Eden WT 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basschair, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hey all,

I've got a small problem. I recently downsized from a 4x10 Genz Benz to a 1x12 Eden cabinet, and it suits me just fine. However, my WT 400 seems to have finally gone south. I bought it when the 400's were just coming out, about 11-12 years ago. It's been a great amp, and I love the tube sound. It's matched well with my Pedulla et6, my Warwick thumb bo, and my recent first-time build, which has Nordstrand nj5st pups and an Aguilar obp-3 onboard pre.

Here's the situation: I was playing the new bass last night, and everything was sounding great. Then, massive distortion, clipping, then clean, then back to distortion...sounded a bit like overdriven chorus. At first I thought it was the new bass, then found that it was the same with the Warwick. Switched cables from bass to amp, then from amp to cabinet, both with the same results. Powered down, checked the new bass connections, plugged it back in, and it sounded fine for about 30 seconds. Then, back to the distortion. I don't have the tech knowhow to diagnose the problem, suffice to say I'm pretty convinced it's the head.

So, I'm wondering about my options, and am up for suggestions. I could send the head back to Eden for a fix, but am wondering if it'll be worth it. The head has lasted for a while, but is it time to replace it? I'd like to match it to the cabinet, but would also like an amp that could drive a larger cabinet as well, such as an Eden 210xlt or 410xlt.

I'm thinking about the Traveler 550, but it's been so long since I've looked at amps, I've no idea what's out there. I like the Aguilar onboard pre, perhaps an Aguilar tube head? I guess what I'm looking for is one of the following: "hey, just scrap it and start looking for a new one!" or "no, man, that's a good head and would be worth fixing."

I'll probably be going around to shops to try out new amps just to see what I've been missing, but your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
  2. My guess is put a new preamp tube in it and you're good for another 10 years! If that doesn't do it and it really is fried... the 550 is great... same sound, same size, more power :hyper:
  3. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Oops, I left that part out. I switched tubes from an Electro Harmonix to a Groove Tubes, then to another Groove Tubes. All had the same results. Yeah, I'm up a creek :D
  4. Bummer... I was hoping you had a quick fix! Well... I remember years ago sending my 300 in for the 400 upgrade, and Eden did a very good job and got the amp back to me quickly. However.... given the age of the amp and that it would probably cost a couple of hundred bucks to fix, assuming minimum shop charges and shipping, etc... maybe now is the time to take the plunge.

Again, the 550 is great if you are happy with the 400 sound.... lot's of other good relatively moderately priced, small but powerful heads out there now from Thunderfunk (the 550), Acoustic Image (The Focus), Euphonic Audio (the iAmp500), SWR (I think it's called the 550 also), etc.

There's lot's of info on these heads on the site if you do a search.

Good luck
  5. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Thanks for your help! Yup, it's probably about that time, so off I go to try some stuff out...

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you're sure it ain't the tube, the WT-550 looks like your only option.
  7. Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    If the power transformer, output transistors, diode bridge, or filter caps were blown, it would never work, and would probably blow the fuse. Since it's intermittent, it's a loose wire or a broken solder joint. Easy to fix.

And since it's worthless in non-working condition, someone will have to fix it. It might as well be you. Unless you want to sell it to me for cheap? :hyper:
  8. Dave has that sweet trade-in deal on those wonderful TF550's!.... sounds like it might be an option for you!
  9. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Well, I did one final test by lugging down the amp, cabinet, and a bass to a music shop out-of-town, and guess what? It's not the amp, it's the cabinet. A little pissed as it's only a year old. At any rate, getting it fixed as I write this. Still, I decided to make a little purchase, and am now the proud owner of a 210xlt Eden cab. Very happy, and very thankful for all of your advice. Thanks!