Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT-550 powerful enough??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sfbass, Jun 26, 2004.

1. sfbass

sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm using my Eden WT-550 through a 15" JBL and two Epifani 10" cabinets and I'm confused as I have very little headroom left. In most situations, and granted I'm competing against two guitars, my pre-gain knob is at 2 o'clock (just where clipping begins at the loudest notes), and my master-gain is up around 3 or 4 o'clock...almost at its max.

This amp is rated at 500 watts at 4 ohms, 620 at 2, and i'm probably running around 2.6 with my three seperate 8-ohm cabs...so it would seem to me that this thing should be kicking some butt, not maxed out.

My old amp, a Gallien-Kreuger 800RB seemed to do fine and it's only 300 watts at 4 ohms.

I know amps are different and it may not be possible to compare things directly, but I feel like a 500-620 watt Eden should only need to be turned up around half-way, not completely maxed.

Am I missing something or do I need a different amp???

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    How loud is loud? I don't know how efficient your cabs are, but that may be part of it. Also, I think you mean your volume is at 9 or 10. Nine or ten o'clock would be to the left of straight up (noon). That's not very high.

I'd be able to get by just fine with 500 or 600 watts, but I'm not that loud. This goes back to when I used to say you need at least 300 watts to play out. On January 1, 2003, I changed my standard response to 600 watts, after I got my WT-800. Don't know what to tell you. If you had a couple 4-ohm D-410XLTs, I don't think we'd be talking.

3. sfbass

sfbass

Jun 25, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Oops, you're right...that was a typo on my part. The master-gain is around 3-4 o'clock, I just changed it in my original post.

There's no doubt I'd be better off with a couple 4x10 cabs but my back mandates a smaller rig. I did find it interesting though that your power requirements went from 300 to 600 watts after you got an Eden amp...maybe Edens are just simply not as powerful as other amps at the same wattage?? I too would have thought 300 watts was fine until I got this Eden.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It wasn't the change to Eden ... my previous amp was a WT-300, which I still have and use ... it was the change to 800 watts.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What's the efficiency of your cabs, and where are you playing?

My WT-550 into a pair of Bag End S15-Ds is enough to make my ears bleed, but they're very efficient - plus I'm playing in smaller spaces. I don't know if they would have the cajones to take on an outdoor gig with no back wall.

6. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Hello you don't know me yet, but I had to add that I have always had a volume problem with Eden gear....wt400 and wt800.
    Usually maxxed out the master in any situation, but loud enough with the right number of cabs....especially a xlt 410 and 210 together
    Just not as much headroom as you would expect!??
    Cheers
    Murphy

7. I use a WT550 into Avatar 2x10, and 1x15 speakers and it gets painful at 10 o'clock on the master volume. If you can't hear yourself on stage, your band must be a sound man's nightmare. Eden's EQ actually does something, start with it flat, and try tweaking to suite your situation.

John

8. Speaking of..what are your EQ settings? If you have an active bass, what are the setting on it also?

9. I'm usually playing a passive Fender Jazz, volume on both pickups 7-8, pre-amp 3 o'clock(compressor on), enhance off,EQ flat or almost flat(depends on room acoustics), master 9-10 o'clock depending on room acoustics. Sometimes I will use the enhance feature, but not often. Don't be affraid to turn the knobs. Watch for the clip light on the post EQ, and master. I you see a light there,something is set wrong, or you have a problem(cables, connectors etc.) You are using at least 14 gauge speaker cables, right? I use 12 gauge with speakon connectors. ( yes I had to install them in my 2yr old Avatars myself) If you are playing extreme rock with no PA support at all for bass, you are going to need 2-3000watts to fill a medium sized venue. I do classic rock, and country, and the 550 will hold it's own in a small club without going through the PA, but a decent PA with a good sund man is definitely an asset.

John