Eden vs. SWR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave M, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Dave M

Dave M

Jun 12, 2005
    upper left corner
    Curious about opinions of the D410 XLT vs. the Goliath II or III. Spec's show higher sensitivity and power hansling for the Eden, but I'm looking for sound differences. I haven't had a chance to try the Eden just yet, so I thought I'd pose the question.

I usually use a SM-900 or 400 for amplification, and styles range from rock, fingerstyle or pick, to some blues and even a wee bit o' slap. :D

Any comments on sound differences?
  2. Played many gigs on both. The Goliath III is a great match for the 900... that 900 bridged into an 8ohm GoliathIII really pumps. Does the Goliath II still have the rear porting?... if so... I would avoid that.

There is a large difference in the sounds of those two cabs. Actually the EdenXST matches up a little better to the sound of the Goliath III IMO. The 410XLT is probably the most low-mid punchy cab I've ever played through... absolutely amazing sounding with the WT800.

Basically, IMO, the Goliath III has a little more 'sparkle' in the upper treble range, and a moderate amount of 'scoop' in the mids than the XLT.... the GIII with the 900 is a great 'slap' rig. The XST (again, IMO), falls about in the middle.

I would think if you were combining an SWR head with an Eden cab, the XST model would be the way to go. However, if you like your 900, I'd stick with the GIII... they were literally made for each other.
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    It's my experience that the eden xlt cabs sound much "thicker" than the swr stuff.

If it's any indicator of my fondness for either-both of which I owned and giged for years-I now own neither.

Schroeder: don't gig without one;)

I still own an swr Henry 8x8 though;) I find it to have been a better cab than either, though larger.
  4. Dave M

Dave M

Jun 12, 2005
    upper left corner
    In may case, right now I play through a Goliath II. Sometimes the G-II seems a little light in the lower mids. I also have the tweeter just barely on. Yes, it has the rear port -- not my favorite.

One key reason for asking about the XLT is that right now I can pick one up at a very good price, so the availability for its price is real tempting. That's my reason for asking about it.

5. It's a great cab... big and heavy. However, if you basically like the G II and you are happy with that 900, I might hold out and find a good used G-III. But... if you like lower mids... whooo that XLT is fat!
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000

This is one of the best (and most accurate) comparisons I've run across! I totally agree. See, man: we really are pals! :D

Seriously, I've gigged a lot with both cabs in question, too and echo KJung's comments...and his recommendation.

7. :)
  8. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I love Eden. But then again I'm always trying to jack up the lower-mids on the EQ when I'm not going through an Eden. Never quite sounds the same. :bawl:
  9. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    In a good sounding room a Golaith II can be a GREAT sounding cabinet, but the rear porting means you have to place it correctly. Still, I wouldn't write them off, especially considering how cheap they can be.

The Eden XLT has great punch, strong low mids, a very smooth sound, and sits perfectly in a rock mix.

Also consider the Aguilar GS410, which is very simmilar in price and design to the Eden XLT, but has a little flatter Higher-Fi response. The aggie does not have the low mid "bump" that the Eden has. Sometimes I miss it and sometimes I don't.
  10. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    This may not be an option in your area... but my local Guitar Center was clearing out some of their SWR Goliath III cabs last week at rediculous low prices... if you like the SWR, it may be worth trying. You may even be able to sell them used for a few more bucks than they were being sold new for.
  11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Blown speakers happen, its a fact of life. That being said, I'd personally go Eden since it will be much easier and faster to get an OEM replacement speaker if you blow one. Fender is really screwing the pooch on customer service since it took over SWR. The Eden takeover hasn't affected customer service much, if even at all.

They are both great cabs, by the way . . .
  12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have had a hard time warming up to the goliath 3 series. i owend a goliath 1 (made by eden) for a long time, and i found very little difference between it and the goliath 2 and eden 410t cabs (as they were both slight refinements to the goliath 1)

i used an eden 210xlt for a long time with the swr, and over time i found myself liking the xlt "mid hump" less and less. However, the 410xlt isnt quite as bumped in that area as the 210xlt, and the original 210t's sound very similar to the 410xlt. (are you following all this???)

anyhow, it is largely a matter of taste. i just happened to prefer the goliath/goliath2/eden 410t sound the best. (but as many have said, they dont have quite the low end/low mids as the xlt series)