Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WP100 preamp vs Eden WT550 preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jibreel, Feb 3, 2006.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    First, please forgive my ignorance as I am just getting into the Eden’s.

My stuff:

Turner Ren 5-strings both a fretless and a fretted
    Rob Allen MB-2 5-string fretless
    Eden WT 550 preamp/amp
    Acoustic Image contra combo amp/cab
    Acoustic Image extension cabinet

I use the Contra combo by itself
    I am just starting to use the WT550 into the extension cab

I am experimenting with going out of the WT550 recording xlr output straight into the Contra amp. So I am using two preamps and the AI power amp. I like the added warmth of the Eden along with the semi-parametric eq. If I was to continue with this setup, it would seem to make more sense to sell the WT550 and just get a WP100.

I am obviously after the more " organic/acoustic" sound given my basses. I mostly play world music venues.

So the question is:

How much more sound quality/sound control would the WP100 preamp provide over the preamp in the WT550?

Thanks for any input

Jibreel

P.S. I am lucky to live in Seattle so I get to experiment a lot at Bass Northwest. I have tried quite a few cabinets and I think the AI cabinets are right up there at the top. Do keep in mind that I play at substantially lower volumes than most of you probably do and in mostly acoustic settings. I got an EA VL110 today from Bass NW { used } and compared it to the AI cab. It is great, but I am going to stick with the AI

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It sounds a little kooky to me. Why do you need two preamps, and do you think the power amp in the AI sounds better than that of the Eden? It just seems like a lot of unnecessary finagling to me. The Eden has arguably the best EQ section on the planet. I'd keep it simple and just run the Eden by itself. I don't think you're going to improve on the sound by lugging all that extra gear just to have compound tone controls.

Oh yeah, to answer your question. If you use the WP-100, the idea makes even less sense from a tone perspective, but now you will need the power section of the AI. But I sure wouldn't contaminate the WP-100's EQ section with that of the AI.

No sir, I'd just use the WT-550 by itself.

3. I wouldn't expect the WP100 to sound much different than the WT series amps. The EQ section is the same. The big differences are that the WP100 has a better, more adjustable compressor and the tube character circuit (which you probably wouldn't use).

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    the advantage I could see with the wp100 would be foot switchable mute, enhance, compressor bypass, and turbo boost which I understand as a volume boost. so you could have, sort of, two tones and two volumes for a gig.

but I will also say the wt550 is an excellent piece of equipment! use it with a great 110 or 112 and call it good.

5. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Thanks for your input guys.

So many high quality options. Arghhhhhhh!

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I personally own both Wt-550 and WT-800, and my friend owns a WP-100 with a Crest CA-6, so I think I can answer this one.

First off, the Eden eq is "it" for sure. I try many, many other eq/amps, but I keep on coming back to Eden for it's tone.

The preamp section of the WT-550 and WT-800 are identical, and the Wp-100 is virtualy the same thing as well. I believe that the only difference with the WP-100 is the compressor is a little different, and some of the controls that are on the back of the amp on the WT-550 and WT-800 are now on the fron panel. Outside of that, the differences are minimal.

My advice would be to just keep what you have and don't get rid of the WT-550. The 550 is easily the best amp that I've owned in all the years I've been playing in terms of size and weight to it's power ratio. It's hard to find little amps that act like larger ones, so you never know when that power may com in handy. So all in all, keep what you have because the difference in moving up to the WP-100 just isn't worth it.

7. MegaBassET

MegaBassET

Dec 1, 2005
    Milan

That's my opinion.
    I switched to wp100 (from WT400) exactly for these features.
    Cheers, Ettore

8. +1 all the way around!