Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT-550 vs GK1001RB-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dalley, Dec 15, 2005.

1. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    I did a search for a shootout between these two specifically and couldnt find one ... if there is a previous thread, please send the link. Some might think it is like comparing apples and oranges but I will ask anyway.

I thought I was all ready to settle on the GK and started reading up on the Eden. I play mostly rock (AC/DC to Tool to RHCP), with some dance & funk (some slapping) mixed in. I was going with the GK mostly because of power and punch for the buck. I use MM Stingrays if it matters.

I started looking at the Eden for it's warmth, EQ, and compressor.

I was wondering which amp is more versatile ... I still like a clean sound but perhaps with a little warmth that a tube pre could bring. My main problem with the WT-500 is power. I know the GK would probably blow it away but I am wondering if the Eden could get by filling medium sized clubs/bars.

Another thing, I noticed the WT-500 doesnt have an input pad ... has this been a problem for active preamp users?

Any thoughts would be great!!!!!!!!

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Well, for what its worth, my old Eden WT800 was definitly darker and "warmer" than my GK1001RB-II. I like the power amp sections better on Eden amps, just awesome. But I prefer the pre-amp section of the GK. But lacking a tube, you won't get the same character. It just isn't there with the gK. But there's a cool trade off for me personally.

I miss the compressor for sure. The 550 dosent have an input pad?

Damn, Comprimises.

3. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    The 550 does have an input pad you just pull out the gain knob.

4. Does cost matter? The Eden is a LOT more expensive, almost twice as much.

5. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    Oh...I would be buying a used Eden or a new GK ...

and I guess I must have missed the input pad from the photo

... is the compressor on the WT-500 usable?

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I've owned both and while the Eden can sound damn good at times, the GK is easier to dial in and cuts through better in tough rooms. Also cheaper and lighter!

7. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Oh yeah.......I forgot to add one thing. The speed factor. The gK is RIGHT NOW when you hit a note.

8. jbassbob

jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    I go along with this. Although on a smaller scale, I prefer the sound and versatility of my 400rbIII to my wt400. Just a GK guy I guess.

9. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Are you talking about the Eden WT-550 (Traveler) or the discontinued WT-500 (Highwayman)? The WT-500 is a stereo amp that only bridges into 8 ohms. The 550 is mono, and can be used at 8, 4, or 2 ohms.

If you are comparing the 1001RB with the WT-500 then it will come down to what cab(s) you are using. But if you are comparing the 1001RB with the WT-550, the Eden blows away the GK IMHO. The Eden can sound just as clean as the GK, plus you can also get a more warm tone. The eq section is also alot more powerful...

1954bassman likes this.
  10. I was able to A/B the WT550 with my GK2000RB, not the 1001 but it still is relevant enough for this discussion I think. I kept both set with all controls flat. The Eden had a thicker, warmer sound. The GK was a little more focused and tighter sounding. I was able to get the thickness out of the GK though by boosting the BOTTOM (same as the 4/5 string on the 1001) filter and adding some additional BASS. I was able to closely match the warmth of the Eden by kicking the BOOST knob up on the GK. Matching the focus and tightness of the GK on the Eden was not as easy, at least not during the hour or so that I had to play around with the two amps.

The Eden ran out of headroom faster than the GK did. I noticed clipping in the power amp and I had to back off. The GK was also the clear winner if you are into slapping. The quickness and punch a GK delivers is pretty much the best I've heard and was noticebly better than the Eden. The Eden was certainly no slouch though ! I think the Eden has some cool features that the GK 1001 & 700 should have - aux in jacks and the ability to run at 2ohms. But overall the GK is the more versatile amp soundwise and that is what it's all about IMO.

If you are dead set on having the warmth of a tube in the preamp stage you can always get a tube pedal designed for this. EBS makes one, and you can search Ebay for one of the Blue Tube pedals which were very nice.

I now have the 700RbII/112 NEO from GK and I would love the chance to A/B with the Eden again. To my ears at flat settings, the 700RBII is warmer and thicker than the 2000RB was so it would probably match the warmth of the Eden 550 with minimal knob movement.

Based on versatility and overall headroom I believe the GK amps would put a larger smile on your face than the Eden, but you will be happy with either one. Just make sure you try to A/B then for yourself.

As far as the compressor in the Eden goes, it's a really nice feature, but I have always preferred to have a more versatile compressor, seperate from the amp. You would be better served by getting a good rackmount or pedalboard compressor.

11. try the GK 800RB ... best amp for the money

12. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I was choosing between these two amp a few months ago. (the wt550 and 1001RBII)

I went with the GK. $600 at GC, brand new. Can't beat that. I like the power and the speed and punch of the GK better than the Eden. Also, I only use one cab, so the 2 ohm deal with Eden didn't factor in. If I want a really warm amp for blues gigs or something I use my Walkabout.

Good Luck.

13. Big Thump

Big Thump

Jun 29, 2005
    North of 49
    +11

14. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    WOW! I thought this would turn into a dead topic .. thanks for all the input.......

This is very key to me .... I was about to ask this next actually. I'm not looking for the warmth of an SVT so to speak, but it's nice to have the boost option just to get a little more growl.

The only reason I cared about the comp. was because the Hartke 3500 Mosfet that I used for YEARS had it and I used it most of the time. I haven't used a comp in awhile and I don't think I need it tremendously.

Maybe I will stick with my original GK plan.......thanks again!

15. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    $600 at GC? ... was that a clearance or something? I was going to order from Rik's but if I could carry it home for that price??????? :hyper:

16. I got mine from RMC.

I don't have GC's around me, but I read in here on some thread where somebody took them the quote from RMC and they matched it.

17. There are very few topics on talkbass that will go dead ;) Too many members with strong opinions and experiences. Especially when it comes to gear :bassist:

Let us know how that new Gk sounds :D

18. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    That could have been me. Except it was Sam Ash, not GC.
    I'd do it differently next time, like order it through Riks (name changed to something else I think) My GK1001RB-II was a floor model and I was too impatient to wait for it to be shipped. Can be a little risky buying a floor demo.

Having said that, my GK has been perfect since my purchase regardless.

Incidentally, I forgot to point out that the contour control is very useful in "warming up" the GK tone. Clarification: the Eden is warmer set flat, but the GK seems "less warm" set flat because IMHO its less biased or colored sounding.

I think the Eden is a freaking great rig. But it's true, the darn things have a low mid emphasis thats built in to the flat sound, which is why so many people like it "flat" It requires very little tweaking to get a warm thick punchy sound. But it covers up the natural tone of the instrument to my ears. My MTD came alive through the gK.

The gK is just so more neutral sounding. When I got my gK, it took me 3.5 minutes of comparison with my Eden WT800 and I posted the Eden for sale the next day for $650. SOLD.

19. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i had the same experience before i bought my GK. The WT-550 was nice sounding, but it was just not neutral enough. through the GK, the bass and my technique have a chance to shine more than with the 550 i tried.

That being said, if i were to get a second amp in the future, it would probably be an Eden, so i can have the warm classic sound and the neutral bright sound. I think Eden and GK compliment each other well.

20. dalley

dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    Phoenix
    I have to go by my local GC tomorrow and will bring the quote from RMC Audio. It's worth a shot before I place the order with RMC.........