9

i think eventually i'll be getting the mark bass, its teh cheapest, the lightest and its euroo

i'm not sure i'f i'll even need to drive a 2 ohm load, owrse comes to worse, i'll just buy a different used 4ohm cab
  12. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have an Eden 550 and it works great for me. I don't know about the others.
  13. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    FWIW....customer service by the Markbass folks in Canada is VERY impressive. Read my thread on my recent experience. Not 2 ohm capable, but very loud and the eq is flexible to dial in anything.

Eden stuff is very good gear as well. I have some experience with them and have no issues. I think that foir the most part, we live in a great time as end users of gear. There's lot of competition out there and the quality is generally very good and reliable. Outside of that, it gets down to price, features and sound. If you find products that meet those criteria go for it.
  14. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I would love the Navi with my poweramp.
    Maybe that'll be my next preamp,.. wish it was less than two spaces...but great sound and all the features i could hope for.
    My s450 is great for rehearsals, small bars, etc
    My QSC 2402 I use for outdoors, no PA support..
    It's great to have options
  15. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I read you other post abot the new cab. Good luck with the cab. Will any store you buy from let you bring in the new cab when its ready? Whatever the choices are narrowing it down by hearing the cab with the amp would be a good step if possible.
  16. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    yea when my cab is done i'll will bring it to try out amps

i was just looking for something that could carry a 2 ohm load just incase i ever get another 4 ohm cab.
  17. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    how do these amps compare to say, a EA IAMP350 ????
  18. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Mark Bass is louder, lighter and less expensive....check them out...You'll be surprised :bassist:
  19. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

i think i'm stuck between the mark bass and the eden wt 550

i'll prolly get the mark bass though
  20. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I had the WT550 and I wasn't impressed. The Mark Bass is the next I'm buying! I haven't read a bad thing about it yet!