Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden wp100 preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jawzzz, Oct 20, 2003.

1. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Can someone tell me if the Eden navigator has any tubes in it? If so, how many and what kind. I have just aquired one off of e-bay and it won't be here until mid-week. I hope that this preamp lives up to it's Talk Bass reputation. Any input will be helpful.:)

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It, like all the WT series amps, has a 12AX7 dual-triode preamp tube in it. It's more likely a 7025 which, I am informed, is a low-noise version of the 12AX7. However, most modern 12AX7s are low noise, and other sources say the 7025 is a little brighter and has higher gain. So there you are.

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Great preamp, you'll like it!

4. Check this out!

http://www.eden-electronics.com/100.html

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Thanks Munji. Treena, I had tried the Eden site, but it was not very specific on what tubes were in the preamp.Thanks for the link anyway.:)

I have noticed that most companies use only one preamp tube, but on the SVP pro, there are four(12ax7).Is there really a big difference in how many tubes the preamp uses? By the way, I really love the sound of the SVP.

6. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If you really love the soud of the SVP, why did you buy the Eden?

7. I say yes, there is a difference in the sound depending on how many tubes are used. The sound can change if you change the brand of tube you use also!

4 tubes in the pre, I would guesstimate that 3 of these are in the EQ circuit and 1 is actually the preamp section, so your Eq abilities will differ from an amp with only 1 tube in the entire pre section.

Make sense?

I like the SVT 4 also.

[​IMG]
    Treena

8. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I like to mess around with different pre's. Nobody around here stocks eden gear, so I have to buy one to see if I like it. I live by the saying "You never know if you like it until you try it".

Thanks again Treena.:)

9. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    Well, my Eden Navigator arrived today. WOW! This thing is as good as everyone here has said it was. I especially like the semi parametric eq. I can pretty much dial in any sound that I want. I am running it through a Crown CE 1000 to my SVT 610hlf on one side and a BXT 410hl/BXT 15 on the other side(450 watts@4 ohms chan. A and 600 watts @ 2ohms chan. B). It is louder than I will ever need.:bassist:

10. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Sweet, glad you like it.....are you using the biamp setup on it?

11. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    No, I have have not tried the bi-amp yet. Does it work good?

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Dunno, I only own one cab, but think it would work great......since it has the adjustable crossover, and balance on the pre.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    As a very happy Navigator owner, I can say that yes, the bi-amp function works very well. However, since I have bought better cabs (EA, Epi, etc.), I prefer to run my cabs full range. Still, it's fun to have options. And if nothing else, the Navigator certainly does provide you with options!

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to assist as well as I can.

Enjoy, Tom.

14. I like the new Groove Tubes 7025 as well as the Eden branded 7025 in the Nav.

I think you'll find the bi-amp mode is fun to play with but in the context of a live situtation, you'll be the only one who knows it's bi-amped. It adds another layer of tone control that really doesn't get past the stage. I recommend full range fun!!

15. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I finally tried the bi-amp feature over the weekend. I agree, it does add another layer of sound. It should be useful when I start to gig and have to use more volume, but at home it is not neccessary. This has turned out to be a very wise purchase for me. I won't knock Ampeg, but Eden is the top choice for me now.:)