Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT 400 or Mesa Walkabout???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fbregy, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    Again only one in the area. Mesa walkabout. sounded good but I hear great things about the eden stuff. I was about to purchase the boogie and a voice kept saying wait and check out the eden. It is a six hour drive. Will it be worth the trip.

2. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    Anybody

3. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Yes, EDEN!

4. The two amps come in similar sized boxes, output similar wattages and are both quality units.

The Eden is more money, is more fully featured and has that clean Eden tone.

The Mesa is less expensive (but not much), is a more basic amp (no compressors, filters, etc.) and has a wide variety of tones... in particular you can get a REALLY nice tube grind that you cannot get from the Eden.

Make the trip, play the two side by side (even if you need to bring the Mesa to the other shop) and let your ears decide.

Good Luck!

5. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    is it 6 hours of driving each way?

might be worth it to buy the eden through the mail and the mesa locally and take back the unit you like the least.

for me, the cost of shipping the eden is far outweighed by the gas/car expenses and using 6 (or is it 12?) hour of driving on my weekend!

:)

As far as tone/quality -- I think they are both really great. The above is an excellent description. You just won't know until you have them side-by-side. Ideally in a rehearsal/gig scenario.

6. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I have the WT-400 and love it. I can't imagine a better sound for *me*. I like warmth, but with punch and sparkle. I run it into a Aguilar GS112.

For the cost of the 6 hour drive, you'd be saving money by mail order even if you end up sending it back.

Give Bass Central a call. (NFI)

7. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    Hey thanks
    Yes 6 hours each way. I was also looking at the aguliar 1x12. I called bass central and the WT400 is on sale for 799 so it is the same price as the mesa. Hey Rod D, how do you like the 1x12 cabs. I tried them a month ago with different head when I was at bass central. ( went to FL for work) Unfortantly I knew nothing about eden at the time. Cabs sounded good though.

8. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I personally can't think of anything I'd perfer for *my* personal sound want, except adding another GS112. Which BTW, I will be doing soon, very soon.

I end up with everything flat on the WT-400 except the enhance knob which is only turned to the very first line. The tweeter on the GS112 I have at only 8:30.

So with very little effort, it achieves *my* sound.

9. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    I think bassnw has those speakers for 369 now. If we are talking about the same ones they used to be 399 ea.

10. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Probably a good idea to contact BassNW or BassCentral (*BOTH* great shops) and buy the whole shoot'n match at once.

Explain to them your are buying to amps and you will be sending the one back you like the least at your expense. Also, pick up the GS112 at the same time.

Believe me, they will understand the situation and be glad to accomodate you!

Although, if you can pick up the Mesa locally, I'm always in favor of supporting the local shop too.

Hmmmm.

One caveat of the GS112 - if you need to achieve a loud rock volume, you'll need two.

11. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    Well with lots of calling around, I found a place 2 hours away that carries eden and they have the WT 400. Still may go ahead and order it. 4 hours of my day is alot.

12. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Eden!

13. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    What price are you getting it for? Call Bass Central and talk to Beaver he'll match or beat any price you get. Ask Gard. Tell him Tim from PA sent you.

14. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    I think bass central and washington discount music has the WT400 for 799.

15. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    I was at guitar center in dallas last week and unfourtantly was unable to play through the eden due to someone else using the amp next to it and not being able to get to it along with my time restriants. The sales guy told me they were undependable and recommended mesa. Any truth to this. He said they broke easily and were a pain to get fixed often taking months just to have them return with the same problem.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I take it the GC guy wanted to sell you something else. He's full of sebum and bile. Browse through the last couple issues of Bass Player, and see what amp pops up on the pro's gear list more than any other. (hint: rhymes with WT-800). And don't give me the ol' "Well they get it for free, so that's why they use it." They can get pretty much anything for free, so why not get the best? I know there's no such thing as a dumb question, but if there was one, your original question would be on the short list. Get the Eden. Mesa has NEVER been known for making great bass amps. Eden has been known for it for a long time.

17. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    I am ordering it tomorrow from bass central. I just have this bad habit of over analizing things. I hate odering when I cannot play something but the eden amps have gotton such a positive response from folks here why the hell not.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Aaahhhhhhhhh. How refreshing. You won't regret it, dude.

19. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Good stuff. I'm (hopefully) going to purchase a new amp head next week.

Originally I wanted an ashdown abm 300 - I've played one for the last 3 months or so in my local rehersal rooms and love the sound I can get out of it... but I've been reading lots of good things about eden amps and will have to give some a damned good testing before I make my mind up.

A SIX HOUR DRIVE!!!! That's almost a full shift!
    I'll never moan about my 1.5 hour train journey to rehersals in London again!

20. Fbregy

Fbregy

Apr 10, 2002
    Little Rock, AR
    How is life in london? I spent a couple of weeks in a town about an hour train ride into London. Loved it. Actually wanted to move there but I don't think I could afford it. Plus from what I was told, the UK dosn't pay well for medical people. I also considered ashdown. Kept hearing good things about them too but the feedback on the eden stuff is just to positive. I also have a friend who plays professionally who I contacted and he highly recommends eden and uses the stuff himself.