1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Eden WT-550 Rev "B" Effective date.....?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JOME77, Aug 15, 2007.

1. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Does anyone out there know the actual effective date that the Rev "B" changes were implemented on the Eden WT-550 amps?

I e-mailed and called Eden and got mixed information.

The e-mail from their on-line support group:

The only difference is going to be build date.

There really isn't a "b" version of the WT550 that I know of anyway,
    just the WT800.

Stacy Puckett
    Customer Service Representative
    U.S. Music Corp.
    444 E. Courtland St.

Only an hour earlier I called Edens 1-800 number and what appeared to be a fairly knowledgable service tech told me that the change was implemeted sometime in 2004 and the primary difference was in the venting for the chassis cover (larger venting area) and the ability for the amp to operate safely at 2 ohms.

I looked at their on-line manuals and even the first WT-550 manual dated 2/15/03 states that the amp will run at 2 ohms safely (620 watts in lieu of 750 watts for the "B" version; ref WT-550 8/10/05 manual).

Could the 8/10/05 date of the new WT-550 manual be the actual "B" version implementation date? :meh: :meh: :meh:

Any TB Eden heads know the facts?

I just purchased a used WT550 (build date 05/25/05) and it doesn't have the "B" as a WT-550 suffix on the rear of the amp.

Any help would be appreciated.........

2. RADUB1

RADUB1

May 11, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    IIRC...the only change was the high flow cover as stated. The change from the 620 to the 750, wasn't an amp change, but simply changing the documentation to meet with the actual performance. I hope this helps.
    It is a beautiful head....congrats on a great purchase.

3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yes, if the ventilation holes are oval, it's a 'B'. No other changes.

4. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Thanks guys!

Are the heat issues critical enough to warrant upgrading to the new cover ($59.00)?

5. RADUB1

RADUB1

May 11, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I really don't know. I have not heard of anyone having issues with their older versions. If you were pushing it HARD at 2 ohms in the direct sunlight all the time...lol...then I would say have it done, but I haven't heard of any reason that you HAVE to have it done.

6. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    It’s amazing how much I read a year or two ago about how much more desirable it was to purchase the “B” version of the WT-550. I remember reading more than once that a 550 without the “B” Rev shouldn’t be run at 2 ohms. Maybe a lot of the confusion is due to the Rev “B” on the WT-800 model.

At any rate, thanks for clearing things up!

7. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    don't buy the new cover, just take the cover off (a few screws) get a drill with a 1/2" metal bit and make some new holes around where the cover "covers" the heatsink... make sure you de-burr the holes, spray paint it matt black and volia.. rev B!