Eden WT-550 @ 2 ohms into Avatar 210PRO and B212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by remo, Jan 20, 2006.

1. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    both cabs are 4 ohms... so the amp will be running into 2 ohms...

will it handle it ok and will it be loud enough for big rooms?

the 210PRO is rated at 1000w RMS and the B212 is rated at 500w (from memory)

the WT-550 is rated at 620w into 2 ohm... so 310 into each Avatar cab...

should I step up to the WT-800 for the extra grunt or will the WT-550 do it on its head?
  2. Even though the WT550 is rated for safe operation at 2ohms... it always makes me a little nervous if you plan to run the amp loud and regularly at its 2ohm limit. It will probably be OK, but IMO, the 800, running at 4ohms per side into your cabs in stereo would probably be the way I would go... even more power and the amp wouldn't be pushed to its absolute limits.
  3. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
  4. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    yeah your right.. wt-800 would be a much safer bet.. anyone else running their wt-550 into a 2ohm load??
  5. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I've got the WT550 and the manual states that while it's safe to run at 2 ohms, it's not really recommended. It actually says they made it safe to 2 ohms because "everybody else was doing it".

To answer your question, I've never run a 2 ohm load.
  6. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    lol at "safe" come on there must be some crazy 2 ohm running wt-550ers out there..
  7. If you read the Eden forum, you will find several people who run the WT550 into 2 ohms all of the time, with no problems.
  8. As suggested by Bino's quoting of the WT550 manual... being able to run at 2ohms is a very different thing from cranking at 2ohms nightly over a long period. Again, it's probably OK, but heat is the enemy of long term amp reliability, and I assume the WT550 runs rather hot when pumped at 2ohms. Will it fail after a few months.... I would think not... will it fail after 2 years.... I'm not sure.