Eden WT-400 or EA iAMP350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Classic5, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Given this is my first post, I'd like to say that reading through previous comments has been very informative & helpful. You muso's in the US have some really great gear to choose from. I'm from Melbourne, Australia so we're lucky to catch a glimpse of the good stuff every now and then but it's basically double the price. My specific dilema is finding a replacement for my GK400RB which has been faithful for over 12 years now. I have severe "gear lust" fo a new amp with a bit more power (around 400W @ 4 Ohms). The selection has been narrowed down to Edens WT-400 (or Time Traveler) or EA's iAMP350. I play mainly contemporary rock /dance/R&B covers but am starting to get interested in jazz aswell. My bass is a Lakland type active five string and I use a Bag End S15D and a Trace Elliot 2 x 10. Now for the crunch - I've tried the Eden WT-400 at a local expo & really liked it BUT no one here sells EA gear. I do however have a friend in San Francisco who will be back here in June and is willing to bring an iAMP back for me. What do you guys who are in the know think (not having ever heard the iAMP myself - I do however like the features on it). Any comments would be greatly appreciated. (my budget is approx USD 1,000).
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden WT-400 rules. RULES!

But you guys knew I'd say that, didn't you.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The Eden (I own a WT400 and like it a lot) is very colored; warm, rich and punchy in the mids. It sounds nothing like the EA, in fact. The EA, OTOH, is extremely clean and uncolored. It will give you much more of the sound of your bass without adding to it. Given your cabs, you may find the Eden too warm and somewhat muffled. This is all strictly based on what you want to hear, of course. The Eden will give you more of an "old school" sound while the EA is definitely more "hi-fi." I like both amps. If I had to have only one, I'd take the EA but I have a special fondness for the WT400 and have used mine on many, many gigs. I love the way an Eden sounds with a good Fender with passive p/u's. I own the EA iamp600 and it's virtually all I use these days with my Modulus Quantum 6 driving an Epifani T212 cab.

The best thing would be to try them both with your cabs and bass but, if that's not possible, just try to imagine exactly what tone you're going after and choose accordingly. Good luck.
  4. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Thanks Munjibunga and Boogiebass.

Boogiebass - it sounds like they're both good amps. When I tried the WT-400 at the expo it was through an Eden 4x10 XLT so I think the next step is to try it at the local store when they arrive in a couple of weeks with my current speaker setup (the Bag End 15 and the Trace 2x10). If that sounds too muddy then I'll probably cross my fingures and order the iAMP.

Thanks again.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey classic,

i own both the EA and the Eden. boogie hit the nail on the head with his descriptions, so i might be repeated him, but i'll just add my insights as well to give ya a hand.

I own both and use 'em in my current small club and coffee house gigs, and also for sessions around the city. The EA is my main while the Eden is the backup, tho i am trying to sell it. Cab (bin?) wise, i'm using a Bergantino HT112, and a "soon-to-be" Epifani T210.

like boog said, the iAMP350 is uncolored but IMHO, it still has its own tonal mojo despite being solid state. a hifi sound that full, crystal clear with an edge that lends well to my jazz acoustic combo where i play both electric and upright as well. Wattage wise its enough since, my drummer's got a great sense of dynamics and the other guitarist uses a small clarus setup for his archtop.

IMHO, the iAMP's EQ is the best part. very intuitive to use, and musical with whatever bass. unlike the Eden, it also has a "flat" switch that's great for my upright. The EQ on the Eden is good too, but it adds too much too quickly. a small shift in the knobs adds too much this or that. EQ is very important to me, so the EA wins hands down.

If you want that vintage tube warmth is a small butt package that's less than 13 lbs. you cant beat the WT400. has a nice tubey grunt that's growly and fun. But playing both thru my bergie 1x12, the EA was my winner. just as punchie, full, but most of all, articulate. The Eden sounded good to me, but now, it suddenly felt blurry and stodgy with the scale runs. The WT400's response just didnt have enough of a hifi edge for me. I tried dialing it more highs and treble on the Eden, but no good. Also, the EA kicks major booty for slap/funk. my fav. notes seem to jump unlike the Eden.

had i not played the EA, i woulda stuck with the Eden, but alas... i was thinking of keeping both, but the Eden's heading for Ebay...

For now, the iAMP's 350 watts is enough, but later, our bands gonna start doing some funk/r&b with an added vocalist. so, the other guitarist is gonna start hauling out his 33 watt Dr. Z amp, and i'm thinking of getting an Epifani T210 or Aguilar GS210. decisions, decisions, decisions....

but, Good luck with yours.

if you're gonna have access to both soon, dont take our words for it, and try 'em and see which fits your needs.

btw, here's another gratuitous shot of my mini rig... :D

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't understand this - surely there is just as much Eden gear in San Fransisco as EA? And the Eden is very light,compact - so surely this can't be a problem? So why can't your friend just as easily bring an Eden from S.F.? :confused:
  7. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I knew he would say that, But I must agree;)
  8. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I think Classic5 means that he CAN get Eden in Australia, but not EA... so if he decides to go for EA, he will have his friend bring it from SF. If he decides to go Eden, he can find one locally.
  9. I LOVE my Eden WT400. It does everything I need for it to. I like the warmth and don't find it to be muddy at all. I actually find SWR,EA,etc to be thin and bright. If you like bands like Jamiroquai,Incubus,etc. They all use Eden. Big,Fat,Warm bass is what Eden is all about,and alot of pro bassists use them and sound awesome. I love my tone and will be using this head for a LONG time. If you like the sound of the Eden,just remember that the EA is far removed from that,and will sound totally different from what you heard from the Eden. It comes down to what you want and what the sound in your head is,but I would definitely say,go Eden. :cool:
  10. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    ...MESA WalkAbout!:D

Just thinkin' out loud!
  11. Do you know how many watts the iAmp350 puts out to your single Bergantino HT112? Is that an 8-ohm or 4-ohm cabinet?

12. I also recommend the iAMP. I use an iAMP 600 and love it. I've used my friends Eden in the past and find it to blurry. You can always muddy up a clear sound if you need to but you can't clear up a muddy sound.
  13. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Thanks guys - you've give some really good comments for me to consider. Love the picture of the rig!!!

Bruce - yes I can get both amps delivered here. However, my problem is that I can try the Eden at the local store but not the iAMP. I'm not aware of anyone in Australia who distributed them so I would't be able to try before I buy. That was why I needed some comments form iAMP350 users.

14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    its an 8 ohm, cause i'm hoping to get another 8 ohm cab in the future to rig a 4 ohm impedence for the EA.

good luck with your search, classic. i'm sure you'll find your tone in any of these options.
  15. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very sweet lil' rig, joker. I want one just like it!