1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden WT-405 vs GB Streamliner 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Type-55, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I'm thinking of switching to a light weight head from my 405.
    I don't have the option of doing an AB between these 2 heads.
    I really like the sound of the Eden but a lighter amp would be nice. Would be using Epifani cabs and a 4 string jazz bass.
    No slap just finger style playing.
    Any info is appreciated.

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I owned a WT-400, nice amp.
    More modern tone. The Streamliner has more of a tube like tone.
    Smoother highs, very fat bottom.
    I'm a tube amp guy, and I love my Streamliner, so does my back.
    And at 6 pounds, it's a breeze to gig with.

3. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Streamliner sounds really nice.
    Thanks

4. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Check out the Genz Benz Shuttle series amps. They're more modern in voicing than the Streamliners which are more of a nod to Ampeg. They also have quite a small footprint. No first hand experience, I'm just looking to purchase one as a small, modern amp solution soon.

5. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I'm thinking about the same thing, but I'm using a wt 550 with a epifani ps 410, I love the sound, but i want some thing a little less heavy like the SL900 with two Epi 112s!!

6. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    I've read a lot about the Streamliner and it seems to be a good fit.
    I have the Epi UL cabs. Single 15 for now.
    I would like to hear more direct comparisons against the Eden.

7. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
  8. I've got a Wt-405 and a Shuttle 9.0.
    Another option, if you still want that "Eden" sound is to do what I do and use the Shuttle 9.0. WITH an Eden WTDI - sounds amazing and stupidly light!
    Even better is the WTDI has a good compressor which is very much like your onboard compressor on the WT-405 :p

Eden World Tour WTDI Direct Box/Preamp

9. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Had a WA and agree with the comment that the mids are very present and tough to eq out. Also had a Mesa 360 which to my ears was a smoother amp than the WA. More tube sounding. Sold it because of the weight and too many knobs. I like the Eden for the eq simplicity but looking for a more tube sounding amp. I know, I know no solid state will sound like a tube amp but close would be good.

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The Shuttle heads would be MUCH closer in tone (punchy, warm, bright) to the very nice 405.

I would definitely wait just a few more days, when Genz will announce their new products. My guess is, there will be something VERY nice in their line-up in that 500-600 watt range of typical micro amps.

The Streamliner is a quite different thing, and just like all tube amps, requires a bit of care in cabinet matching, and will give you its own version of a big. wide, smooth crystal clear all tube tone, which may or may not be your thing. One thing for sure, it would sound NOTHING like your 405.

11. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Thanks Ken. The plot thickens. Or should I say the tone thickens.

12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

If you liked the MPulse 360 or 600, you would LOVE the Streamliner. I had an MPulse600 for a while, and while I like the Streamliner MUCH better, the tone was more similar than not... big low end, creamy smooth mids, cystal clear and very tube-drive top end. The Streamliner is punchier and louder, but is in that ballpark. The Walkabout is tighter, brighter and a bit more 'rough around the edges' (in a good way... just depends what you want).

13. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Have you done much experimenting with the WT405's "warm" feature? Aside from the difficulty of adjusting the tiny trim screw, I really dig the feature. I keep the trim screw dialed all the way up and it gives a nice fuzzy tube tone, to my ears. It won't do nasty overdrive but that would be more distortion than I want. For Motown tunes in a band mix, I like it.

14. Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    The WA I had worked well with the pair of the Berg HT-112's and a single Berg HT-115.
    The Bergs being a little dark and smooth the WA added a nice aggressive tone to the mix.
    Nice balance. The Warm feature does not do it for me. I'm looking for analog smooth not an OD sound. But thanks for the info.

Ken, if the ST is a slightly improved version of the MP-360/600 I think I would really like it. Any idea what new products GB is about to audition? NAMM related no doubt?

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

They should let the TB community in on the new products this week (just guessing there). And unlike most other companies, the products will be ready to ship when they are announced (i.e., they will be available for retail stores to order, so my guess is, will be available for purchase in early February.

Since the Shuttles and some of the Shuttle Max heads have been announced as 'discontinued' by some of the Genz retailers, you can assume there will be a freshening of those lines.

The Shuttle amps would be kind of in-between your current Eden and the Walkabout... a bit brighter and upper mid bright like the Walkabout, but a more controlled, solid state type low end like the 405. Again, the Streamliner would be closer to the MPulse 600, which was also quite fussy with cab pairings, and all about BIG tube low end and smooth, creamy mids versus 'grind and punch.