Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT 400 or Mesa Walkabout?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacochops, Mar 9, 2005.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    If you could, which? I have a Walkabout now that sounds GREAT flat, but the EQ is SO strong, that even the slightest of addition of the parametric makes it sound very processed. The most powerful EQ I've encountered.
    I do like the Eden natural low-mid bump, so.....
    which would YOU own?

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Faced with the same question and a store credit, I got an Eden WT300. Which are exactly the same wattage size etc. Eden eqs are powerful also. The greatest thing I like about the eden is that I seldom have to touch the eq. It also records well. The Mesa seems louder running at 8ohms. To me it's really a toss up. I could've gone either way and think I would've been happy

3. I owned both and each of them are great in their own capacity, but IMO two totally different animals.
    I prefer the Focus which gives me the tone I want, simpler and more efficient eq section and enough power for up to mid size gigs.

4. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    i owned the wt-400 and used the walkabout.of the two i prefrerd the eden.

but then i let jorg talk me into a focus as well.........

5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I couldn't agree with you more about the power of the Walkabout's EQ. I'm basing this on my M-Pulse, which to my knowledge utilizes the same preamp. Very subtle adjustments lead to very drastic changes in tone.

I've never actually played an Eden setup that I liked, so I'm going to have to cast a vote for the Walkabout.

6. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    If I were you, I would buy the eden one!

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Just to add some confusion, I'd call it a close race, but my personal preference would be the Walkabout.

8. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I'm interested in this thread, having never played any Mesa products. How are they different, tonally?

9. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Tom, after one of your shoot-outs, I was very impressed with your impression (sic) of the Walkabout.

Are the tone controls as touchy and impactive of tone (in your opinion) as indicated in this thread by some others?

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I have an Eden Navigator, as well as the Walkabout. I would say that the parametrics on each unit are equally "touchy and impactive." The Bass and Treble knobs on the Walkabout (being active), are fairly powerful, but I don't use them much, so I really can't say how touchy they are. I do think that the Bass and Treble controls on my Eden Navigator are probably just as powerful, if not moreso. A little goes a long way on either. The main difference, I see, is the passive Midrange on the Walkabout (which is a fairly complex single-knob control). I still haven't completely grasped how to best use the Midrange, but I just tweak till it sounds best (usually, around 10:00 on the dial). The Eden, of course, has the Enhance control, which is an entirely different, but also complex and powerful control.

So, I wouldn't call one more or less touchy or impactive than the other. Both can be very powerful, and take some getting used to.

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'll have to check one out sometime (also the ThunderFunk).
    The closest I've gotten to the Walkabout was an M-Pulse 600, very briefly in a music store and I didn't check the tone settings, but I thought that compared to a DB750 (in the same store) it was a bit of a yawner. They probably didn't have the tone controls set to show it off best or there may have just been a loudness difference.

Thanks for the feedback.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I think I'd be more preoccupied with the DB 750 in that same situation as well! ;)

13. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I don't know anything about the Mesa amps at all, but I just got a New WT400 that my local shop is blowing out and I am really happy. I used it with two different bands this weekend and was very pleased with the versatility of the WT400 and how great is sounded flat.

14. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I just bought a WT-400 and it's phenomenal. I always wanted an Eden amp ever since I tried out a 210 Combo back in 98. I finally have one and I'll most likely never switch brands again. I sold my Genz-Benz GBE600 and bought this and haven't been even slightly regretful about it. The GBE600 was an awesome amp, but the Eden is just amazing. As far as being a "clean" amp, I wouldn't say Eden is. It colors a bass signal a little, unlike the GBE600, which was very transparent IMO. But I think the coloring of the WT-400 is pure magic.

I've never tried the Walkabout because Mesa stuff is too expensive new and somewhat hard to find used. There's also not any Mesa dealers in my area. I got my Eden for $500 on the 'Bay.

Jake

15. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    At the risk of being one of the few nay-sayers, I never met an Aguilar DB750 that I liked. Too wooley sounding. A one Trick pony. Great if you like the trick. I always prefered the DB359 or the DB680 for the Aguilar tone.

I played through a Mesa M Pulse 600 at a store recently and it kicked major a**. I was quite impressed. Still want to try the Walkabout.