Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT-550 rig vs Yorkville XS800h rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Jul 20, 2005.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Tried a WT-550/D410XLT and an XS800h/XC808 cabinet. Apples and oranges here!

The Eden was clearer and more 'nasal'. Nice tone! Some white noise past '6' on the volume dial with the EQ flat and the gain at 1/3, even with the tweeter on the cab off. This bugs me. An amp this expensive should be dead quiet, right?

The Yorkville was louder, growlier and more ballsy, but a little bit darker. Quieter than the Eden with respect to noise as well. Go figure: I expected the opposite. It's a bit heavier and bulkier than the Eden, but still only weighs half as much as my rack.

The XS800h seems like a much better deal than the Eden, as first impressions of the Eden rig left me underwhelmed. They are only first impressions though.

If a new preamp tube opens up the sound of the Yorkville a bit, then this could be my next amp.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Go with the Yorkville!!! :hyper:

3. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    +1

I love my Yorky, their customer service awesome, and their 2 year unlimited warranty is second to none (that I am aware of!)

Also, I have never played mine through the 808 cab, but I love it through my Avatar 210Pro 115Pro stack.

4. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I have a XS400 & couldn't be happier. Yorkvilles are the best kept secret in bass amplification.
    I recently played an outdoor gig where the backline consisted of an Eden WT800 head & 2 Eden 4x10 cabs. I was prepared to be blown away but wasn't. Granted, I really didn't have time to mess with anything on the Eden - it was just plug & play then get off the stage...no time to seek "my tone" so it may be an unfair assessment of the Eden.

5. the darkness of the tone you were mentioning, is that with all their amplifiers? i was suprized at how i could get a sorta classical sounding tone (when i say that i mean it sounded so clear that the position of my tone knob had no bearing on what notes would sound clear) out of an xm200 alone.

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'll chime in for the Eden. I bought a WT-550 a cople months ago and have gigged it in just about every situation I'll see and really like it. I've had a bunch or amps over the years and for a head I like this best. I use a Bergantino HT112 with it for upright, 5 string fretted and fretless and love the tone.

That said, I haven't played a Yorkville but have heard good things.

7. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I'd do with the yorkville, ya gatta love tubes :bassist:

8. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Well I really love my Eden WT-400, I can get a lot of different tones out of it, and with that EQ it seems that a little goes a long way. The only experience I've had with Yorkville was when a friend of mine and I were at a local shop and knowing that we were in a band together, the owner asked us to play some stuff for him. He pulled a bass & guitar off the wall and plugged each into a compatable amp. I was plugged into a Yorkville 2x10 combo, and the EQ was out of my reach since he had us sit on some stools with the insturments while he plugged them in and turned on the amps. Whoever had messed with the eq made it sound terrible. I've always wanted to try out an 808 head, but nobody around here carries those, they just keep the combos in stock. Anyway, without any real experience with the Yorkville, my vote is for Eden. The best bet, this is obvious, is to try stuff out yourself and see what you think. The Eden tone is not for everybody. God Bless. -Brad

9. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Nope. I had an XM50 that was loud and clear, not bright but not dark. I'm thinking that maybe I should try the XS800H again. Last time I tried it I was comparing with an RBI and power amp and it sounded a bit darker. However, my tweeters are all turned off and I didn't know what the resonance knob did.

Don't get me wrong: I really like the way the Eden sounded. But it's wimpy in comparison with the Yorkville IMHO. Perhaps that's 800 watts speaking much more authoritatively than 550... :confused: