Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT-400 as Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hollow Man, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Since I'm getting a little tired of being underpowered when I play with some of my hard rockin' friends, I've decided to upgrade to a preamp/power amp setup. I've not yet decided on a preamp (although I'd love to get my hands on a Read Purity, if anyone's looking to drop one), but I've got a shot at picking up a QSC PLX 3002 for a reasonable price. My question is, can I rig the Eden WT-400 as a preamp to feed the QSC? I know this type of thing isn't unusual, as I've read many posts from other people wanting to do this with different heads. However, I can't remember seeing anyone try this with an Eden. Anyone know if it can be done, and which connections need to be made?

As an aside, I've heard some people complain that their preamp output is lower than their QSC power amps like to receive, and this affects the output from their QSC's. Is the Read Purity one of the preamps that suffers from this?

Thanks for any help! :)

2. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    Yeah, look at the back, there should be a quarter inch jack labeled "Preamp out", just send that to the power amp, its not a bad thing because you can (IIRC) still use the power section from the eden, thus having an extra power amp for a personal monitor

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I used a WT400 with a Mackie 1400i for a while and really liked the Eden as a preamp. I've always felt that the preamp in Eden amps are their best feature. Although I don't personally care for QSC amps, I doubt you'd run into a problem because of levels with the rig you're suggesting. Good luck!

4. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Hmm, it could be that I'm a moron, but I'm not seeing the Preamp out jack. I've got effects send and return jacks, two amp out jacks (for speakers from the Eden's power amp, I assume, as one of those jacks is supplying my cab), a tuner out, and auxiliary inputs. I also have the XLR recording output. Am I missing something here?

Boogie, what don't you like about QSC's, if you don't mind my asking?

5. I'm pretty sure that the send is your preamp out. 95% sure...anyone out there 100%???? :help: :help:

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Been a while since I hooked up a 400 but I seem to recall there was a direct out with a level control. No?

Preference in amps is just that: personal preference. I've owned a couple of QSC amps and didn't like the way the rigs sounded when compared to other amps like Stewart and Crown.

7. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Boogie, there is a direct out with a level control; that's the XLR jack. That output is post-EQ/pre-master, so that seems like a strong candidate.

So is the XLR DI output our winner, or is it the effects send 1/4" jack, or.......?

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the effects send is no good. it's a very low level and is pre eq (post compressor and enhance). the level is so low it won't drive a poweramp well. you could use the XLR out and goose the level, but i'm not sure if that's hot enough either.

however, according to eden, you can use the headphone out as a preamp out. just use a standard instrument cable to do this plugged in all the way. be aware that the master volume controls this output. I was skeptical myself but used my wt-400 as a preamp like this many times.

9. On the WT-500,600, and 800 you can get a post-EQ preamp output from the stereo Effects Send. This is not affected by the Master, but you can always use the Gain to adjust volume. Unfortunately the WT-300 and 400 do not have a post-EQ effects loop.

The only way I know of to have a preamp send that uses the Master is to take the signal from the headphone output. I don't like to do this on my WT-500 because the headphone out is driven from the power amp, and is too noisy for my taste.

If you don't EQ, you could try the pre-EQ Effects Send and see if it works for you.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Now that I think about it, I did use the direct out with the XLR and had the level set at about 12 o'clock. Then I used the XLR input on the Mackie. Don't believe that's mic level on the Mackie, BTW, as it gives you the option of using 1/4" or XLR on the line input. I know one thing: it sounded great!

11. Hollow Man

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Roger that Boogie, thanks for the help. That's interesting that Eden advises using the headphone jack as a power amp driver... kind of an unintuitive approach, given that the headphone jack is post-power amp. I guess the overall level is low enough such that even with the power amp driving it, it's within a power amp's input tolerance. If anyone has any other thoughts/recommendations, feel free to let 'em fly. Thanks all!

12. KotBasses

KotBasses Chris Harris

Dec 15, 2004
    Manager, Kot Basses
    I'm currently A/B'ing my Eden Wt400 by itself using it's own internal power amp vs Using the Eden Headphone out driving my new QSC PLX-2402. I have to say the tone is noticeably different between the two. There seems to be more lows when using the eden by itself, and a thickness or richness to the tone. When using the Headphone out to the QSC it's more trebely. I think I prefer the sound or the eden by itself, using it's own power amp. I don't believe that there would be that much difference in town between using two quality power sections or power amps, with the same pre-amp, so I'm thinking more along the lines of the headphone out does not interface well with the QSC.

My conclusion:
    a) There is some loss using the headphone out when running a poweramp.

b) I really don't like the sound of the QSC all that much.

To really prove one way or the other I need an Eden Navigator, since it is the same pre-amp and has a pre-amp out I could compare the Navitator+QSC to the Eden Traveler, or the Navigator+QSC to the Traveler+QSC.

Any thoughts guys? Do I just not like the sound of a switching power amp. All the other outs on the traveler are not even close to line level so they aren't an option.

Chris