Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT-400 Clip light

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JefWes, Jan 8, 2002.

1. JefWes

JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    I have an Eden WT-400 that keeps having the Clip light come when playing at moderate levels. I'm using a Stingray and an Eden 410XLT 4 ohm cab. I run the preamp in at 11:00 with the green indicator light flashing only on hard slaps, and the main output at 11:00 with the lo, mid and hi parametric eq just off the center detent.
    Basically all the eq controls are almost flat. Is this normal or do I have something set up wrong or possibly the amp has a problem?

2. which clip light is it? Is it the one on the far right that is labled "set level" or the one right after the Treble shelving labled "eq clip" or the one on the far right labled "output limit"?

If its the one on the far left, "set level" and it only flashes for a millisecond when you slap hard, then dont fuss over it, its just the input slightly clipping, and happens with me all the time due to the sudden peak of you increasing the output from the bass. You can avoid this by turning on the compressor. Just press the button over by the parametric high knob to enable it "it should be out". This will then activate the compressor and limit that peak so that its not heard.

If its the one on the far right (which i doubt) you're pushing the poweramp to hard at the speakers, and could cause your speakers damage. Turn down the volume of the power amp.

3. JefWes

JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    The cliplight that is coming on is the red one on the right. I thought I was pushing the amp too hard , but the master knob is set to 11:00-11:30 when trhe red light comes on.....isn't this a little premature. If the amp clips at 11:00-12:00 why is the knob made to go so much farther?

4. This is a direct quote from the WT400 manual found on Eden's site:

EQ Clip Indicator – Flashes to indicate clipping within the tone control circuit of the preamplifier. This should never be lit up.

Output Limit Indicators – Lights to indicate activity of the power amplifier limiting circuit, which protects the speaker system from severe distortion. This LED indicates that the amplifier has reached its maximum output level.

5. My WT800 into a 4ohm 4x10 does the same thing. Alot. I've had it happen also biamped into 2 8ohm cabinets.

What I can't understand is that even with the clip light on, you can still crank the volume further and it still gets louder (and hotter! :eek: )...but when I plugged it into a scope you could see the limiter holding things in check... :confused:

6. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    When you say holding things in check, do you mean that the amp was actually fine with the output limit light flashing?