Eden WT-500 hiss problems?? and feelings...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zionnn, Jul 15, 2000.

1. zionnn

Apr 24, 2000

I’m looking to get a Eden WT-500 bass head. In my research I’ve found a few people comment that it hisses a lot? To those of you that own the WT-500... is that something that you agree with? If so what seem to be the conditions that make it hiss? Does it hiss all the time? Also what are your feelings about this amp? would you suggest this amp? Is it worth it, or should I be looking at the next one up? Does anyone know is it just this amp in the Eden line that has problems with hiss? I found it kind of surprising to hear (from multiple sources) that a high-end amp like this has problems with hiss.

Any input is appreciated,
  2. ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I am an Eden dealer and the WT 500 I have at the store hisses a lot. Tone wise it sounds great but it does hiss which I agree is unacceptable. I personally have never liked heads with 2 power amps in them. Stereo on bass is totally useless and I've never gotten a good sound when I've biamped. It seemed like I was losing some mid frequencies wherever I sat the crossover. If you can spare the extra hundred watts, the WT 400 is the way to go. With 2 8 ohm cabs you'll get 400 watts and that should be plenty for most applications. It doesn't have the hiss problems of the 500. It's been so long since the store has had anything bigger than the 500 that I can't remember if the WT 600 & 800 hiss.
  3. I've owned a WT-600 for 3 years now and never had a broblem with hiss. It's been very reliable and always sounds top notch!!!
    I definitely recommend that you give this amp a try. I never even tried the WT-500 so I won't comment on that one.
  4. chymel

Apr 16, 2000
    I use an Eden WT-500. I also noticed a fair amount of hiss when I purchased it. A lot of it does have to do with it in the mono mode. I contacted EDEN and they instructed me to rotate the cordial transformer(not sure if I have the terminology correct). Its round and sits toward the center of the box and is held down by a bolt. I did it and it quitened the amp up a bunch. Other than that it has been flawless. You can also checkout the EDEN site. I know they list upgrades for amps. Sorry for the long reply.

5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have a WT-500 and I use it with a D410-XLT in the bridged mono mode and I have never had a hiss problem.It has been a flawless performer so far.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That would be "toroidal transformer."
  7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have a WT 500 and noticed the hiss but that doesn't bother me at all. It's only really noticeable when I'm right in front of the speakers and playing at low volumes. Otherwise it's a great amp. All of my other amps , bass and guitar, are tube so I'm use to the noise. It's never a problem when playing out. Chymal, thanks for the tip on the toroidal transformer. I'll have to give it a try but it really hasn't been that big of a deal. I love the tone of the amp and as I said it's the ONLY SS amp I will own.
    Jerry J
  8. I've had my WT-500 for a couple months now and I love the thing. I've never had any problems with hiss at all unless I have the treble cranked. The only thing I noticed is that when you turn it on it crackles a bit. I think that's only cause the tube is warming up, not too sure though, but it goes away within 5 seconds. I don't mind that sound now cause it tells me the amp is being consistent and not doing it in irregular patterns. Asides from that the amp is extremely flexible and has amazing tone with both both my fretless and my fiver.

I like the big fat Eden tone so that's why I got it and I also like the idea of the 2 amp sections. I know some people think stereo on a bass amp is dumb but what I like about it is that if you're running two cabs and you want one to be more pronounced or want them to be at an even level you can adjust the stereo level accordingly. Asides from all that technical crap that I'm just starting to get a handle on, there's no question that this amp sounds great.
  9. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Eden are great. I get some hiss with mine but no more than any other amp,like when the treble is turned up really high. Also, i got mine recently, love it! Funny thing is my 500 sounds beefier, and louder than an older WT-800. I heard that they recently changed transformer supplier, so maybe that's the reason.
  10. I checked out the WT-500 last night and bought it. It didn't seem any noisier than the EBS Fafner and was a bit quieter than the SWR 750...and that's w/ all the wonderful neon display signs in the music store!
  11. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Outstanding choice Jim! You're going to be very happy with this amp. What are you using for speakers?