1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden WT-400 / Avatar 2-10 4OHMs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChrisPbass, Dec 5, 2006.

1. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Hi All,

Just bought a Avatar NEO 2-10 (500 watts 4 ohms) and a WT-400 which is rated at 400 watts, correct me if I'm wrong. This is my first bass rig. I doubt I will ever need to crank this amp all the way up but if I do will I fry the 2-10s? Is there a general rule for amp vs speaker wattage? In the faq maybe? ;-)

Recevied the avatar last night. Eden coming on Friday supposedly....can't wait.

The waiting is the hardest part! /end Tom Petty

2. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Cranking the amp all the way up will not be a good thing for your speakers. I suggest starting out low and gradually increasing the volume. You should know when it is time to stop.

3. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Anyone else?

4. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Also, The Eden WT400 will be enough power for your 500 watt cabinet.

5. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    I'm not worried about having enough power i'm concerned about BOOM BOOM BOOM <speakers catch fire>

6. mobax

mobax

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    You will be fine as long as you don't abuse your equipment. 400 watts is not too much power. You can actually use an amp rated at more watts than your speakers if you don't get crazy with the volume or eq. Under most circumstances, you will hear that you are playing too loud or using too much eq. As for your original question, it's not a good idea to ever crank your amp all the way up.

7. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    What will happen if you try to crank your amp all the way with the eq boosted a bit or not is you will clip the output stage and cause distortion(and not the cool sounding kind) and at that piont you may fry your horn or the protection device and if you keep doing it you could create enough heat for the voice coils in the speakers themselves to basicly melt and Hopefully open and then no more sound but you would have to run it wide open and it would sound very bad and you would know it was happening it is not like you turn on a 400 watt amp and the speaker blows immediately. You could run a 2000 watt amp into a 100 watt cab if you use your brains and don't push it and it would be fine. It all comes down to listen to your cab and it will tell you when it has had enough. Then back it off a touch.

8. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    Yes, set everything Flatmset the gain so that it starts to blink,no comp,no enhance,turn up the master to a safe level,tweek the eq just a click at a time for room balance ,if you need comp then set it to blink ,the enhace NEVER go past 8 or 9 o clock (if you do use it) the enhance scoops out the mids,the set the master so that you just clip THEN TURN BACK to stop it ,that is you safety net,KEEP AN EYE ON THE CLIPPING,if the eq clips cut back on the enhance or bass a click or two( one click goes along wat,
    if you watch for clipping abd or distortion cut back,you should be ok

GOOD LUCK

i have a wt330 ,wt550 ,a 210xlt and two 112xlys,sounds great

9. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    ALSO ,i NEVER NEVER EVER GO PAST 12oclock on my master,I never needed more than 10 or 11 so far

10. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Set the gain on your Eden so that when you hit a note real hard,with your volume controls on your bass wide open, (use the 'B' note on your 'E' string, because it usually has the most output,) till it blinks the clip light. Then back it off one click. Then crank the volume on that WT400 wide open and play. You may find that you have to back off the volume a little, but that cab should handle all that 400 can throw at it. Don't pussy foot around with it. It will take it all, no problem. I run my WT-405 like that all the time. At 4 ohms or at 2 ohms, with mine. Yours won't run at 2 ohms, so don't try it. Have fun!!!!

And also, if your new to an Eden, remember that a few clicks off of flat on the bass gain, can make a big difference, and can make that clip light come on alot quicker. Start with no more than a few clicks of bass boost, and maybe take a few off the mids, and maybe add a few to the plus side on your treble, at first, till you learn how to control Eden's sensitive EQ section. They are alot more sensitive to dial turning, that any other amp I have owned. But if you start at flat , and set the clip light's gain properly, you can run that thing wide open, with no worries. Good Luck!!!