Eden Vs. Mesa

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by danhorne, Apr 22, 2004.

1. I need some advice,

I've been looking around for a new cab. And i've found two that have sparked my interest. One is a brand new Eden 210XLT and the other is a used Mesa 410 powerhouse(8ohms). The Mesa looks like its in perfect shape but i've never played one(its on a website). I've played some edens that my friends have and really like how they sound. I play anything and everything, from a little Wooten to Metallica. The prices of the two are pretty much equal. What do you guys think will be the better cab in your opinion? ask for any more info if needed? oh yes... and i play a 5 string if that matters at all. Any help is great!

2. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    personally I like the sound of the Eden better, plus you've heard the Eden but not the Mesa. Both are great cabs, from what I can tell, but I hear the new Mesa cabs are nowhere near Eden cabs. Plus does weight matter to you at all? I'm sure the Mesa will be heavier than the 69lb Eden.
  3. Yeah i like the sound of edens alot. Plus i don't think i want to deal with a 410, too big and i don't really need it. I just want something that will sound sweet at home but will be able to pump out some good sound for a jam session or small gig.
  4. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i think you answered your own question. 210xlt's are awesome- i don't think anyone will tell you you're wrong by going with one.
  5. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have an idea. Get 2 sets of used 210XLT's. If you like the sound of eden, then go with edens. I like the sound of MESA Cabs too, but eden cabs have their sound which I like among many. I'm actually sort of partial to Aguilar myself, but lets not get distracted. My point is, shop the used market and get yourself something portable and useable. The 210XLT sounds like a great idea, but for larger gigs, you may want to pump up your sound a bit, so why not get two sets up 8ohm 210xlts or even better XST's and you can get a nice 4-ohm load out of it when you are playing larger gigs and need the headroom. That's my mentality with my aguilar GS112s. 1 for smaller gigs, 2 for medium to larger gigs.

Used 210XLT on Ebay

Check out bassgear.com, they have them for $300-$325 used.
  6. I'm kinda new at the rig building, due to the fact that this will be my first none combo amp setup. Can anyone explain the 4ohms and 8ohms difference. And any other factors that tie into it like heads and poweramps. Anything you think i need to konw before i set out on building up a rig would be nice.

thanks for the info so far

7. any info would be sweet... i need so good advice/explanation
  8. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Most heads and poweramps can handle no less than 4 ohms. There are some that can (Peavey stuff, Eden WT550, etc) but they're generally not as common. So if you get 1 4ohm cab, then you can use only that 1 if you have a head that can't handle any less than 4 ohms. However, if you get 1 8ohm cab, it gives you the option of adding a second 8ohm cab (ie a 210 and a 115 setup) without hurting the amp. However, all amps put out less power at 8ohms than they do at 4 ohms... so plan it out! What do you want in a setup: 1 large cab or 2 smaller cabs? Getting a 2ohm compatible head/poweramp would remove these issues.

Hope that helped!
  9. That helps a bit. I am planing on getting a Eden 210XLT and adding a 115 later on once i get more money. So i guess i should get 8 ohms models then.
  10. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Exactly. :)

Should be a nice rig!