Eden Vt-300 Tube Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndyGL, Jan 7, 2002.

1. AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    I'm looking for a tube head. I found a Eden VT-300 thats 2 years old at a good price in what the seller calls excellent condition. Anyone out thier with experience with these heads. Although they are a tube head, are they of the same quality construction and sound as the Eden solid state heads.

How do they compare to other modern 300wt tube amps on the market. Any insight or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

2. basshag

Oct 17, 2001
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I've had a VT-300 for about 6 months now, and it's by far my favorite amp. I also have a vintage Ampeg V4-B that I like and a SWR SM400, and I've owned a Mesa Bass 400+, but to me, the Eden wins hands-down. I play an old Gibson Thunderbird through an old SWR Goliath and it's the best tone I've ever had (for my taste). I do know that Eden had some problems with the early footswitches, so you may have to replace that. The tone is super-warm and cuts. If the price is right, I would definitely recommend it highly.
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    FWIW, the Eden tube amps are made by Koch.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the 300's are good, but you're probably gonna want the extra headroom of the newer 400 traveler plus. also, i've heard many say the older ones are prone to generating lots of heat moreso than the newer 400's which still produce some heat.
  5. This is not one of the WT series amps. He's talking about the 300 watt all tube deal made by Koch in the Netherlands. This thing should blow away any of the WT series amps with regard to volume.
  6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    It should but it doesn't. I've owned two. The first one I had had something wrong with it out of the box. It didn't seem to be as loud as it should and also made weird noises so I sent it back. The replacement didn't make any noises but wasn't very loud. At gigs I would have to turn the amp up to 10 to hear it where as, at the same locations with my WT 400, I only had to turn up to 3 or 4. I loved the sound though. It's hard to beat those tubes. It had the standard Eden tone but did it better with deeper lows, highs that were both clearer and warmer. It wasn't very reliable either. I'd be playing and all of a sudden it would stop working. I would have to flip the stand-by switch on and off to get it to work again. I swore off tube heads after that eventhough they sound better.
  7. I remember PsychoBassGuy saying something similar to that. For that price, it should sound great and be loud as thunder. Too bad.
  8. basshag

Oct 17, 2001
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I agree about the volume. My 100 watt V4-B is louder, but it's exactly the volume that I play at - I just add an Eden 210 if I need more. As for the cutting out - that's from the old footswitch. I had that happen once, called Eden and they sent me the new model.
  9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    The cutting out had nothing to do with the footswitch on my amp. It was just a bad amp. I agree with Psycho though. It's a shame because they sound SO good.