1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden WT 405 vs. Carvin B2000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Commreman, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hey folks!

I have been using a Markbass SD800 for the past bunch of years with no complaint whatsoever, but I'm looking for something that can handle a 2 ohm load. Based on research here, I've narrowed it down to the two amps in the title. Aside from the very obvious difference in power ratings, has anyone, or can anyone who have had experience with both chime in? I realize that both of these heads are discontinued, so once I figure out what's best I'll be on a used search. As an FYI, I am usually in situations whereby I'm playing with a full PA and a direct out.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Not really familiar with the B2000 enough to comment. I would just say that the Carvin Micro head, which is really liked by many, is probably more 'apples to apples' with the WT405.

I feel the 405 is the best sounding head that Eden ever made, so that would be a good option... warm, punchy, and sounds very good with most cabs right out of the box set 'neutral'. The little Carvin micro takes a bit of knob twisting to sound 'good' to me, but there are tons of tone controls to get you there.

If you are on a budget, either the Carvin (I think it is the BX500 or something like that) or a used 405 would be good).

If you have a little more money, the Genz Shuttle Max 12 (or the slightly upgraded, newer 12.2) is REALLY amazing. Around 8 pounds, larger than a micro but smaller than a standard 2 space rack mount), and dual mono power amps so you don't get into the 2ohm thing (i.e., it is like having two separate power amps with one preamp). The tone shaping is simply amazing. If you can find a used 12, that, IMO is the best solution out there for those looking for a powerful, lightweight head to power two 4ohm cabinets.

IMO and IME!

Edit: The Shuttle Max 12 will have a bit tighter, more controlled low end, and a much more organic upper mid response (always found the SD800 a bit brittle up there abd a bit too overextended down low on the gig. IMO, if you liked the SD800, you will LOVE the Max 12.

3. From a tonal perspective what are your opinions of the Shuttle 9's versus the 12's?

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The Max 9 and Max 12.2 are basically the same.... one has a single high powered ICE power module, and one has two independent ICE power modules. Tone is identical. The original 12 sounds just slightly different when pushed, since the only difference between the 12 and 12.2 is that the 12.2 uses the revised/improved power management/limiting circuit that is in the Max 9.

The Max 9 REALLY sounds good with the 15/6 you have IMO. That low end filter, combined with the dual semi-parametrics, and a VERY usable bass control that impacts the 'mid bass' region really work will with that cab.

The tube channel isn't as creamy and fat and 'tubey' feeling as the Streamliner, but the 12.2 and 9 have a hotter gain structure than the 12, allowing for some pretty serious grind if you dig it.

All the Genz heads (IME and IMO) are voiced very 'tight and bright' when set neutral, but just a smidge of bass boost, and a touch of upper mid cut, and they smooth right out. VERY articulate heads, which I like a lot. They are 'hear the winding on the B string' type heads.

5. Pretty sure the B2000 is a current model. MONSTER of a head, by the way.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/B2000

6. Commreman

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks guys! As an FYI, I'm using a Dr. Bass 2460, 4 ohms as a cab and may add another. The cab is 2 X 12 with a 6 and a tweeter, rated at 1000 watts.

7. Commreman

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    You are correct. Carvin seems to shuffle heads in and out of production pretty regularly, and I put up the original post before I looked at the website.