Eden with Epifani???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr_Dave, May 21, 2005.

1. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne

sorry if this has already been covered but i couldn't find anything in the search.

I'm in melbourne, australia and i would have to make a special trip to sydney to try an epifani and i'm wondering if someone can help.

Right now i have australian cabs, lab systems: 210 and 212. I got these to save some weight from my old quad and run at 4 ohms. I like the sound together and the 210 for rehearsals but i don't like the 212 by itself so much. I'm using a GK400RBIII. (underpowered i know)

I like the eden sound and i want to get a WT550.

The ultralight Epifani cabs really interest me. How would a 4ohm quad go with the Eden? I like a full, think kinda midrange sound and i heard the ultra lights have more midrange? I'm doing jazz gigs and some fairly loud funk/dance band gigs but no rock...

I just saw a WT800 second hand at a similar price - how would this go bridged into an 8ohm quad?

What would be more flexible if i was to add other cabs?

and how would the WT550 go at 2ohms with the quad and a 4ohm 15 as well?

Sorry this is so long. i'm just puzzled by all this i want to provide as much background info as possible. :meh:

btw, i'm using a squire jv P bass, a cij 62 reissue jazz and i have a Sadowsky Ultra vintage metro coming!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i've played the eden heads with epifani cabs in the midst of trying about every possible combination at one of my local shops.

IMO, it sounds very nice. The eden WT heads have a somewhat neutral "flat" tone with a bit of warmth that can be very pleasing. The EQ on the WT eden heads is very powerful, so tone adjustments are easy. The Epi UL cabs with 10" drivers have lows that are full and round, very refined mids, and a lot of sheen in the high end. The two seem to go well together. The epifani 10" cabs respond well to EQ tweaks on the eden, so you can dial in a lot of tones.

As the eden WT-550 will do 2 ohms you can use 2 4 ohm cabs. My personal choice would be a pair of Epi 310UL cabs as opposed to the 410 only because the 310 cabs are really portable in terms of size. Both the 310 and 410 UL cabs are nice and light, but the 310 is significantly smaller, and there isnt a huge volume increase in getting a 410. A tad more low end with the 410UL, but it's really hair splitting.

I'm not sure if Epi makes its 115 in a 4 ohm configuration. Campared to the epi 10" boxes, the 15 has a bit more edge to the mids, and a low end that you feel more than hear. Instead of a round full low end, this is a box that gets physical with you. I did notice that the 115 isn't as loud as even the 210UL, so i'm not sure if i would use it with a 310 or 410UL on the same mono amp as it might get lost.
  3. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia

Thanks for replying so quick!

That sounds cool. the reason i wasnt thinking about 2 310's is because, i couldn't really afford to buy 2 at once and i wasn't sure how one would go as a stand alone cab. its 5.3 ohms?? i can't remember. but a pair would be very cool...

thanks for clearing me up about the 15's sound too!

so i guess my question is how would a single 310 at 5.3ohm go against a 410 at 4ohms...

4. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    from what i understand epifani has changed the drivers in the 310 so it is now 4 ohms.

anyhow, the real difference between the 310 at 4 ohms and the 310 at 4 ohms is almost nil.

as far as the 310 vs the 410, there isnt a huge volume difference. maybe a bit more low end due to the bigger box, but not much. I've heard them together and really didnt think that the tiny difference was worth the extra size of the box in terms of transporting.
  5. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Just checked on the epifani website and it says that the ul310 is 4ohms.

My bad.

Sound rocking!
  6. Hi,

You may consider the Epifani 502 Ul amp. It's great amp and sounds really good with the Epifani cabs. It has the same size and weight a the Eden 550, but only goes down to 4 ohm :meh: . Then you can't run two 3x10's but you could get a pair of 2x10's - but still very pricey. I use my 2x10 (4 ohm) at rehearsals and small gigs and it's great small cab. It can get really loud.

My next Epifani cab would be the 4x10. That cab just rocks my world.

7. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi Christian,

Thanks for that! I have seen those new amps and i was interested, again it's just something i can't try that easily but if i'm going to travel to try the cabs i can try the head!

I think i've decided that 1 4ohm ul410 would be my best bet. The quad is a good stage size for my gigs and the weight is more the main consideration for transporting, not the dimensions. At 4ohms, it will really pump too!

The only thing that i wasn't sure about the head is the "growl". I want a bit of tube warmth and grit in my tone whilst still being fairly articulate. I thought the 502 wouldn't be able to do this. My ideal amp would be an Aguilar DB750 but i cant afford it.

But people rave about the epifani amp/cab combination. Perhaps i could use a tube pedal such as the new SVTDI to get more of that tone.

The features look great though, the two channels would be awesome for switching from p bass to sadowsky...

As a reference to something i've heard. in the best and only quality bass shop in Melbourne they have an AG500 and a WT550. I thought the AG500 sounded really nice, deep and articulate but the clean channel was a little to clean and the distortion channel, well, too distorted!! The eden, came to a better compromise, although i didn't like the back pickup tone of my jazz as much.

Blah blah blah,

Man i'm ramblin...

Um, i guess i could have just written: How does the 502 sound and how does it compare to say the WT550 and AG500

Sheeeesh... :( :(
  8. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I was at the Bass Player the other day (Which im guessing is where you are going) and i tried out a WT400 into an Epifani UL410. Sounded great. I currently have a WT550 into a 410XLT and im sick of lugging an almost 50kg 410. After playing the WT400 into the UL at 4 ohms i have pretty much decided that this is the rig that i want to use. Obviously im not gonna buy the WT400 but you can. It was discounted cant remember how much though but it was pretty damn loud, awesome tone. Anyway if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
  9. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Unfortunately, the web site is not technically correct, at least per my conversations with Nick and Frank at Epifani. The UL310 is still 5.33 ohms.

The reason the site says 4 ohms is that they (Epifani) recommend that you treat it as (i.e. use it as if it were) a 4-ohm cab. However, the rating is more accurately 5.33 ohms.
  10. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ah well, question answered.

anyhow, good advice, the 5.3 rating freakes a lot of cats out and they end up doing crazy math trying to figure out volume splits and impedance totals for rigs with these cabs. I've always reccomended just thinking of it as a 4 ohm cab, makes life a lot easier. ;)
  11. I have both a 310UL and a 410UL and I actually experience a HUGE difference in output when you are really cranking. They both sound good, but if you are planning to play at very high volumes, the 410UL puts out a lot more volume in the low end. They are very similar sounding up to a point, but if you were choosing between one or the other, the 410 is not that much larger, not that much heavier and not that much more expensive, and it will literally handle any gig (especially if you get the 4ohm version).
  12. Epifani have made cabs for over 10 years now and their cabs I thinking was made to fit all amps since they didn't had their own amp then. So Eden will work fine and sound good with Epifani cabs.

Maybe I'm just writing because I like Epifani cabs :smug: