Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT-300 Cooling Fan?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Audiosolace, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I recently bought an Eden Traveler and when I broke it out at band practice, it got hotter than shyt and the fan never kicked on. Sounded tube-a-licious, but I couldn't get over that pit of my stomach uneasiness that it caused.

Anyone else have this problem, or do I just have a broken fan? Then, if its broken, how do go about I fixing it?

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I've never had any trouble with my fan. It kicks on when it needs to and shuts down thereafter. I've never noticed any unusal heat. Try a local repair dude for a fix. It should be very easy. Otherwise, send it to Eden and be prepared to W A I T awhile. Their restructuring probably isn't going to speed up any service repairs.

3. Audiosolace

Audiosolace Guest

Oct 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah, I didn't even have the patience to wait the "few weeks" that it would've taken to get a response from Eden's customer service department, which is why I posted my concern on the board instead. Anyway, I guess what I'll do is just go have it checked out - better safe than sorry when dealing with expensive electronic equipment.

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Yeah, it's always a good idea to play it safe. Repairing a fan will be much less painful then repairing a fried head.

5. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Yeah, get it checked out, but don't be surprised if he says it's operating normally.

I'm led to understand that the fans on those things don't normally kick on unless they get superhot. A buddy has one and he said it never kicked on until he mounted the amp in a rack case (which would reduce natural heat dissipation.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've had mine for over 7 years, and the fan came on once at an outdoor gig where it was in direct sunlight on a 100+ degree day. That's it. Never any problems.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm with Munji - I've had mine for several years and the fan only came on once or twice and really surprised me.

I would suspect that you are pushing it too hard, to drive more than it's meant to - but the times when mine has come on have been when it's really hot - in a stuffy rehearsal room for example.

Maybe you need to let more air into your rehearsal room or get everybody to play more quietly?

8. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    My wt 300 (upgraded to 400 watts) fan rarely ever comes on... even when pushing the funky 2.6 ohm load from both my cabs.... it is warm to the touch, but not anything I've ever worried about.

I don't really worry about it, because I've had too many amps that the fans kick in at the worst moments and it sounds like B-52 taking off!

ek