Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT-330 ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Anyone have any comments on this heads tone?

2. No one huh? I'm extra curious about the "Golden Ear Chip"
    hmm............

3. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Great little head. Light, Powerful and that Eden Tone!!

4. Fellow TBer MikeBass uses one and raves about it. I've played one at Low Down Sound, and it's very impressive. The new model adds another hundred watts or so. There is no tube in the preamp, but it does still retain that Eden tone... maybe with a little less warmth and fatness in the low end... but that's not necessarily a bad thing depending on the sound you are looking for.

There is some sort of circuitry in the amp that acts as a sort of automatic loudness control... I believe bringing up the bass and treble frequencies at lower volumes. I don't know much about that... I'm sure others will comment.

Anyway.... seems very high quality... smaller, lighter and less expensive than the 'tube' versions, and still retains the basic Eden tone IMO. Very nice.

5. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Got one... how much raving do you want? I'm loving it.

Great tone, small and light, excellent preamp, and clean power. The Golden Ear Chip is engaged by hitting the "Warm" button, supposed to emulate a tube pre. It's not bad at all, subtle but I generally have it on, even when I use a real tube preamp in front of it. It's not going to get overdriven/warm fuzzy tube sound by itself, but plenty of warmth and fattness in the lows, retains the Eden signature sound, etc.

The eq section only has a single midrange knob (switchable between 550Hz and 2.2kHz), so not as much mid-tone shaping as other WT models. On the plus side there's less to mess with, and running the eq pretty flat is generally the way to go anyway. I don't miss the parametrics, a click or two does a lot to your tone to add presence in a band mix (also seems to be a great place to boost for fretless). The "Enhance" knob is used to dial in more modern/slap tones. And it has bass and treble boost buttons, to use in low volume situations - they work excellent, this is a great head for a wide range of applications.

The DI, the mute button, speaker on/off, headphones/DI out, aux in, etc features all work as advertised and make gigging with this amp effortless, worryless.

If it's got enough power for your application it's an excellent head, very musical in how it responds to your hands and really allows the sound and color of your basses and fingers to come through.

BTW, I also have a Trace Elliott 350W head that I've seen described here and other places as "conservatively rated", "stupid loud", "ungodly loud", etc. A/B'd the WT-330 is easily as loud but seems even more powerful because the juice it puts out is cleaner over it's entire volume range (whereas the TE tone gets preogressiviely harsher as it's pushed to its higher limits).

And it runs nicely at 2 ohms, giving you 420W. I've got a 2-ohm Eden D210MBX, the two of these keep up fine with even a very loud drummer. Baby Thunder.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions, or check out the Eden forum: www.eden-electronics.com/forum

6. I have a CXC-110- pretty much a WT-330+1x10 combo. I SO love this thing- tone, power, size & features can't be beat. I planned on using it for when my church plays out, but I like the sound better than the house rig(SVT-3pro/PR-410hlf), & it's plenty loud, so I'll probably use it as much as possible. It also sounds unreal for DB, IMO. I'm running it totally flat, too- a very good sign, I think. I vote Eden! :hyper:

7. pjleo

pjleo

May 27, 2003
    del valley
    I had a Eden 330 time traveller amp.
    Did not have much luck with it. Seemed to need a lot of EQ adjustments between soft / loud volumes.
    I did like the compact size. I suppose if I had more patience I could have worked it out. But I am not into fiddleing with nobs/buttons, which I recall it had many.
    Just an opinion on my own experience.

8. have you noticed less of that extended, fat low end that Eden is known for compared to other Eden heads? Also, Edens site says that "Golden Ear Chip" can add not only warmth, but also some tube like 'grit'. Have you found that to be so, and how would you describe the 'grit'?

thanks much!

9. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I haven't owned another Eden amp (I played through a WT-550 on a couple occasions) but I can say without hesitation there is no lack of the extended lows, fat low end. The specs on the amp say the -2db point is 20Hz (iirc). So without a doubt the amp will produce the lows; whatever low end you don't get from your rig will be due to the freq response of the speaker cab, not this amp.

Now whether the chip adds "grit" is more subjective indeed. There is a set screw that can be adjusted for the chip - I only tweaked it (added) one time, I didn't find it to change things a whole lot, but I admittedly haven't fiddled with it, I guess I'm pretty satisfied. From my standpoint I would not say the the amp by itself has any "grit"; I will say that I can get a nice "growl" out my jazz bass (without my SABDDI or H&K TubeFactor), and sometimes my P bass can be growly, but my guess is that that tone is more a character of the basses than the amp.

On the contrary, this little gem of an amp has cured me of my knob-tweaking tendencies. Well, of course not completely ;) but once I get the tone going, which generally doesn't take long at all, I leave it be, one less thing to talk about.

I've found that the boost buttons make sounding good at high OR low volume a breeze. At low volume, I always hit the bass boost, sometimes the high boost. At higher volumes, the boost buttons need to be off. I made a mental note once in the "in between" area (a fairly sizable art gallery with high ceilings, hard surfaces, no drums/two guitars/vocals/perc) ended up keeping the boosts off but added a little more lows (and by little I mean maybe 2-3 clicks, does quite a lot). That did the trick, but realistically I don't find myself there very often, it's either low volume (practice so you can talk or providing background music) or some degree of loud.

It's not the end-all be-all of amps (what is?), but it's damn close for me. The DI sounds great with very low noise, great for feeding the FOH or for recording, adjustable output and switchable pre- or post-EQ. This amp plus my D210MBX (that's switchable between 2 and 8 ohms) can cover the smallest gig up to playing a medium club or small outdoor party. And I use its preamp with a QSC RMX2450 and adding a 212XLT, that's as much volume capability than I'll likely ever need - superb tone with oodles of power and overhead.

10. thanks man!

i have a WT330 on its way to me right now, and I'm expecting it tomorrow!

got it for $650 shipped from basscentral.com

i'm excited.

11. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    What cabs do you plan to run with it?

12. Avatar B212 Delta

your thoughts?

13. I just pulled this thing out of my CXC212 combo and am now running it with a GK MBE410 4ohm cab. What a sweet punchy sound I'm getting out of this thing!!

Has anyone found a case that this thing will fit in?

14. Papasteveross

Papasteveross

Feb 28, 2012
    Minnesota
    I have this amp have used it for over a year. Bought it used. I love it! The tone is very adjustable from the old school thump to the new modern bright sound. Id use it with a head rated at 250@80hms for the best sound and volume. With the enhance you can get that tubey sound of an ampeg. I also have a Kustom groove bass 1200, a 1970 Ampeg v4b, Ampeg rocket 200B.Phil Jones Base briefcase.Ive been playing in a rock,Funk band for the last 5 years, Ive played through a few different rigs.I wouldn't be afraid of a David Eden!!

15. Wow - interesting to look back on where I was at 7 years ago! lol... crazy old thread!

16. Do you still have it? Did you like it?

17. I thought it was 'okay'. Kinda boring tone and got rid of it.