1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden woes, part MXLVII(23-2[a]) addendum...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassflute, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    Thought I'd change the tube in my WT800 B today - 40 screws in 5 different sizes later, a bunch of them stripped on me, had to use vise grips to get them out, a bunch of the smaller ones had the heads break off with the slightest turn (about four). All in all, 9 chassis screws are now disfunctional. Just to change the ******* tube.

No, I didn't overtorque them - I was taking them out. The ones that broke just disintegrated. The ones that stripped on me, well, not much I could have done about that - they just spin around endlessly in the chassis. VERY cheap screws, all of them. I'm going to have to go to Home Depot and get some decents ones, and I guess I'll see if warranty will have someone drill out the broken ones.

:mad::mad::mad:

Unbelievable. How much could some decent screws possibly add to the cost of this $1800.00 amp? And do we really need 5 different sizes?

And we've asked for a tube compartment door for years... ain't gonna happen. Gotta take the rack ears off... this is just plain dumb.

Berg IP very soon for me... sick of this piece of crap, and the company that made it.

Sorry - venting....

:mad:

Cheers,
    Cameron

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Funny you mention this. About a third of the screws on my Nav got their heads sheared off when trying to remove them over a year ago. Very cheap screws indeed.

David Nordschow really sold out quality when he turned the manufacturing side of things over to another company. I know that's never the intention, but Eden Electronics sure isn't what it used to be.

3. Ouch. That really sucks. Hard to imagine what would happen if you needed service done to your amp. Probably would just have to replace a bunch of stuff.

4. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    hmmmmmm, how weird

5. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    i suggested a clip cover over the area where the tube was, or something like what you have for the battery on the back of an active bass, i thought that would be cool

6. lowmid1

lowmid1 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    My Nav has pem nuts that the screws go into and I have never had a problem with stripping or shearing off screws?

7. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Wow!
    That is very CRAPPY!
    My old 90's heads had good quality screws

8. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    mmm.. sounds familiar... threaded holes with machine screws would prevent that, instead of the sheet metal screws that were on my deceased 800C..
    I think Thunderfunk uses PEMS.. thats the way to go when you spend that type of money on an amp..

9. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Yes, it is a pain to take out the screws to remove a preamp tube, but, how often do you change preamp tubes?

For starters if you paid $1800 for a WT800 you need to learn how to shop better, and for the different screw sizes.....again, how often are you changing the preamp tube??

Who offers a tube compartment door?? it's a great idea but unless it can be accessed through the face of the amplifier it is pretty much useless because if your amp is in a rack (as most are) you need to remove it anyway.

So why are you waiting to get rid of it? your issues with Eden have been going on for what 2+ years now??
    I sided with you many times in your struggles that you had with Eden but there comes a point in time where your constant complaining about a company really just makes you look foolish.

If you don't like a product...move on, get over it, there is more to life then bass amplification mfg's.
    Sell it, buy something new, be happy again.

10. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    maybe not a common feature, but the SWR IOD that I owned had the tubes easily accessible with their own access panel in the rear face, so I was able to swap the power tubes and preamp tube pretty easily without taking it out of the rack. also was easy to see if they lit up properly.

anyways, im disappointed to hear that about your amp. i'm happy i never had to deal with any of Eden's amp issues, but I was very happy with their cabs. the screws on my old XST were solid, as was the build quality overall (awesome). strange how there is such a big difference between their amp and cab quality...

i would be frustrated too.

11. send all the scews to Fran-Dan in Cambridge, Ma. and they will send you back another set of hardened, stainless or whatever as they only deal with screws and bolts and they have everything.

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Since mine sheared, the screw shafts are still in the holes and would have to be drilled out in order to send them.

Frankly I'm not going to bother with drilling each of those suckers out and get metal shavings inside the circuitry. Amp's rack mounted anyway so the casing isn't going anywhere.

13. That sucks. My YBA200 has a little port in the top that comes off with 4 screws so you can access the preamp tubes.

But I've noticed that hybrid amps tend to be less accessible tube wise, I guess they figure people who buy them don't fiddle as much as people who buy all tube.

14. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I'll buy that WT800B off ya, for $700. I'll gladly spend the time drilling and screw-extracting to salvage that amp and then go buy all stainless-steel screws to replace them.

This ain't the only time I've heard of crappy screws ruining a product. My Ibanez had its screw heads strip to nothing after only two removals of the electronics plate for changing the battery. So I sized up the screw, and ordered up the same screw in SS. Haven't had a problem since.

Same deal happened with my brother's Gator rack. Great rack nuts, horrible rack screws.

The screws on my WT550 are just fine. Your amp coulda got a batch of crap screws shipped at the time the amp was assembled. It happens.

15. von buck

von buck

Feb 22, 2008
    wolcott ct.
    The last time my repair guy opened my Eden, he replaced all the screws with heavy duty ones. Mine seems to have to be opened quite a bit over the years (yes it's old)

Andy

16. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I had a WT405 for awhile and screws seemed fine... that is until my two year old flushed them down the toilet. I put them in a sandwich baggie to make sure I didnt lose them when I took the cover off. So my son comes along and scoops them up when I wasnt looking and dumps the entire bag into the toilet and flushes them. I emailed Eden about 6 times asking for replacements. They replied to my email the first time, but then nothing happened. Couple weeks later I send another email. Nothing. This kept happening. I then emailrd Lane and he offered assistance, but again after the initial email, there was no follow-up and I never heard from him again. I ended up getting some replacements from a local hardware store. A few months later sold the amp.

People aren't kidding when they say Eden customer service sucks. Heck man, they couldnt even get a few screws right! I'd hate to have a major problem.

Even though I really like the sound of their amps, I wont buy another Eden simply because of their very poor cs.

17. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    After reading your post I went home and popped the top of two of my Eden amps, a WX260 and a WT405.

Easy as pie, no stripped or broken screws, all it required was a phillips screwdriver and the skill required to use one.

18. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Wow! A Phillips! You know how to use one of those? Man, that's awesome. Maybe I can hire you to come over and show me how to use one....

:rollno:

First off, I'm 49 years old... I've used a screwdriver once or twice before thanks. The screws in this thing are inferior. They broke while removing them, not installing them. I used the appropriate tool for the job. A 260 and a 405 ain't no 800B: it takes 3 sizes of Phillips to get the ****** thing apart just to change the tube, all of which I used. I didn't strip the heads, the threads were stripped inside and the screw just spun around endlessly. I changed the tube in my old Trace probably 15 times and never had a problem. I had an even worse nightmare putting this thing back together - those silly little nuts that they glue on the inside started falling out inside the unit. A total **** ** *** ***.

This is the hokiest assembly procedure I have seen in an amp that has been around for almost 20 years - you'd think they would have streamlined stuff by now.

Cheers,
    Cameron

19. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    I paid $1800.00 because that is what they were 2 years ago in Canadian dollars.

I am just getting over purchasing an MTD 635, so I can't quite do the IP thing yet or I would have.

And as thing thing is 2 years old, I thought it was probably a good idea to change the preamp tube as preventive maintenance.

I'll be moving on as soon as I am financially able to, don't worry.

Cheers,
    Cameron

20. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I hear ya Bassflute, there's nothing more aggravating than hardware failures like yours.

Amp companies certainly aren't the only manufacturers to try and save a few pennies per unit on substandard hardware.
    You'll find it used liberally in all kinds of bargain to mid priced products. Premium priced items like yours should definitely come with premium hardware. (I think the glued in nut thing is kinda flaky too)

I'm guessing your screws may have also been torqued past their threshold. The assemblers probably used the same torque specs that worked well with quality hardware, but this was just to tight for the cheapies to even have a chance.