1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EDEN WT-405 DIY Project - no sound. Point me in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Band Dad, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    I picked up the Eden WT-405 knowing that it had issues, but thought I might get lucky with some obvious fix (something I've done quite a bit of).

In testing it, I did get some suggestion of volume (very slight; so slight I may have imagined it). But now nothing.

All the lights works (Mute, DI buttons, etc. - Mains, etc.)

I cleaned the pots before testing, and checked for anything obvious in the way of burned components or "popped" caps. Nothing I can see.

So, now I want to get a little deeper into it and was hoping someone with experience with these might be able to shed a little light on known weakness, or areas to double-check.

I've recapped before without troubleshooting (testing), but would rather not go wholesale recap on this, if it's just the one (fingers crossed).

Anyone able to give me a few pointers, suggestions, whatever?

Ian
    SF Bay Area

2. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    You will be more successful in your repair attempt by identifying the problem first. That way you know WHAT to repair.

What test equipment do you own and how much do you understand about how circuitry works? Can you read AND understand a schematic?

BassmanPaul likes this.
  3. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    I can read a schematic, somewhat. I have no test equipment, and my understanding of circuitry is far below that of anyone with the least amount of training. My bent is more mechanical, but, as such, I've had success in minor electrical repairs when the problem is obvious, like a broken wire, etc. I have replaced capacitors and have made other repairs to equipment, but not without a nod to a bit of luck on occasion. As I say, I'm a hobbyist - a tinkerer.

I'm sure my best chances for continued success in a more in-depth way lies in furthering my knowledge and adding the testing of electrical circuitry to my skill set. I just haven't got to that point yet. But I do learn more and more with each new project.

In this case, I just picked up an amp with issues, hoping to find, as has happened in the past, issues that are either obvious to me, or become so with the help of those able to point them out.

Ian
    SF Bay Area

4. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I would recommend some basic electronics classes and then you will have a better understanding which will help you choose appropriate test equipment and a better chance for successful repairs.

5. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Sorry, but without any test equipment, regardless of skill level, all there is is blind troubleshooting. With your symptoms, the best blind troubleshooting is if there is an effects loop, try bypassing it with a 1/4" patch cable.

6. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    There is an effects loop. Can you explain what this does, as far as troubleshooting? What would this tell me? What should I be looking to (hear?)?

Yes, without test equipment, I replaced about 11 capacitors on a KLH TT, and while I got it to work just fine by doing that, with test equipment (and the know-how needed to use it), I may have saved myself a little trouble.

I'll be opening this 405 up again for a closer look at anything that may be amiss, then I may send it in for repair, or sit on it until I'm better equipped to handle it as a DIY.

Thanks all for the input!

Ian
    SF Bay Area

7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I don't think I have replaced 11 caps in the last 20 years!!!

I replaced my first 2 in a long time, but these were in a circuit where the parts were poorly chosen and it was a confirmed known issue. Also, even with such a situation the caps were over 20 years old. Using the proper parts would have extended the lifespan to maybe 2x or 3x that length.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  8. I’d be in the same area myself. I just don’t get replacing perfectly good parts just ‘cos they may be a bit old!

9. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    Updating this old post in case others might run across it and find it interesting (year and a half later):

I took this amp to a local tech, so it would at least have the benefit of a trained eye/ear. I do get that without some indication of what the issues might be, even a tech would be pressed with finding a starting point.

However, and it's the weirdest thing, the tech gave it an initial once over and found no issues! He kept it over night and updated me regularly about what he was trying and how he was testing, but found that the unit was operating as it should!

The person I bought it from mentioned that it was not working, and my initial attempts showed it to be not working. So I'm not sure what the issue may have been, but perhaps it was a bad cord or cable, as my tech suggested. Quite a coincidence that the seller and I both had issues (though, I don't know just what the seller was experiencing).

My tech pointed out that he'd read this old post and included a link, so I was able to review what I did a year and a half ago, and there may be this as some explanation: I see where I mentioned cleaning the pots before testing; this may have contributed to the issues, short term (if I was too liberal in my application of the control cleaner I used), but, what?, time allowed for the cleaner to dry?

At any rate, here I am with a nice little amp head, got for relatively little money, and all seems good!

Fingers crossed things remain copacetic!

Ian
    SF Bay Area

10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Hence my initial suggestion that you identify the problem first.

BassmanPaul and jbrew73 like this.