Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WP100 Nav and flexibility

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by taviswardlaw, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Hey T.B-ers
    I'm looking for a new pre amp, with the focus on flexibility, seeing as I play a wide range of styles... I was thinking along the lines of the Eden WP100, has anyone had experience with this model, or others that are really tonally diverse and precise?
    Thanks for your input.
    :D

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Flexible? Absolutely.

Precise? What do you mean by precise? Hi-fi? No, not really. It's one of the more colored preamps out there IMO. It has quite a bit of wool in the mids which Eden is kind of known for. Even with its powerful EQ, it's hard to uncolor. A leopard can't really change its spots, y'know?

That said, it is one of my favorite pre's. It cuts through like nobody's business and has lots of actually usable features.

3. I'm not sure I know what you mean by color?
    I was also looking at the wp100.Does that mean the mids are a bit muddy no matter how you e.q. it?
    And would a Crown P.T.3 be a good amp to use with it?

4. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    I heard you have to have a degree in engineering to use it...j/k
    I'm interrested in one too, but if the mids are muddy I'll look elsewhere. It would replace my Trace and it's gotta growl to work for me.

5. Mud is not what he means by 'wool.' I think he means like warm and kind of more present and soft. I think.

6. sorry... by precise i just meant you could get the exact tone you're looking for, some pre's, no matter how much you tweak them are always a little bit off...

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Navigator is as flexible as those girls in Cirque de Soleil.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I use a Nav powered through a QSC PLX3002. Its tone is incredibly flexible, great internal compressor, great effects blending options, tube drive, enhance, you name it. It is very gig friendly, can be set up mono or bi-amp with internal crossover depending on your cab setup. Its easy to setup once you know what everything does. Great tones start with everything straight up at 12:00, and highly tweakable from there.

It does have that "Eden tone", it won't be transparent like an Avalon U5, it will add some grunt and color to your tone, but IMO that's a good thing. If you want totally transparent tone unaltered from your bass, this isn't the pre for you. If you want some oomph, grunt, grind, and flexibility, it has that in spades.

9. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    Sounds like I'll pick one up... :D

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Navigator in my rack, and while I agree that it is somewhat colored, if you set the "Enhance" to about 9 o'clock, it somewhat balances out. At any rate, with a good clean power amp (I use mine with either a PLX 3002 or CA9), it is a very clear, tight, balanced tone. I own an iAMP 800 and a Walter Woods Ultra, and my rack rig sounds just as good tonally at low volumes, but with my big amps, it has even more headroom for high volume scenarios.

There are a number of really great preamps out there. I always liked the sound of Demeter, and some of the Aguilar preamps are beautiful sounding. If you haven't already, check out basstasters.com. I think that the Navigator can hang with about any of these, but it does offer more flexibility than most. Its signal routing options are unmatched, as far as I can tell. The compressor is excellent and very usable. I do find that I am not using the majority of its features on a regular basis (and I have never used more than two bands of the parametric EQ), but on the occassions where I did want these options, it's nice to have. Back when I used rack-mount effects gear, these worked phenomenally well through the side-chain effects loop.

So, give a listen to Todd's clips at basstasters, but I think that the Navigator is a great preamp.

11. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I agree with the above posts for the most part. I've had both the Nav and the WT800. The comments regarding color are true for me too. But overall a great pre with great features. (I would have designed the bi-amp section to resemble what Yamaha did with the PB-1 however.)

I just preferred the sound of my Demeter after years of using the Eden. The Eden is not hi-fi I agree completely. The Demeter is more open, hi-fi and natural sounding to my ears. Like Tom, I dialed the enhance knob on the Eden to the 9:00 position and left it there for 5 years. I found it was difficult to get away from the colored sound and still retain most of the positive aspects of this piece of gear, which is why I switched finally. But its slicing hairs for most folks, its so easy to get a great basic tone with that thing and the flexible EQ makes fine tailoring easy. With a good power amp you can slay dragons with that setup.

12. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    The bottom line for me is how it sounds in the situation that you are playing in. I have the all-eden power and preamp rig (WT-1000 and WP-100) through an Aggie GS212 and it sounds "OK" noodling around solo...I'd probably rather have a Kern or Demeter or something...all of those things that people have been saying about Eden: the "wool" and it being midrangey, etc. are pretty accurate to my experience. HOWEVER, add drums, keys, and a couple loud guitars and this amp is the best thing ever. So, are you dropping big duckets to sound good ALONE (solo jazz, acoustic sets, etc) or are you filling up the sound of a band (more specifically, one that RAWKS)? If you deal with loud guitars, keys, etc. in a rock mix, from jam-band stuff to death metal, the Eden "coloration" may be just what the doctor ordered. By the way...I am looking at going from my Aggie 2x12" to two Eden 210XLT's to take advantage of some of the crossover and effects routing features of the pre. Good luck whatever you decide!

13. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I used a Navigator for serveral years, running direct into the PA. Great tone. Period. Any musician in the crowd (especially bassists) would never fail to comment on the fullness and richness of my bass. It was one of the best pieces of gear I have ever owned, and I often regret selling it off (in a weak moment). It was replaced by an Eden WT330 Time Traveler however, which also boasts the "Eden" sound. I switched over due to band situation changes, and I needed an amp to play LOUD through, and I went with a modular set-up. I still get compliments evry show on how great my bass sounds.

Fair warning: Eden tone is to die for, and you may never go back
    !
    :bassist:
    Mark

deManBass

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    absolutely the most flexible preamp out there in terms of eq and routing options. yes, it's definitely "colored" kinda like a warm version of swr (if that makes any sense). still one of my all time favorite preamps. i hadda sell my wt-400, but i'll definitely pick up a nav or wt-550 in the future.

i did a lot of preamp comparisons at g guitars. the eden is great sounding, nowhere near as "colored" as the aggie 659, (which also sounds great). comparison with the demeter preamps revealed that the edens lows aren't as tight and controlled as i initially thought. demeter definitely wins out in this regard, especially the hbp-1, which owes its tight sound to the solid state output of the circuit, as opposed to the 201's all tube setup. the agilar 680 also has a tighter low end. alembic's tone is also on the more "colored" side, but has a "warmer" and "bigger" sounding low end. even so, the eden is one heck of a preamp, and is second to none in the flexibility department.

15. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    +1 X1000 :D