1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden WT-400 or Kustom GB 1200?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fookgub, Apr 25, 2006.

1. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Apologies in advance. I know the "tell me what I should buy" subject is boring, and I'm sure this post will be long and rambling. That said, I'd really appreciate some opinions here. I've already searched the archives, but first-hand accounts on the tone of these amps are hard to come by. If nothing else, it helps my decision making process to get this stuff written down.

Ok, right now I'm running a Dingwall ABI 5-string into a G-K 700RB with Avatar 2x10" + 1x15" cabs. I've been psyching myself up to sell the G-K for a while now, and I'm getting pretty close. The reason is that the Dingwall is a very bright bass by nature, and I'm having trouble taming it with this rig. I feel like that G-K is a naturally "snappy" amp, and I'd like to find something a little warmer with more low-mid "punch."

My price range is about $600 or less (new or used), and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Kustom or a used Eden WT-400. I'm leaning towards the Eden, given its reputation as a warm but modern sounding amp. But the lure of huge watts is hard to resist. My 700RB gets plenty loud for me, and both the Eden and the Kustom are more powerful, so I know either one will be fine for my current cabs. At some point, though, I'd like to upgrade to a Schroeder 21012, and, given what I know about the inherent trade-offs in speaker design, I'm worried that I may want more power than the Eden has. This cabinet upgrade will be a while from now, so I should probably just cross that bridge when I get to it. For the short term, I think I'm going to swap the 15" for a 2x12".

Besides the power issue, the Eden seems to be more in line with my needs. I have yet to try one in person, but the tone controls seem really simple and flexible. The Eden's small size and portability a definite pluses, too. On the other hand, the Kustom seems to be pretty configurable with it's shift-able tone controls and 9-band eq.

So... ideas?

2. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    Hands down... Eden

Granted... My opinion is biased.

If you're wanting more power down the line, buy a poweramp and use the 400 as a pre.

3. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    I own the kustom and run through a 212 avatar cab. It has nice tight lows, great punch and has a nice warm tone to it. It's a powerhouse too, it has handled everything that I've thrown at it and never have gotten the volume above 11 o'clock. I've never tried anything from eden but hear good things about them, the kustom amp is relatively new so, it's up to you.

As always though everyone has different likes, so try before you buy.

4. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks, guys. I plan to check both amps out this weekend. The trick is going to be trying to play them back to back through the same cabs with my bass. I'm pretty sure one of the local shops has a Kustom, but I don't know about the Eden. GC had one last weekend but it was malfunctioning... figures :rolleyes:

jpark, do you use the Avatar 2x12" alone? How do you like it? If I do end up getting a 2x12", it'll probably be an Avatar.

5. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Have you tried a newer (series II) Gallien-Krueger amp? They are warmer than the old series I amps, and may be what you're looking for. For $600, you can get a new 1001RB-II. Don't be afraid to EQ the hell out of one if you try it -- all the talk around here is to slightly boost and cut, but I found I could get some very nice sounds out of my GK with even a lot of cut and boost.

Eden against the Kustom, I'll take the Eden hands down.

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    +1...I also own a Kustom and run it thru a 2x12 and 2x10 most of the time in church with no PA support. I play primarily gospel, jazz, funk, and r & b and this thing is a BEAST!!!

I set the gain to about 12:00 and the master at 1:00 and the head just comes alive with authoritative punch and thunder!!

I tried a lots of heads before deciding on this one....Eden's are great (I don't care for the front panel design, though), but no question the most "bang for the buck" resides with the GrooveBass 1200....

7. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Haven't tried the new G-K's. You may be on to something, but I don't have much desire to stick with the G-K lineup. Part of the reason I bought it was for the bi-amping, speakons, and all those other nifty features that I've realized I don't like and never use. I'd rather pick an amp that naturally sounds like I want it to instead of using the eq to 'force' a different kind of tone.

Don't get me wrong, this was a great amp with many of my other basses. But bright bass + bright amp = icepick. Something's got to go, and it sure ain't gonna be the Dingwall. ;)

8. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    I also play a Kustom Groove Bass 1200 through an Avatar 212
    It sounds really warm and thick. I would like to get a 210 to go along with it for the whole shibang.

9. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    If I were you, I would most certainly keep the Dingwall as well.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The Gk is a clear and punchy amp. It really isn't bright by definition but it passes what comes it's way though faithfully. Maybe not as faithful as a Demeter pre, but then not much does... If the Dingwall is bright, then that's going to shine through as you've experienced.

You've got a real solid reliable, flexible head and a great bass. Maybe you should think about moving up in the cabinet arena ? Your $600 budget get's you into a pretty nice set of cabinets. One's with a nice smooth top end ... I think you would find a much more dramatic improvement in your tone starting there....

11. thestevo

thestevo

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    Another +1 on the Kustom Groovebass and Avatar 212. I love this rig. I have played a WT-800, though, and really liked that as well too though. Either way I think either of these amps would be an great choice.

12. walkerci

walkerci

Mar 7, 2006
    Orlando, FLA
    +1 on the Eden.

I have a WT-800B. Way too much power, probably 3X my real needs.

Edens sound great with Avatar B212 Neo and B410 Neo.
    This is an insanely powerful, yet lightweight, portable rig.

There is power to spare to drive my Peavey 215 BW and 1X15 homegrown.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Avatar b212 seems quite popular in this thread. I have one as well.

14. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I've only played one newer Kustom 1200 amp and it was in a music store and not with one of my basses. It had a decent sound but I do remember the highs having a good bit of hiss and having to work with the EQ some to get a warm sound.

That being said, I currently own an Eden WT-550 and GK1001RB II and really love both amps. The Eden is my favorite. Thus far it sounds great with every cabinet that I've tried it with. The Eden is warmer sounding than the GK but the new GK's are capable of getting a nice warm tone. What clearly gives the Eden the advantage over the GK is the tube pre. It provides such nice glassy highs. IMO very similar to the Demeter pre's.
    The new GK series amps are very impressive though and the 1001 has a great deal of headroom. I'd recommend a used Eden WT-550 over the Eden WT-400 based on wattage headroom. I think that there's currently one for sale in the TB classified. They can be had used for $700-750. If the extra cash is just too much then I'd go for the new GK 1001RB II. I think that you'd be pleasantly surprised.

15. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV

Yes I do use it alone. Eventually I'll add some 10's to the setup for some more punch (not that it needs more :D ). My only complaint about the avatar is the cheap carpet covering they use. Other than that the 212 sounds great by itself and can definitely get loud if you have the amp to push it.

16. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Wow, thanks for all the responses. I didn't think I would get this many.

It looks like a split crowd between the kustom and the eden. I'll definitely try both this weekend, along with whatever else I can get my hands on. Hopefully GC won't give me any crap about bringing my own bass.... they did last time. :rolleyes:

I hear you guys on the new G-K, stuff. The 1001RB-II still has a lot of stuff I'm not going to use (biamping, for one), but I'll give it a try anyway. I know my cabs could use some upgrading, too, but I'm kind of sick of the G-K anyway, so I'd like to do the amp first.

17. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I have owned both the Kustom & Edens, and have had the Avatar 212 (and many other of Dave's cabinets) but I have to vote EDEN all the way. I now have a 550 with a 300 as a back-up. The Kustom has a more "sterile" sound where the Eden has the tube warmth. I also agree if you're worried about more power, get a power amp and use the 400 as a pre-amp, or if you can swing a used 550, you wont need anything else. I play the 550 through an Eden 212XLT and 210XLT and outdoor concerts have never been a problem running out of room!!

18. Robear22

Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Zion, Ill
    I also play a Kustom GB1200 and Avatar 212.

007c060a.

I have to say that pound for pound the Groovebass certainly holds its own. I never have to turn up past 12:00 and that is just with the 4 ohm 212. I can also hook up my Avatar Delta 210 and SB112 (both 8 ohms). All that headroom does make a difference and my notes are fuller without pushing the amp to clipping.

A friend of mine did play his Eden head through my 212 cab. I don't know which head it was but I did notice a cleaner tone. It seemed to me that my Groovebass was the warmer of the two IMHO.

19. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA

HA!!! Your rig sits in exactly the same position in church as mine....right next to the organ's leslie.

I tell ya: we both own similarly-shaped red 5 string basses, Kustom GrooveBass's, a 2x12 and 2x10 rigs, play the same music styles, are GSPLBASSist's ;) and......BALD!! :rollno:

Sorry for hijacking, fellas...but I believe I've been cloned....

20. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hey all, just dropped in to say hi to my GB2100 peeps! Great head. Killer tone for the $$$ as well as power! Quad approved! :D