Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT-400 Opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by John Davis, Jan 13, 2002.

1. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
  2. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Nice amp! You can get one for about $150.00 less at Bass Central (www.basscentral.com)though. I love mine although I may get a WT600 or 800 for more power. If you do get the WT400 make sure you run a 4ohm load to get the full output

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I'm going to check one of these out tomorrow! I'll give a full report also. I'm trading a older Ampeg SVT3 Pro for it or 599 cash in excellent condition.
    Does the WT400 head have more headroom than the SVT3? How does it compare?

4. You can't really go wrong. Lightweight, powerful, great EQ section. Pity about the gold, though...

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've had my WT-300 for about 6 years. Never had any problems, and it's a tone monster. No jones for anything else ... well, except maybe a WT-800.

6. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Well, I'm off to play one(again) in a few days. Time to save up my money... :)

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Eden definitely has as much if not more headroom but the made difference is tone. The Eden has got gobs o' it, the SVT3, well...The Ampeg doesn't seem quite as loud, either. I would crawl through a field of broken SVT3's to get my hands on one WT400.

Seriously, I've used a WT400 for several years now as my "small" amp. It's a wonderful, rich, tone-heavy, lightweight amp that sounds great with everything set to flat. What more is there to want in basslife?

8. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I also have a WT-400 as my "small" amp and like it a lot. I've owned a WT-800 and a pair of WT-300's and this WT-400 is the best sounding of the bunch.

I've compared the WT-300/WT-400 to the larger Eden amps and invariably like the tone of the WT-300 or WT-400 better.

Chuck

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Maybe that's why Line6 put the WT-300 in the POD.

10. JefWes

JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    I've had a WT-400 for 2 years and it sounds great. I run all the tone controls flat on the amp and play my Fender Deluxe Jazz through the amp and the tone is sweet. The only concern I have is the red eq clip light comes on when I play hard (even thought the preamp light is barely flickering green on hard slaps) and the master volume is only on 11:30. I can still turn the master volume up more but the red light will just come on more, is there something wrong with my amp? The compression circuit IS engaged and still the red light will come on. I would think the volume knob would at least go up to 2 o'clock before the red light should come on. According to the manual, if the red light comes on the power amp the amp has run out of headroom....is this correct?

11. Yes.

Me too.

We're screwed, we need more wattage or more speakers so the amp doesn't have to work quite as hard.

:D

12. JefWes

JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    Man this sucks! I thought having a 400 watt head an an Eden 4 ohm 410xlt cabinet would be able to hang with a Marshall 50 watt head and a 4x12 cabinet, I guess not! What other options are available to pump out 600 watts in mono?

13. jefwes- You could get an 8 ohm eden metro (210 combo) and add two more 8 ohm cabs, or one 4 ohm cab (you 410 xlt) and have 600 watts. In the future I plan to get a metro- and add a 210xlt and a 115xlt. That will be a very versatile rig.

14. JefWes

JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    How much power does an eden metro put out at 4ohms in mono?

15. Shumph

Shumph

Aug 25, 2001
    On the move
    DC-500 (metro) is a mono amp
    600 Watts at 2 Ohms
    400 Watts at 4 Ohms
    200 Watts at 8 Ohms

S

16. JefWes

JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    Thanks Shumph. I really only want to use only one cabinet and I guess 500-600 watts of power. Anybody have any suggestions on an amplifier?

17. Eden WT600 (600w bridged into 8ohms)
    Eden WT800 (800w bridged into 8ohms)
    Ampeg SVT4pro (1200w bridged into 4ohms)
    Mesa M-Pulse (they have a 350w and a 600w head)
    Mesa M2000 (600w)
    Aguilar DB750 (750w/4ohms)

I think one of the Warwick Quads puts out 600w too.

or you could go modular, preamp and separate poweramp (crown, qsc, peavey, mackie, etc).

18. JefWes

JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    Is a WT-800 bridged mono too much for one 410xlt in 8 ohms? Unfortrunately my 410xlt is 4 ohms. I thought that's all I would need with the 400 watt traveler head...are Eden amplifiers wattage overrated?

19. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have had no problems with clipping in my WT-400. The compressor works some but no problems.

The power amps on the WT-800 will work into a minimum load of 4 ohms so when you are running them bridged the minimum load woud be 8 ohms. You cannot run an Eden stereo head bridged into a 4 ohm load.

If you want the Eden tone and more power, you might consider the excellent Eden Navigator preamp coupled with a nice power amp. More money but more versatile and powerful depending on the amp you use.

Wish you lived close to me so you could try my WT-400 with your cabinet. I'm in Texas, where are you?

Chuck

20. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    I used a WT-400 for about 3 years with my 410XLT which is a 4 ohm box. It was a good combo, and pretty loud too. The past 4 years I've switched to the Ampeg SVT-4 Pro, and I wouldn't go back. I prefer the Ampeg tone over the Eden, and the 1600 watts makes the Eden 410XLT extremely tight and LOUD.