Eden WT-1550/WP-100 vs. Aguilar DB 750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Reff, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Eden WT-1550/WP-100

13 vote(s)
  2. Aguilar DB 750

22 vote(s)
  3. Other (Please specify)

0 vote(s)
  1. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    What would you go for if you had the choice ?

I've tried the DB 750 and liked it a lot, but my fear is that there's something out there that I haven't tried yet - also it's a little expensive.

Got a chance to test the WT-1550 shortly and liked it to, but my experience with Eden is that they lack headroom.

Am I missing some kind of brand that you guys think I should try out ?

Right now I'm playing a G-K 1001 and 2 x 410RBH.

I'm looking for a clean sound with lots of punch and headroom - and if it's the right amp, money is no object.

Thanks in advance :)
  2. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I'm kinda an Ampeg guy so I don't really have a helpfull opinion on the other two... but It seems to me that your GK rig should be doing exactly what you described. What's lacking?
  3. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    The RB 1001 sound is somewhat "closed" - and I'm surprised to say so does the Aguilar AG500 SC. I think "boxy" is a good word. There's a major difference when you do an A/B-test with the DB 750. The DB 750 has a much more open and natural tone. So I'm basically saying that I want a more high-end sound than the G-K can provide.
  4. From the way you describe the 500 and the GK vs. the 750, it seems to me you are looking for a more 'tube' sounding amp. The 750 sounds relatively 'tubey' to me for a hybrid, but it's very large and heavy (as many have stated on other threads).

For a hybrid head that is much smaller, less expensive, still very powerful and relatively 'tubey' sounding, the Mesa MPulse600 might be worth looking into. I believe they are approximately $1,300, and are about 25 pounds and two rack spaces, and put out full power into 4ohms. Again, from your comments, might be worth checking out.

Also, it seems that there are a lot of 'used/like new' 750's posted for sale regularly.... my guess is people purchasing them and not being able to deal with the weight after a while. So, if you decide to go that route, you should be able to find a used one for around $1,500 or so in 'like new shape'.
  5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I loved my Aggie 750 and at lower volumes I have not played through ANY amp that provides as much warmth as the aggie. But alas, like many others here. I got tired of the weight (the heaviest 47 lbs. I've ever lifted) and bulk of the Aggie. Also in some rooms all that extra warmth was sometimes tough to dial out and unless I wanted to sound like a sub with no definition it was hard to control. The Aggie 750 sounds great "in the store" but you have to be very careful with the bottom end of that amp in many rooms. I am discovering more and more that rigs that sound great in the store may not always be the ticket in a band setting live. Getting definition 50-100' from the stage calls for a lot less bottom end then we like to hear out of our "killer" rigs. Also if your getting any PA help, most sound men give you "more then enough" bottom end live.
  6. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    The only Mesa Boogie head I have tried is the 400+ and that didn't appeal to me. One good thing about Mesa is that they have lots of headroom (as I recall)

I'm looking forward to hear from someone who tried the WT-1550 - it has two tube-driven tone controls and a nice tone.

The DB 750 costs between 3500$ and 4000$ here in Denmark - and for that prize I want to make sure that it is the right stuff.
  7. FYI....The 400 is a totally different thing than the MPulse line.
  8. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Yeah - it's not an all-tube head. Which amp would you compare it to ?
  9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I *really* like the WP100 Navigator. I pair it with a qsc/plx1602, run it bridged into a schroeder 410.
    The WP100 is a very nice preamp, lots of bells and whistles, nice eq section, great DI...
    I've not used the DB750, but would like to try one.
    The nav-qsc in a light rack with a korg dtr tuner is pretty managable.
  10. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    The Navigator as a lot of options and I like that - especially the eq very powerfull stuff.
    How about the compressor - is it worth mentioning ?
  11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I do use it, and it's adjustable for gain and threshold...
  12. :) Hi REFF
    In your original post you seemed to be refering to the WT1550
    as a bass amp(with EQ section :eyebrow: ). It does have two tone controls but they just help dial in the sound.

The WT1550 is a power amp, as is the WT1250 and both are meant to be linked to a WP100Navigator Preamp.

I've had an Eden WT550 for coming up to a year now and am very happy. The WT800/WT1205/WP100Navigator have adjustable compression, the pre amp section in my 550 is almost identical. They're an excellant amp with a clean transparent warm and massive sound. Very musical with a powerful pre amp section where every adjustment makes a difference to the sound, yet easily dialed in.

Check out :www.eden-electronics.com and checkout product listing for details and if you have questions make sure you check out the forum and ask away bud, you'll find a friendly crew more than willing to help and advise, it's one of the best forums out there.

One thing - It's very common for people to buy one Eden piece and to suddenly get a very bad case of GAS for more. You have been warned :bassist:
  13. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    the navigator compressor is top notch

i love my nav more than anything
  14. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    I knew that the WT-1550 is a poweramp and generally I think that Eden has a nice tone.
    The thing I would like to hear about from other Eden users is there experience with the poweramps (WT-1000, WT-1250 and WT-1550) - do they have enough headroom ?
    And their thoughts about the Nav preamp both as a preamp and as a direct box going into a PA system.

But I will for sure check out the Eden Forum :)
  15. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I used to use the Nav with the WT1000. It was a great rig. I now use the DB750. The 750 into 4 ohms, oddly enough, was MUCH louder than the WT1000 bridged into 4 ohms. I haven't tried Eden's newer power amp to compare.
  16. :cool: Just makin' sure bro.
    I think you'll find Eden power rating on the conservative side
    Reff, all of 'em have 3db headroom. When I bought my 550 it was rated at 300 into 8, 500 into 4 and 650 into 2, they later changed the rating to 750 at 2ohms to more accuratelty reflect it's output - they aren't into over stating their ratings.

17. Lack Headroom? I have not tried the WT1000 or the WT1205 but I can easily say the WT1550 has a ton of head room. I have A/B'd it to my Crest CA9 and I much prefered the sound of my WT1550 paired with my Navigator. I have tried the DB 750 in stores but no A/B comparison yet. So far the impression I have of the DB 750 is that yes its loud but I find the tone to be less flexable. I think my Eden is more flexable tone wise. With my Eden I can go from Jaco to Funk to Raggae to Rock and anything in between. The DB 750 seemed like a nice round furry sound but I couldnt hone in on a Jaco mid peaky sound since there is no parametric eq. The bottom was pretty nice as well as the highs but the mid voice I didnt care for.

I would still like to A/B the DB 750 with my Eden to see how they would really compare with all things being equal.
  18. lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    while i can´t talk for the wt800, i own a wt400+210xst and a db750+db410.
    i´m keeping both of those rigs, that already says a lot.
    the eden is clearer and more cutting through, burk48237 made a good statement about the aggie and definition at a gig/rehearsal.
    the more complicated the room gets, the more the eden sound will win. on it´s own, it doesn´t sound that great (don´t get me wrong - i love the sound, i mean compared to the aggie here), but as soon as the whole band is playing, it blends perfectly, and what you perceived before as "insistent" upper mids translates into "wow, everybody can hear exactly which note i´m playing".
    the aggie, on the other hand, really has that wonderful sound, and when i got my aggie rig a few months ago, at the first rehearsal i thought "wow, now i remember again - i play bass ! i can hear bass ! i can feel bass !". and never forget the massive headroom the db750 has.

alotabass made a good statement about the eq options...it comes down to the kind of player that you are, it seems to me that there are basically on one side the eq tweakers, and on the other side the guys (like me) that only do minimal corrections on the eq, i like to hear the most natural sound of my instrument and fingers and just tweak to compensate for room probs, but never to get "that" sound (i´m not saying the eq tweakers don´t sound good, both of those camps get a god sound by going different routes).

one interesting (and difficult) thing to compare is the di sound, because you usually have to rely on the comments of other people, and you never bring both rigs to a gig, so you can´t a/b, it would have to be a venue that you play in regularly, and then you bring one time rig a and the next time rig b and see what happens. i haven´t had such a chance in a long time.

but maybe i will lug both heads to my home studio in the near future and compare how they record. :)

so much for now, i can´t vote though cause i like ´em both.