Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT-400 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by winston, Sep 17, 2002.

1. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Yes, I know there have been a million threads on this amp but I have a few questions I haven't seen answered.

I just bought a used WT-400 for $500 that's in great condition (except for a loose DI level pot on back that will probably need to be replaced). I've had it running for a total of 6 or 7 hours (including a medium-volume rehearsal) and it's performed flawlessly-sounds great, good patching capability, fan stays off at solo practice level (a must for me).

What I want to know is:
    1) When did Eden make the "Low Noise" modification? I believe this involved turning the fan around to blow out instead of in (less noise) and rotating the toroid (same reason). Was anything else involved, and can this be done easily by a local tech or should I ship it to Eden if necessary? Mine's from Feb. 1998.

2)Is the extended warranty plan available on the Eden site worth it? What's their turn-around time for service?

3)Does changing the tube have much effect on tone? If so, what type do people recommend?

4)Anyone got a schematic they'd like to share?

5)Does it need spaces above/below when racked for heat dispersion?

6)Anyone got a bag and/or set of rack ears they'd like to sell?

Overall I'm very impressed with the little unit. I was thinking of getting the WT-550 when it comes out but this does almost as much for half the price (used). Sounds heavenly with my new FBass BN5 and SWR SOB 1x15. I wish it had pre/post DI switch, Speakons, and a post-EQ 1/4" preamp out--but I'm not complaining. Also the built-in Eden fatness is taking a little getting used to but usually sounds very good. I don't think I'd buy a WT-400 new but I'd highly recommend a good-condition used one.

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Winston,

I have owned a WT-400 and it is a nice head. I had no noise problems with mine.

The preamp tube has some effect on tone but not as much as it does in some other preamp designs.

Chuck

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I agree with Chuck. As to your questions:

1. Around '99/'00, I believe.

2. No. No idea.

3. See Chuck's reply.

4, 5 & 6. No

It's a good amp, especially for its weight assuming that the "Eden Sound" is what you want. Don't expect much clarity out of it and it is colored but in a pretty good way. The nice thing about the WT400 is that you can get a serviceable sound out of it without any EQ at all running it flat. I always found it sounded its best with a Fender or other passive bass. Never liked it with any of my active, extended range instruments, tho.

It's a gig-worthy amp that sounds particularly good driving Eden cabs like the D115XL and D210XLT. I've also had it sound good driving a 4 ohm D215XLT. They're pretty rugged, too. Mine fell from the top of an equipment cart in an SKB rack to the concrete floor prior to a 4 hour + gig. No problems.

Although, I've since moved on to other gear, I still keep the WT400 in the garage with the aforementioned Eden cabs, at least for the time being.

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have been using my used WT400 for about a year and a half and it's pretty quiet and reliable.
    Great little head with plenty of power that comes with me to every gig.