Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT 550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 57pbass, Apr 11, 2005.

1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I am considering the purchase of a WT 550...
    I sold a WT 400 a few months ago and do regret it...

I am presently using a Scout Walkabout combo..the head sounds great with other cabs but falls short in the power dept.. I think the 550 will solve my problems....

I did a search and read many posts which where mostly favorable.... have they added the mute switch for tuning?

Any suggestions on a good dealer... I am in NYC area

Any other info will be appreciated...

Thanks!!!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dunno about any mute switch, but I do believe it has a tuner out.

3. I tried the wt-550 through an 8ohm 4X10xlt cab - was somewhat disappointed by the results... it didn't really handle the low-B of my warwick with the fullness and tightness I was expecting, neither was it loud enough for my liking, although I think that was largely due to the 8ohm cab - 4 ohms would have been better with the adittion of a 1X15 cab.

also another point - everyone seems to love the mid-ramp of the xlt cab, yet they all play with the enhance knob turned up, which is basically a low and high boost - isn't this just flattening out the curve agian seeing as there is already a mid hump?

4. I'm pretty sure the Enhance knob Boosts the bass, High Mid and Treble, while scooping out the low mid..

Maybe enhance brings it to flat? and flat brings out the mid-hump? umm.. thats wierd?

5. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    great amp if you like the eden sound.... plenty of volume.... and....no, they haven't added a tuner mute switch....

about the enhance knob.... that thing cuts the mids, keep it all the way down or you will be lost in the mix!!

6. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I did the same thing. Traded a WT-400 on an Ampeg SVT-2 Pro. Regreted it ever since. Went out an bought a WT-550 been happy ever since. Top class amp. Top class Eden. My entire rig is Eden, has been for years. If you liked the WT-400 you will love the WT-550.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i hadda sell my 400 and a 550 is on my list of things to get one day. to me, the big limitation of the 400 was the inability to handle 2 ohms, which the 550 will do. the increase in watts is nominal in terms of how much volume you'll get using the same cabs, but many gigs where i had to bring a more powerful amp with 2 cabs could have been done with the eden and 3 cabs.

as far as using an 8 ohm cab with the eden, no it's not really loud. the 400 really seemed to come into its own when driving a 4 ohm load.

for a very cool small rig i think i'd like a 550 and four bag end or epifani 1x10 cabs. :cool:

8. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Thanks for this advice...I'll keep it down..

9. 57pbass

Thanks everybody for the information......

I pulled the trigger on this today...
    Bass Central gave me a very good deal.....

I have a few speaker options...

AG Tri210L
    SWR 4 x 10 - 4 ohm Goliath
    Bag End 2 x 12....
    Bag End S15 D
    Bag End S -15XD

I like the fact that the heads is 300 watts @ 8 ohms....that will be perfect for a single Bag End Cab... lots of options with the 4 ohm load....

10. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    does anyone have an opinion on this head versus the 405? i tried out a 405 at a dealer and loved it, but i haven't heard the 550 yet. is the tone completely different because of the tube vs. solid state design?

11. 57pbass

I received the Edene WT 550 today.....its was built 3/25/05

I gave it a quasi road test in my basement....

Basses used.....
    Sadowsky 4 sting/EMG's -
    USA Jo Osborn

Speakers.....
    Accugroove Tri210L
    SWR Goliath 4 ohm - 4 x 10 cab
    Bag End - 2 x 12
    Bag End S - 15D
    Bag End S - 15 XD...

I could not crank it up too much but I am very happy with the results so far.... the enhance control is very interesting.... it reminds me of the GK contour control....

I tested in 2 ohm mode - ( Goliath and 2 Bag End 15s) - - bone shaking results with the Sadowky

4 ohm load - All cabs

8 ohm load -- single Bag End 15's... ( they never disappoint )

No favorites but all very different sounding boxes....
    I have a show tomorrow night where I can crank up the volume ...and its a toss up between the Bag End 15's -- or the Tri 210L....it will probably be the AG since I need to get used to that cab.....

Question for 550 owners... I see 4 holes in on the top of the head ..not the vent ... do you kow what they are there for?

I'll post back on Sunday with some more info...

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nine o'clock is OK.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    funny,

but just tried an Eden 550 at Rudy's Music, while trying out a few MTD's. quite impressed. cranking it seemed ALOT louder than my old 400. 550 seems like a conservative rating thru the Berg 2x10 i tried it. and killer tone, too. a marked improvement to my ears.

14. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Mine runs the Berg HT/Ex ministack and to me it is a great combination. I use just a bit of the enhance knob, hardly ever past 9 o'clock. :)

15. bassbinge

bassbinge

Sep 17, 2004
    new zealand
    Question for 550 owners... I see 4 holes in on the top of the head ..not the vent ... do you kow what they are there for?

screw holes for mounting into a combo unit.they probably make all the top covers for the WT traveler series the same.

16. 57pbass

Just got in from a gig on LI. It went well..
    I brought along the WT 550 / Accugroove Tri210L / Lakland Glaub and Sadowsky / EMG 4string.

Unfortunately the room was gymnasium like so we did have some problems with the acoustics. Overall I was very happy with the Eden. 550 Watts is plenty for me..
    I dialed in a nice thick fat P tone and was set for the evening. I had to keep the volume down so I could not drive the cab too hard .. but the guitar player liked what he heard... he is also a gearhead....

I am glad I purchased this head...I think its going to work out well... I'll post up when I use it with one of the Bag End single 15 cabs...

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    those are actually for pouring beer, soda, coffee, etc into. the folks at eden thought that if you were stupid enough to put a drink on top of your amp during a gig or practice, it would be a shame if none of it got inside the amp when it spilled.................. :smug:

18. 57pbass

Coming soon.....

19. 57pbass

Ivan...
    I am glad you pointed that out...
    I thought the holes where there to allow me to run the head under the sink and let the water flow through.... there's nothing worse than a dusty circuit board.... :bag: