Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT-300...500 bucks!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I know : what a ripoff ! Who would pay $500 for a brand nobody has even heard off.

2. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Um I'm assuming that was sarcastic but even still this is a crazy deal dropping it to almost half I believe of what it was before.

3. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Forgot the ;)

4. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    And now it's been discontinued :eek:

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO, i'd get the WT400. its got the compressor which is handy, and also, i've heard that cooling is more effective on the improved 400's, considering the older 300's were known for overheating.

6. Get a WT-400 if you really want to go Eden. The built-in compressor on the WT-300 is a Tone Suck Device for any low B that has even the slightest bit of booty to it.

7. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I would get an Eden if I had the money for it... I would've bought that head for 500 bucks too bad its not around anymore. I don't wanna go used either, I just have a "thing" that I don't like used stuff.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd buy a WT-300 for $500 long before I'd buy a WT-400 at $989. A couple dB of volume ain't worth $489.

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    By the way, I've owned my WT-300 for over six years, and the cooling fan has come on only once. It doesn't overheat.

Tone suck? Then the WT-400 must sound absolutely incredible if it sounds better than the 300. Never had a problem getting any "booty" out of it, either. I've never cranked the bass shelf or semi-parametric past 1 o'clock (12 o'clock is flat).

10. Actually, come to think of it...

You could buy a WT-300 new for $500, and then send it to Eden to get the WT-400 upgrade for $200.

Then you'd have a brand new WT-400 for $700, which is an amazing deal.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've had exactly the same experience - it realy frightened me when the fan come on one day in a sweaty rehearsal room - I couldn;t think what it was.

The compressor doesn't engage unless you put the gain up beyond a certain level and there is a light to tell you so it's working so you don't ever need to have the compressor on at all!

Like Munji I get fantastic tone and bass response - I also usually leave everything flat.

Quite funny really - every previous amp I had - like Trace Elliot, Hartke, Peavey etc. I would always be fiddling about with all the controls to get that elusive "tone" - but the WT300 is always just plug in and go - never change anything!

12. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA

This to me, is the best thing about my WT-400... I plug it in, and right from the go, with everything set flat, I get great tone. I have never bothered to fiddle much with the nobs, cause it sounds great flat. The low end friggin cooks - gotta love it.

Great amp.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man, that's a good deal. Hell, used, I got mine for about 450(ish, I can't recall precisely).

And I don't think they suck tone. I do boost my bass up, because my bass isn't really a thunk bass, but I've never really had a problem with tone suckage. Just keep the enhance knob cut completely, and it's most booty rattling. heck, even at 1 or 2, the enhance knob still leaves plenty of booty.

14. Did I have a bad unit or something?

OK, so I'd set the input gain at 4 or lower so as not to trigger the compressor, and thus have to crank the master volume. Result: NOISE.

Then I'd try setting the input gain at 5 or 6 and drop the master back down. Result: the compressor would fart out really badly on notes below E.

The built-in compressor on my Fafner doesn't do that, and I can bypass it without having to alter my pre-gain settings.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Might be. I never had any farting problems, and I play in in A below B...I think maybe you had a lame mule or something. I had the gain at about 9-12 (depending on rooms and practice) and the volume at about 9-11, but never more than 1 (during one gig). I never had a fart at all.

:confused:

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Peter ~

FWIW, that Fafner is one of very few amps that I would consider if I ever, for some insane reason, wanted to change brands. I played one over at John DiMaggio's and was very impressed. If you're used to the Faf, there may be good reason to prefer it over the WT-300.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think Munji is trying to tell us something. I mean, we never see any dates on these pics of his...is it possible that he's just frontin' Eden, and is now packin' der Fafner?

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Munji has spoken. :cool:

19. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i even prefer SWR (older) to eden but i admit i pulled out the ol check book to see if it were possible. and by the way the fafner freakin rips. so does the 350. the only amp i would rather have than mine.