Eden WP100 + Power Amp Vs. WT1205.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by popinfresh, May 31, 2005.

1. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Just interested to see what you guys opinion of this would be?
    I'm just making sure I think of everything possible before sinking my money in a new amp (Looking at a Sunn 300T right now).
    I've always liked Eden's sound, especially the growling sound artists can get with them. Just wondering if they can get a nice smooth warm sound too, as well as their 'hi-fi' sound?

The features I like on the WP100 are pretty much the Semi-parametric EQ, compressor, variable crossover etc. The one Also, i've just started reading around on these, whats the reliability of them like?
    The only problem with getting a Pre/power setup over here, is finding a cheap enough power amp that's fairly light (preferrably). Does anyone know of any poweramps where the voltage can easily be changed? (I like the look of Stewart poweramps, not sure if I can get one here though, and for what price).

The things I like about the WT1205 is it's a powerfull amp, that has fairly good features. I don't think i'd use the two channels to their full potential though. Has anyone compared this amp to a Thunderfunk? And what's the main sound difference between this and the WT800 (Maybe i'd be better with an 800 as it has all the EQ etc I like..) Also, whats the reliability like on these units?

I am looking for a warm tone, something that's nice and punchy/thumpy and can growl. Something that can cut through a mix easily.

What do you think would be the better option? Or do you think i'd still be better off with the Sunn 300T (Or something else). The reason i'm thinkin away from the Sunn a little bit is the 'slow' tube reaction. I don't think i'd really mind in the band setting (There are some cases where I need quick and punchy/cutting tone though), but I play alot of slap/tap outside of that band.

I was thinking other pairing the Sunn with some Eden cabs (410XST or XLT), do you think the 'hi-fi' eden cabs would give me a bit more of what i'm after if I went all tube?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I think you are misinterpreting the tube knob on the Edens as "overdrive". Its not. Its a tube drive character function, not a distortion/overdrive circuit. While you can get a tad of a grind from it if you crank it, it isn't overdrive in the sense that such term is usually considered. That's why it isn't footswitchable. It adds tube-like harmonic content to the tone, not distortion.

My Navigator preamp was built in 1996, according to its back panel, and I've gigged heavily with it and never had a single issue with it. I like the fact that I can swap out power amps from time to time and never worry about having to swap the entire rig. I like modular. I use mine with a QSC PLX3002 power amp that's super light. I get 900 watts PER SIDE into 4 ohms, and 2000 watts when bridged. Never an issue there.
  3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Noted and edited :)

Hows the tone of your Navigator? Can it get nice and warm/smooth amungst others?
  4. I'd suggest a Nav with 1 or 2 Eden 215XLT's, or a 210XLT and a 215XLT. The 215XLT's are truly things of beauty/booty. I tried it out with a WT400, which is similar to a Nav, and it was VERY warm and VERY smooth.
  5. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^Hmmm, i'll go try out a few Eden amps tomorow if I can. The only thing i'm worried about with 2x15's is I won't have enough punch/cutting ability in a band setting as i'd like..
  6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    All of Eden's 15" loaded cabs sound great, with lots of focus and punch to balance their serious bottom end.

WT800 is a great head, 1205 looks great to me since I use two basses a lot of the time, and if you want to go with seperates check out Eden's power amps along with the QSCs and Crowns. Eden makes a great amp, all around.