Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT 400 vs. EA IAMP 350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lalito39, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Gentlemen and Ladies,

I would appreciate your cumulative expertice as I attempt to discern the respective attributes of these two fine products.

I appologize if this thread has made its way through the forum before, however, my search did not pull these exact units and I'm fairly sure that from these pieces I will ultimately make my decision.

Thank you for your gracious contribution to my enlightenment or further confusion.

I will be using these heads, for the time being, with various combinations of Eden D 210-T, Genz Benz 210LS, and SWR Goliath 410 cabs; a Peavey Cirrus 6, Treker Louis Johnson 5, and Fender Jazz (MIM) FL 4.

Stylistcally, I play a mescla (mix) of Slap and Fingerstyle Funk, Salsa and Assorted Latin Rhythms, burnin' "tear down the ruff" Gospel and Lyric Ballads. All the above is primarily in the context of a Christian "Worship" format, however, I do also do the occasional Jazz and Fusion gig.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You're very loquacious.

I think either of these heads would do a fine job with a 2x10 cab and it's hard for me to recommend one over the other. The iAmp 350 will give you the clear, accurate sound of your bass. However, when I tried out that head with my Eden 410 cab I didn't feel like that was really enough power for the cab, thus I didn't feel like I was getting the best tone possible out of the head. I ended up returning the head because I didn't really want to change cabs and I couldn't afford the iAmp 600. The WT400 offers more power. I personally enjoy the Eden sound and when I've played the WT400 through a 4x10 in the past I thought the power was adequate and the tone was nice. That's my take. I think if you were mainly going to stick with the 2x10 the iAmp is a great choice but I wouldn't choose it if I was going to be using it with that Goliath 4x10 a lot.

brad cook

3. Thanks Brad,

At present I am primarily utilizing the two 210 cabs as my Goliath 410 is in Texas (perhaps it has a penchant for salsa verde). I appreciate your insight. I am leaning towards the Eden head, I too like the sound. I've never heard the EA and that is a source of trepidation, but the "buzz" is impressive. Thanks again.

4. A side from these formidable players are there other options one should consider for sake optimal capitalist arrogance.

Opinions anyone?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well it would help if I knew what this phrase actually meant :

"for sake optimal capitalist arrogance." :confused:

6. The sentence should have read, for the sake of optimal capitalist arrogance. I was attempting to be clever, a poor attempt I know, as to the nature of to many choices.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Well I guessed that part but I still don't know what you mean though!

"Other options for the sake of optimal capitalist arrogance" ??

:confused:

8. Perhaps it was just a bad joke. I just meant that in a world with millions living in impoverished subsistance, starvation, homelessness, opression, etc., the myriad selections and often outrageous pricetags of musical equipment might appear arrogant, selfish, unimportant. Again, a bad joke, still, as a tone monger, social reformist, and capitalist, I am interested in both realities.

9. Bruce Lindfield

But what type of "other options" do you mean?

10. other comprable amps in the same or similar price and power ranges. i. e. Ampeg SVT III pro, options like that.

11. Have you tried a SWR head? It will sound good with the goliath! I have a SWR bass750 and 2x goliath's and it gives a clean, tight yet warm sound that might be something inbetween the iAmp and the Eden. Check it out!

12. Actually, I use a SWR workingman's 160 as a practice amp. My general impression of the SWR is that it is a bit too bright, however, my practice amp is a solid state, while the 750 I believe has a tube preamp, no? Definately worth a try, thanks.

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The WT400 (which I've owned for a number of years) has a characteristic "colored" tone that favors low midrange and sounds very good with passive p/u basses. It's not my cup of tea with active instruments, however. The EA iamp350 (I own the 600) is a more "hi-fi" amp, i.e. less "colored" with a cleaner, flatter character. EA amps, in general, seem to be somewhat lacking in headroom given their ratings. I use the iamp600 often in small rooms and am quite satisfied with it. The WT400 is for sale. You make the call.

14. To satiate my curiosity, what's the rate on the WT 400?

15. Yes, it has one tube in the preamp. As for being bright I think it has a lot to do with the strings as well. With the SWR you can really hear the different qualities of different strings. So a set of Slowounds will give you a totally different sound that a set of Hi-Beams. Try to experiment with that as well.

Good luck!