1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Eden WT-550 with D210XLT, XST or EPI UL310?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Buzz, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Now that I have the WT-550, I'm not sure which cabinet is the best match. The weight of the D210-XLT concerns me. I read it's 68 lbs, then 73 lbs? The weight of the Epi is awesome but is this cabinet a good match with this head? Will it be too hi-fi?

At the Eden forum someone did a comparison between a Goliath III and D410XST. I thought the Eden sounded "Richer". (And that's a good thing.)

I have a Goliath III 410 and Jr. I don't need more of that. The mid voice of the XLT is made to cut. Is this why so many run the Eden heads flat when using the XLT cabinets?

Does the D210-XST sound too close the the Goliath Jr?

I'd really like to hear from those who are, or have had the WT-550 UL-310, as this seems to be the most portable "one cab" set up.

AM. Jazz/AM P-Bass/EBMM Sterling and Pop/Rock Covers are the criteria. No pick, no slap. Just fingers.

Thanks for your help. :)

Buzz

2. Check with KJung. I'm pretty sure he has 550 + Epifani cab combination (and likes it). Good luck.:D

3. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I don't want to, nor could I ever speak for Ken, but I'm pretty sure he'll lean toward the Epi direction. I'd like to hear from XLT/XST owners and WT550 UL310 users.

Of course had Tom included some Eden product in his 210 shoot out, this post might not be necessary. :smug:

4. Hey there!

Well, a couple of things. The Eden210's are stupid heavy for what they are (210 cabs!), and they feel heavier than the listed weight, so keep that in mind.

Both the 210XLT and 210XST will massively blow your Goliath Jr. away.... but will not compete with your Goliath III. I used a 4ohm 210XLT/Eden400 for a while... VERY punchy, warm, grindy tone, but weak in the low end.... tended to fart out at medium to high volumes. The XST supposedly fixes that.

The 310UL is a very nice cab, very lightweight, and a good match with the Eden WT line of heads. The Eden heads have enough warmth that the 310UL does not sound any more 'hi fi' than the XST line of Eden cabs to my ear.

The 310UL will put out more volume than either of the 210's, and more low end... but will still not compete with your Goliath III at high volumes.

I would stick with your Goliath III myself.... not much heavier than either of the Eden210's, and a nice match with the WT550 IMO.

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    FWIW, I prefer eden heads with SWR cabs and SWR heads with Eden cabs. Those are two quite different tones, and both are better to me than either pure rig.

6. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    +1 to everything KJung said here - although I'll recommend that you swap out the Goliath Jr. for the 310UL. You could view it as a "super" 210...It's not much bigger than either than the 210XLT/XST or Goliath Jr., but will smoke either in terms of output. It's also lighter, and easier to transport. You could keep your Goliath 410 for bigger gigs, and use the 310UL for everything else. It's also a great match with Eden heads.

7. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Well IF the D210-XST does indeed weigh 59 lbs, then it's 30 lbs lighter than my Goliath III (which BTW is an 8 ohm cabinet) and only using 300 watts of the WT-550.

Honestly, the original plan was the WT-550/UL310 but it has been my experience that more often than not, a brands head usually sounds best with that brands cabinet.

I have found this true with SWR, Aguilar and now Eden...?
    The Epi's weight is a huge plus, it's just not being able to test drive before the grand is spent.

Any WT-550/UL-310 users want to chime in here?

8. More speakers and a larger internal box volume will always trump pure watts.... your GIII will still put out more sound with the lower wattage than a 4 ohm 210XST with higher wattage. However, it's a nice 210 and would obviously be a good match-up with your head.

9. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Agreed.

But who wins out in the 310 vs 410 match up?

10. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Might we upsell you to a UL410? 57lbs. Loud and clean and sweet. Check my thread about the UL410 & WT550.

11. Uh... the 410:D

12. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    I run the 210xlt4 with the 210xst4 and the wt-550: 210xlt for midrange punch, 210xst for depth and clarity. It's a fine combination, and ideally suited in terms of output and handling for the wt-550 at 2ohms. I don't find either cab prohibitively heavy. Can't speak to the Epi.

13. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Stop the calls, we have a winner!

(You know I set you up on that one :smug: )

14. Ha! Just having fun. It is hard to figure out what to get without being able to play it. I feel your pain. The 310UL sounds very different from the Eden stuff, but they all sound good... which makes it even harder!

You might want to call LDS.... last time I was there, they were talking about a large Eden shipment coming in. I have a feeling that they will have a 210XST on the floor sometime soon. I could bring my 410UL up there (even though it sounds somewhat different from the 310UL.. but still similar enough to give you a feeling for it).

15. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    I have an Epifani UL 310, bought an Eden WT 400 (same pre as the 550) but didn't like the match up. There seemed to be huge amounts of upper mids going on which wasn't really me, tried to eq it out but didn't sound that great. I much prefer my Ashdown with it.

16. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I'll give Ryan a call to see what's what. Thanks for the heads up.

You are very generous to offer to lug your 410 up there.
    I'll let you know.

17. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Timmyc,

I appreciate your real world input.

During a recent visit to the Lakland website I couldn't help but notice their "test rig" (or at least one of 'em) was an Epi cab with and Ashdown head.

I thought very hard about the Ashdown ABM EVO-500 but too many reliability issues turned me away. I know, I know, some have had no problems but I have my Eden now and seek more input.

Thanks for taking a moment to share your thoughts.

18. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Matt11,

Thanks for the XST, XLT input. I'm sure you've A, B'd these two cabinets. Can you elaborate a little bit more on the differences between them.

Also, how are you running your EQ settings with them?
    Do you prefer one more than the other?

19. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I went with 4 ohm 210XST for my 550 head. I don't get to crank it until Friday. It sounded great for jazz combo gigs.

20. I've heard so many good things about the Eden WT-550 + Epifani UL410. I'd say that's the way to go.