Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT-550 rack case -> overheating?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ratzpaul, Feb 27, 2005.

1. ratzpaul

ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    Europe
    Hi,

finally I stumbled over the rack case shown below which would fit my needs for transport-safety quite good. Now, my question is, is the amp likely to overheat due to the narrow fit of the amp in the case?

The seller had an Eden WT 300 (330?) mounted in it and said he never had any problems with heat. But as the WT550 is much more powerful and is capable of running 2 Ohms I expect it to get hotter. As you see, the case has "air supply" (I mean the holes on the side of the amp), mounted where the vent of the Eden is located. This will definitely help, but is it enough to bring the heat out of it?

Normally I run the amp on 4 Ohms, but occasionally it has to do a 2 Ohm load for a few hours.

What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. If that case has vents on the other side too, it should let enough air through. My WT550 is in a 6 space SKB rack and it rarely gets warm enough for the fan to come on. I'm running 4 ohms and don't push it very hard though. Yhe ATA case shown would provide exellent protection.

John

3. ratzpaul

ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    Europe
    Thanks for your reply, John!

Well, I don't know if it has vents on the other side too... gonna ask...

As far as temperature goes, I think I'll give it a try - best way to find out ;). I assume that the amp has some kind of heat protection built in so that in the worst case the amp shuts down and needs some time to cool. Or am I really in the risk of damaging something?

Thanks for your help,
    paul

4. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    If you end up not getting the case, lemme know, cause I'll snatch it up for my WT330.
    Or, find out where he got it from.
    I would like to have one as the soft bag I use is nice, but isn't the most protective.

5. The WT550 will pretty well take care of it's self on temp. If I interpret the manual correctly, it will reduce power untill it maintains a safe temp. Unlike some of the older amps it will reset itself if it does shut down due to high temp. I'm certainly not suggesting you tempt fate with deliberate abuse, just stating that it is a tough little amp.

John

6. ratzpaul

ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    Europe
    The case is on auction on eBay Germany so if you want to... but prepare for a tough fight ;)

Sorry, I don't have the link handy, but you'll find it easily if you do a search for Eden.

The owner also got it off eBay...

7. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    No sweat from me bro!
    I'm not gonna drive up the price for you or me ;)
    BTW, I do have a line on where to get a case made if it doesn't work out for you.
    Don at Low Down Sound will build a custom one for ya if you.
    www.lowdownsound.com

8. ratzpaul

ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004
    Europe
    Cool, :cool: , thanks for the hint - if I miss the case that would be an option.

Do you have one built for you? How much do they ask for such a custom product?

9. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    On my WT-550, the fan is on the right, and the left side of the enclosure has a lot of holes punched in it to augment cooling and I've never had any overheating problems. I live in a very hot and humid climate and have never had mine shut down due to overheating, even though it sure does put out a lot of heat itself. Personally, I'm pretty impressed with it. I feel that if you don't obstruct too much of the left and right sides of it, it'll probably be fine.