Eden vs. Mesa

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tames, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    Currently I'm playing through my *first* stack, and am quickly finding out that I'm outgrowing it. Right now I play an SWR Workingman's "full stack." (Workingman's 4004 head, 4x10 cab and 1x15 cab.) I like the sound but want more thickness/punch. I'm considering either of the two combinations.

Eden WT800
    Eden D210XLT
    Eden D410XLT

Mesa/Boogie M-Pulse 600
    Mesa Powerhouse 2x10
    Mesa Powerhouse 4x10

I've played the Eden, and I really really like the tonal characteristics of Eden's stuff, but I want to try Mesa stuff, hearing it's a lot thicker, but loses the "hi-def" sound. Kinda skeptical. Not sure. Anyone have any opinions?
  2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I'd go Eden, I heard from other TB'ers that the Mesa dosen't do the hi-fi thing as well. I think the Eden can do it all except all out grunge. Thats what pedals are for. Good luck.
  3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    IMO. Go Ashdown, at least for the amp.

It's thick, almost like the Mesa, but it's also hi-fi, almost like the Eden. very nice amps.
  4. If you like it thick but articulate, go Mesa. If you're looking to hear every detail of your playing including string and fret noise, look elsewhere.
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    How bout a used Mesa 400+ with an Eden 610?
  6. poundround

Mar 8, 2005
    Lynchburg VA
    Now thats a good idea! A Mesa head with Eden cabs. :bassist:
  7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Man I'd definitely go with the Mesa over the Eden, at least as far as heads are concerned. I've owned both, and found the Mesa to be FAR superior in sound, fullness and overall tone when comparing the two.

As far as cabs go, they're about comparable, as I've owned both also! :D

So I'd say M-Pulse plus Mesa 4x10. Should be a great rig for ya there! And whoever says it "loses the hi-def sound" compared to the Eden is a bit off, IMO... It's about as damn clear as you could want, plus an added in compressor, parametric EQ, boost, and footswitch for all of those options plus the FX Loop. Can't beat it!
  8. Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    Thanks for the replies. I've been known for a rather "articulate, honky" sound. The standard punch you in the face and kick your butt with low end kind of thing. I love the sound of nasaly punch with thump. My friend Evan is an Eden endorser, and his tone is immaculate on stage. I really like the sound of thick punch with that extra treble (around 12KHz or so) for my string buzz for articulation and "raw" sound. If you're unsure of the sound I'm kind of leaning towards, listen to Alex Katunich (Dirk) on Incubus' album, S.C.I.E.N.C.E. I know his sound on this album is the most sought after (believe me I know; Streamer Stage II w/Basslines pickups, Eden 4x10s and 18s and his demeter compression and stuff.) If anyone is a hardcore Incubus/Dirk fan, you guys may possibly own the "When Incubus Attacks, Vol. 2" DVD. On this DVD there is a "making of" portion of the video for the song Drive. If you listen/watch closely, Dirk hammers out a few notes on a Warwick Infinity bass, via Eden 4x10/2x10 and a WT800. This rig was set up specifically for the video, and the tone still KILLS. This is not his normal tone for CDs, but my god... it's fat. I'm leaning towards Mesa still though. (the prices are pretty good too!)
  9. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    You definently won't get an Eden sound with the Mesa's IMO.

In fact, the Mesa's tend you have a spongey feel to the sound, especially when slapping. If your after the Dirk tone, go Eden.

BTW, I'm a big Alex fan too, I'm kind of going for his tone characteristics, with just a little bit 'more'. Next thing on my list is a Eden Navi. I'll use that on recordings and for the house PA and use my V8 for the stage. I'm hoping that the Schroeder 410 can give the similar low mid bump to the Eden XLT's, yet have a fuller sound (Something which I think the Eden's can lack). My next bass on the list is a Stg II as well :p