Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT-400 tube question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer7770, Mar 31, 2005.

1. I think the tube in my Eden head might need replaced. Sometimes it sounds like the bass is effected when I'm not using my effects pedals. Plus, the tone just doesn't sound quite as clean as it used to. Does this sound like a tube problem?

If so, a rep at Tube Depot recommended the Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 for a good value (good tone without spending an arm and a leg).

[​IMG]

Would anybody recommend a different tube? Should I stick with an Eden tube? Here's a link to more 12AX7 tubes at Tube Depot.

http://www.tubedepot.com/12ax7.html

I appreciate the help!:)

2. After reading the FAQ thread about favorite preamp tubes, it seems the EH is a safe option, but the JJ/Tesla tube may be even better. Thoughts? Is there anybody here who has compared tubes in their Eden heads?

[​IMG]

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    some of us who have compared tubes in the eden heads found the stock eden (ruby/groove tube or whatever it is) to sound the best. IIRC it's a high gain chinese tube and is on the bright side. to me the eh sounded darker, and considering the eden's already warm nature, it seemed like overkill. not that it sounded bad, just the original (and thankfullycheap) tube seemed to be the best match.

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I haven't compared various tubes in my WT-400, but in college, I built a guit*r amp and used two EH 12AX7's exactly like the first picture you showed, and they had a great sound.

I don't know what they'd do to the tone of your Eden, but if you make the swap, post a review! I'd love to start playing around with different tube combinations.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I've heard that some people like a good (i.e., probably NOS) 5751 in there. Never tried it myself when I had a WT400, though.

6. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    I replaced the stock ruby tube in my WT550 with a JJ/Tesla EC883.
    Slightly more growl, but I think that the tube isn't so important in the Eden circuit.