Eden WT-300 vs. Eden CXC Combo (tone difference?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chris_in_la, May 12, 2003.

1. I haven't had the opportunity to check out the Eden CXC combos yet and I'm curious as to whether the amplifier component sounds much different than the regular Eden WT heads. I know that it doesn't have the preamp tube like the WT, but is there a noticeable difference? For example, is it actually less "warm" sounding?

Reason for asking: My amplifier needs are definitely on the small/portable side. I have an Eden WT-300 and Aguilar GS112. I'm considering selling the Eden WT-300 and getting an Eden CXC110 10" combo. Then I would have a very portable combo amp for smaller rooms, but could still add my Aguilar GS112 as an extension cab when desired. But I don't want to do it if I'm going to take a very noticeable hit to my tone quality. I don't mind going to the more simple EQ on the cxc, but I don't think I'd be interested if the CXC sounded a lot "colder" than the WT-300. I'm guessing it has pretty much the same Eden sound though, and it looks like it even has some cool extras like the warm switch, which is supposed to help to get some growl out of it. ANy thoughts?
  2. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I've tried the 110 a long time ago and I didn't like it but there has been a lot of changes within the last couple of months with the CXC line up. (I'm not sure if they are using new speakers now? (for the CXC line that is))

I played the 110 and IMHO something was missing?
    I also played a WT-400 and 410XLT. It was louder but to me something was still missing. I think it is the amount of warmth?

I may be going for a CXC 210. Eden has still been in the transistion of getting the new CXC's and it has been a bit of a wait. I'm curious myself as to what type of experience I'm going to get when I try out the new CXC210.

maybe just a little off topic but still related to your question: what does the Time Traveler head sound like? I'm still wondering whether it was the head section (in this case the Time Traveler) I didn't like or if it was just the lack of speaker movement.
  3. Yeah, I definitely couldn't tell you about the time-traveller head. I've never had a chance to try it. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to check out the cxc110 sometime soon, but there are no dealers near me who carry it.
  4. As the owner of a CXC 1015 I would not recommend this switch unless you could go to my combo which has a 10 and a 15. The single 10 combo just won't get the lows you get with your current WT300/GS112 rig. Good luck.