Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden VT300B All Tube Bass Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Does anyone have any experience with this amp?
    It seems to be twice the price of most tube amps of the same power and specs?
    why is this and can anyone comment on the tone of this amp, there don't seem to be any reviews I can find online?

2. realdeal

realdeal Banned

Dec 10, 2004
    I don't know the list price of 300, but I thought it was in the same price range as it's all tube counterparts- The SVT-PROII and CL, less than the (discontinued?) Aguilar, and way less than a Demeter all-tube power amp + a Demeter pre. for example......
    More than the Fender(Sunn design) and Mesa 400+ and new all-tube Traynor.
    Outside of Orange and Marshall, I can't think of too many other "production" all-tube bass heads
    So it's high $$ gear, after all it is Eden, but not ridiculously priced- for what it is.

I've used one- If you like Eden tone and eq, you will probably love this amp- It's voiced like the hybrid Eden heads but with a resonance that only an all-tube circuit can produce. I thought it was very transparent, nicely scooped midrange, as much punch as you need- Real Hi-Fi.
    Not my choice, I like a more "colored" tone, but very nice, certainly really well-built too.

Play through one if you get the chance-

3. Has anyone else used this amp that can compare it's tone to some of the other tube heads out there?

4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

There is (or was) one for sale at Bass Alone. Since I don't have any GAS for an amp (my Glockenklang cured me!) I did not try it out.

Dan K.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I just bought one off ebay, so hopefully, I will be able to report back soon on how it sounds, if you are still interested.

Tom.

6. Start a thread on it when you can review it Tombowlus!

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I've played one and posted my comments a while back. Basically, its real lightweight but, in my opinion, is not as warm as some tube amps. The weight is awesome! However, it could use a bit more tone. I liked the sound of the SVT-2 Pro and SVT-II by Ampeg better and the Fender/Sunn 300T better as well. The Eden is fairly Hi-Fi for a tube amp. If you're going for ultimate tube goodness, don't get this. However, if you're looking something that is light and road ready, this is your amp. Its plenty loud as well.
    Oh, this amp is more expensive new than the Mesa 400+ or the Ampeg SVT-CL, and I think more expensive than the SVT-2 as well. Not as expensive as Aguilar though.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Will do! :D

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I had read your prior reviews, and this is part of what inspired me to buy it. I am hoping that it might provide an interesting alternative to some of my other tube amp options (DB 728, DB 359, Mesa Boogie Strategy, Trace Elliot Twin Valve Combo). The Trace is notably more articulate and tight than the others, despite being the least powerful (100w). It might be the NOS GE 6550's, it might be the Trace voicing, and it might be Steve Azola's mods to the enclosure part of the combo, but I like the level of clarity and articulation that I get through it, and I am wondering if the VT 300 (mine is a 300A) might offer some of this as well. At any rate, it should be an interesting option. It appears to be in mint condition, and is loaded with Tung Sol 6550's.

Tom.

10. Sweet, I've been waiting for someone to pick up one of these babies for a review! can't wait... please could include your opinions on its sound in relation to other eden hybrid tube heads, I'm interested to know how different the sound is...

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I saw this same one last week, hope you got a good deal.
    I just got another amp, so it was not a target for me.
    Glad I didn't bid it up on you!

I also look forward to a review.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks for not bidding it up! The end price, with shipping, was $945, which I thought was good for a VT300 in mint condition with a new set of Tung-Sol 6550's.

What other amp did you get?

Tom.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The VT-300A just arrived, and I have to say, I am ga-ga over this thing already! It is in absolute mint condition! Most amps I have seen on the showroom floor don't look this new! Tubes were packaged very nicely (in seperate boxes), and look to be brand spankin' new themselves. With the excellent footpedal, graceful, clean layout, and ease of biasing (with instructions printed on the chassis!), I am about as excited as I have ever been when opening a box fresh off the truck! :hyper:

More to come, for sure!

Tom.

14. Thor

Congrats. that was a steal!

I didn't see your other query before, I got an Eden wt-300
    vintage 1998, in mint condition, 425 with bag. I needed a
    smaller rig, and after looking at the vt 300 on the Eden site
    realized this way way too big for my current needs.

I will probably buy the wt400 upgrade, I have heard that that
    is well worth it.

The Eden is well laid out, the instructions are clear, and it
    is solid and well built. Best of all, I love the tone. I am
    very happy with it as well.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That's a pretty nice deal, too! And FWIW, the VT-300A sure seems a lot heavier than 40 lbs! I'll throw it on a bathroom scale when I get home.

16. Thor

Ok, you had enough time now!

We want a full report to drool over ...

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, it's not anything definitive yet, but check out what I have to say so far here.

Tom