Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden Vs. Mesa (yes, again!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sgt.floyd, Dec 12, 2004.

1. sgt.floyd

sgt.floyd

Dec 5, 2004
    basston
    My current rig is an Eden 500-WT head with an Eden 210 XLT as the primary cab and a Trace 115 as an expansion for bigger setups. All of this stuff is about 5-6 years old, so I know it well.

I've been kicking around the idea of a smaller combo 'cause I mostly play smaller jazz gigs now. I havn't even plugged in the 15 in 2 years, and am getting pretty sick of the seperate head/cab because it means (when you add effects box and music stand) at least 2 trips ( more often 3) to the truck during setup. That, and it's pretty important to tilt the speaker back so I can hear without blowing out the crowd in the bar. While it's possible with the 210/seperate head, it is not easy, as it has to be leaning against the wall or the head won't stay. The other problem is my bass is really quiet, and I have to push my current rig harder than I would like to keep up w/ our drummer.

While doing some x-mas shopping at GC a couple of weeks ago I ended up with some slack time while my wife was looking through the books. I stupidly started plugging in basses and various amps. I plugged into a few, not really liking the sound, and then, at the end, ported into a Mesa M-pulse 600 Venture 210 combo. Wow. I was in love. It had great tone, and what felt like way more headroom than my current rig, even with the 15, and it was 1 peice. with wheels. :bassist:

While digging for info on the cab, I happend upon this forum, and after a bit of serching, I didn't find much on the new Mesa stuff. Is there a reason for that? Were I to trade up, what could I expect to get for my current rig? any thought/opinions?

Thanks in advance.

2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    I own the Venture and really love it. The 2x10s are punchy, but still give me a good traditional sound for jazz, blues, and classic rock. However, there is another amp you should consider. I don't know what size venues you're playing in, but for smaller places, I am using a Walkabout Scout 12". It's smaller, lighter, and has just about the same tone of its bigger brother. If 300 Watts is enough for where you're playing, I give it my highest recommendation. However, if you need the 600 Watts of the Venture, then I wouldn't hesitate at all.

3. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I went from an Ampeg SVT Pro3 with an Ampeg PR410 (128 pounds) a carrying case for my tools and cables, pedals etc, plus my bass. To a Walkabout Scout 1-12 combo (49 pounds) and an Incase gig bag. This means I can walk into a gig in one trip! Bass and amp and I have KILLER tone! I also purchased the Scout 1-12 extension cab which weighs about 35 pounds but I don't usually need it. I play in a rock band with two guitars and a church orchestra and this setup does it all. :hyper:

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's no secret that I'm not a big Mesa fan, but most in here would agree that one should buy the rig that sounds best to his own ear (rather than my own ear). If it sounds great to you, and it meets your power/volume requirements, then that's the right rig for you. I'd say go for it.

5. sgt.floyd

sgt.floyd

Dec 5, 2004
    basston
    Thanks for the input!

I think the deciding factor is of course, how it's going to sound with my bass.

It sounds like it's time to wander in there again and give it a shot.

Details to follow.

6. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just curious,

The Mpulse Venture combo always uses a 4 ohm speaker (2x10 or 1x15), is this correct? If so, then there is no chance of an extension cab? I tried searching for this answer but couldn't get a definite answer.

-T

7. sgt.floyd

sgt.floyd

Dec 5, 2004
    basston
    well- as could be expected, plugging in my bass only made me want it more.

Then at my rehersal on thrusday, as I was overdriving my 210 xlt with the phaser, I thought to myslef- "it's time"

So today I gathered a all the gear that was sitting around that I hadn't used in a couple years, took the grills off the speakers and cleand them up, vacuumed off the carpet on the cabinets, loaded up the truck, and was off to guitar center. They gave me as good a price as I could ask for, and I rolled the venture out about an hour later.

A couple notes as I got it home. It's pretty damn heavy, but the casters are really nice, and easy to take of if necessary. I can easily take off the back 2 to tilt the whole thing back when necessary. The workmanship all around is top notch, as is all the hardware. Nice switches and handles, including one on the bottom to make it easier to load, and nice plastic sliders on the back to keep one from tearing the vynal during loading and unloading. It's about the same size as the eden 210 xlt cab, but for some reason it looks bigger. It also comes with a foot switch- with switches for the eq, the compressor, the effects loop, and the solo channel, all with different colored indicator lights, which will be really nice on a dark stage.

Then I plugged in my peavy cirrus- DAYUM! The sounds are really clean, warm, and super punchy. With a flat eq I can honestly say that's the best I've heard that bass sound. Then I plugged in my Norton 6stirng fretless- I was stoked, but tobe honest, I was thinking the tone range was a little limited and it sounded a little flat- then I noticed that I was plugged into the active jack instead of the passive jack. I switched that over and it was like the sun coming out. There was new subtlety and clarity to this bass as well, and again, I can honestly say it has never sounded so good!

A note on the availible power: when I was playing the eden rig for the last time this morning, I had it at about 7 on the gain and 5 on the master. With the venture, I was sitting with the gain at 5 and the master at about 3, and the volumes were pretty close to the same. It seems that there will be PLEANTY of headroom.

As for the quesion about the extension cab, they were unable to produce a manual at GC where I got it, so I'll have to download it, but on the back there are 2 speaker outs (one occupied) , and it says "suggested load 4 ohms (2 ohms minimum)"

8. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    WRT extension cabs, I bought a 15" cab at 8 ohms. Used it with my Venture at an outdoor festival. It was set loud enough to be used in a rock setting without anything going through the FOH. It was used this way with multiple acts, thus it ran at a high volume at an effective 2.67 ohms for, say, seven hours on a hot day without a hiccup. YMMV, but I and the other musicians there were quite impressed, not to mention that Mesa got a sale or two out of the other bass players who borrowed it that day.

9. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    OOH! Very interesting and encouraging results! I would hope everyone has the same experience who tries this. But damn if that story doesn't give you some confidence in running a 2.67 ohm load to your Mpulse! Or Venture combo, for that matter.

Hmm...

-T

10. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I have the Scout combo and it is the best money I have spent on gear, ever. The controls are very sensitive and you can do lots to your sound with just a tiny turn of a knob. I got tired of lugging around tons of gear, too. I like that they are 4 ohms internally, it makes an extension optional. There have been lots of discussions of running Mesa gear with and extension, mainly for the Walkabout. Word from the factory is that they cannot get the amps to crap out under that load. You know that we will get a certain someone to pop in here with the Official Voice of Mesa...it's Strange we haven't heard it yet... :bag:

11. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Sgt. Floyd your tone experience sounds a lot like mine. I play a Cirrus and it sounds great thru my Scout, but my Spector 5 sounds even better. :D I love it.

12. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I own a M-Pulse 600......enough said :bassist:

13. the venture combo is very heavy.
    if weight is also an issue, go for the scout i reckon!!