1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden WT-550 for a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0...am i crazy???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by trjazzluva05, May 13, 2010.

1. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Jul 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey everybody...I don't know if this is the right place to post this, if so I'm sorry. I've been wanting to downsize my amp head. I have a Eden WT-550, I like its tone but I want to downsize my rig to something more portable without compromising tone or volume. I have an opportunity to trade it for a perfect condition Shuttle 6.0. I've never tried one, but played a GBE600 and it sounds like my 550. Do you guys think its a good idea??? I would be using it with an Aguilar GS112 for small gigs and a 4 ohm GS212 for bigger gigs.

2. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    First of all your WT550 is worth at least $150 more than the 6.0, and also even though the 6.0 is rated at 600 watts, it sounds more like 300 and you will be sacrificing tone and power. Just my opinion.

3. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    I think you would not be disappointed. I played Eden for years, was a member of their user development team, and my main rig was a 550 with dual 212XLTs. The shuttle is voiced a bit different than the Eden, but work with the eq and forget everything you used with Eden eq... Genz has the knobs turn all the way both directions for a reason... it makes changes with every click. Start at flat and experiment. If you have any questions or need help, shoot me a pm or an e-mail.
    Good luck, I think you will be happy!!

4. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Jul 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    hey buffordbass, i remember you being on the forum, i was member there as well. i love Eden's sound, only Genz Benz is clearer which is cool. i want that tube sound without having to sacrafice bad tone or volume. i only reason I want to keep the 550 because its ability to go down to 2 ohms, but i just hate carrying my 40+ pound rack to every practice or gig. Would the Shuttle 6.0 give me enough headroom??? ive read sooo many POSITIVE reviews on it. I also hear the the EQ on the Shuttle doesnt do much so you have to use alot of it. Is this true???

5. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Why not live in both worlds for a while? Keep the Eden and save to buy a Genz. You'll likely be much happier, because you'll then have the preference to evaluate both according to your circumstance, in your own time. Then, if one is clearly more suitable for you, you can sell the other. . . or you can keep both if you like each for different reasons . . .

6. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Jul 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    hey man, i wish i could, but i cant afford to buy one outright right now and thats why i was going to trade my 550 for it.

7. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida

Why don't you take it out of the rack and get a bag for it??

8. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Jul 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey Bass Junkie, I thought about a bag when I first got it, but passed. I didn't feel it would protect it like a rack case would, plus I have I power conditioner with it to protect it from when I use it in places with poor electrical wiring.

9. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I owned a Navigator/QSC setup at the same as a Shuttle 6.0 and compared the two rigs extensively. I bought the Shuttle as a backup to the Eden rig but soon realized that no matter how much I tweaked the Eden, I greatly prefered the tone, punch and growl of the Genz amp. I eventually did a live comparison at a loud jam and everyone there hands down preferred the Shuttle. Everything about it was better, the tone was growly and cut through the mix so much better then the Eden which was running at way more power with the QSC amp.

I've since traded my Shuttle for an LMIII but think maybe I shouldn't have. The Genz amp had more personality to my ears!

10. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Good comments all. I can offer a couple of suggestions:
    1. If your cab set up is multiple 4 ohms to get your 2 ohm load, you might keep an eye out for a used Genz NeoPak 3.5. That was my first Genz head and it is awesome. Most have been modified to go to 2 ohms and 500 watts
    2. For the Micro heads the 6.0 is a good choice, but honestly for just a bit more, there are several used 9.0's available at fantastic prices. The 9.0 is voiced a bit deeper than the 6.0 and has filled my needs quite nicely. Only goes to 4 ohms, but that is 900 watts worth of power.

11. I dunno... the GB's have never done it for me. Why not take the 550 out of the big rack and carry it in a padded bag, if it's a problem? I have mine in a 2 space short rack by Gator. Compact and easy. Amp in left hand, cab in right, bass over shoulder!

12. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I wouldn't do it. I've owned and used WT550's and have spent enough time with GB Shuttle 6s that I don't think I would be satisfied. The WT 550 is one of the perfect sizes for a bass amp... heavy enough that you won't pull it off the cab when bouncing around on stage, but small enough that it's not hard to schlep.

:smug:

13. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    There you go again, comparing a QSC to an Eden.

14. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I wonder what a Navigator would sound like driven by a Mesa Strategy 500?

:bassist:

15. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    I know what a Navigator sounds like powered with a CA9 and had a QSC PLX2402 right next to it. Let's just say that the QSC is no CA9 and my WT800 sounds more like my CA9.

16. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Well the PLX1804 that I had was quite a powerful and well respected power amp. I was running a pair of Eden 210 cabs (one XLT and one XST). Are you suggesting that using a different power amp with the Navigator and the Eden cabs would have made that much of a difference to the overall tone?

I had no lack of power with that setup but the tone seemed dull and not as punchy as the Shuttle. The pre amp and speakers have more to do with the overall tone then the power amp I would think. Having said that, maybe there is some magic with the actual Eden heads that is missing with the Navigator and brand X power amp.

17. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I was gonna suggest this to OP as well. I traded a GBE750 for my Neopak, well not straight trade but still, I've never looked back. I owned a WT550 w/Eden padded bag, still a hard schlep on my shoulder but I sold it, maybe too soon. I didn't take time to work with the WT's EQ enough to appreciate it. Tho the manual and other Eden users all suggest leaving it all flat-all the time.

Well then why even add the knobs if we aint posed to turn em? :mad: But I would like another turn with a WT550 but then I'd have to trade you my Neopak and that aint never gonna happen....well hasn't happened yet. :ninja:

Good luck OP, if nothing else you're show gonna notice the weight difference if you make the trade. :bassist:

18. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I was contemplating the same move; I've owned a 550 for years.
    I bought a used Shuttle 6.0 from a TB member and compared the two. I ended up keeping them both. They both have their strengths, and they sound different enough that I can justify my decision. :)

19. PDK

PDK

Nov 14, 2008
    Cleveland TN
    I know this is a big difference as far as power but I switched from a WT400 to a Shuttle 9.0 and love it. I tried a 6.0 out first and it was great to. The 9.0 has stronger lows. As far as the EQ goes the Eden had more options but not enough to matter for what I do. I found myself barely using the Eq on the eden.

20. trjazzluva05

trjazzluva05

Jul 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    yeah i was always intrigued by the Neo-Pak. i wouldnt mind a 9.0 either if i could find some to trade my WT-550 for it....:D have have and 8 ohm GS112 and a 4ohm GS212. that wouldnt overpower my cabs to possibly blowing, would they????