Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT-800 and 2 8 ohm cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CocoMonkey, Jan 16, 2001.

1. CocoMonkey

CocoMonkey

Mar 7, 2000
    Sacto, CA
    Hey, i was hoping someone would help me with some questions i have.

I just purchased the Eden WT-800 amp and i have 2 8 ohm cabs to go along with. I have an Eden D-115 and a custom made 4x10 cab with carvin speakers which are rated @ 8 ohms a piece. The amp is rated at 400x2 into 4 ohms stereo and 800 watts into 8 ohms mono/bridged. The problem im having is that in order to get stereo i have to have to 4 ohms cabs and im guessing in order to do 800 watts mono i can only use one 8 ohm cab. I need to find a way to get 800 with two 8 ohm cabs. Is this possible, or am i out of luck with this setup?I am currently running the amp 800 watts mono into the 1x15 and then using the out on that cab to transfer to the 4x10 cab.

Am i losing power with this setup? Is the bad for my amp?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. Mr.Ben

Mr.Ben

Jan 16, 2001
    Long Beach
    Why o why must you have your 800 watts out of your two cabs. If you A/B your rig with your one 410 cab 800 watts mono into 8 ohms against both your cabs stereo with 225 or so watts going into each of them you will find there will be very little difference in overall volume. However your level in both those situations should bve loud enough for most bands. I have the same type of setup only with an eden 410 cab and I compete with two Marshall full stacks. Carvin speakers suck! but that is just my opinion. Your amp will put out plenty of power into many cab configurations. However, you are running a severe risk of blowing your amp's power supply by running it mono into a 4 ohm load. You will achieve the greatest level of tone and volume by making shure that you have a good strong signal going into the amp without having to resort to mambo eq settings or very high gain levels. Your amp will not audibly distort well into the clipping of the preamp. Make sure your bass is giving a good strong level and run your cabs STEREO with minimal EQ turn off the compressor and input pad if neccessary. Your amp should be louder, clearer, punchier, and you won't blow your head. P.S. try to find a good 410 even a Peavy 410tx will smoke a carvin and their dirt cheep. your other alternative is sell your cabs and get 4 ohmers and not be able to use one at a time or sell your amp and get one that can run mono into 4 ohms.

3. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    What if you run the two 8 ohm cabs into the one side of the amp and get a 4 ohm 2-10 cab for the other side?

4. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Stop the obsession with ohms and multiple cabs! I've run my Eden WT800 with two 8ohm cabs (a 410 and a 210 for example) for 5 years now and have always had enough volume. I suggest running the 15 on one side and the 10 on the other (don't biamp). That way, you can use the balance knob if you want more of the 15 or more of the 410. I've seen plenty of arena shows with a single 15 and a 410 on top. Lots of players use the WT800 and a single 410 cab (bridge mono for 800 watts into the Eden 410XLT which handles 700 watts...how much louder must it be?) Do you haul all of this around often? (My back hurts just thinking about it).

5. I agree... I have got the WT-800, and the 8 ohms model of the D-4x10xlt. I run it mono-briged, and it works WON-DER-FUL. its very good for the speakers, because its got a lot more "clean" watts comeing at it.

I think some of you guys are crazy, unless your talking about 2x10's, then you've gotta be crazy. The only add on i'd make is a 1x15 (and that is heavily doubted), and thats it. Do you really need this much "stage volume"? I mean, if you need more than 2 4x10's, or basicly more than 2 cabs, then i think your pretty much just showing off. Why do big ole' rock bands have huge walls of speakers, yet only mike up one or two? because they wanna look like a "big ole' rock band"

Also, if you actuly need that much stage volume, i think you should consider "in-ear" moniters, i've heard great reviews of the ones that shure makes. its digital, and wireless, so then you can walk anywhere on stage (that you cable allows, unless thats wireless too) and still hear your bass volume. These run for about $500-$700, somewhere in there, i dont remember the exact price. Imagin though, would you rather strap a small 1/2 lbs pack to your back, and have it there the whole show, and also cary your one 4x10 to the show, or... strap a 4x10 up to your back, and then take it to the gig, then go back, grab the other 4x10, strap it on your back, go back to the place of the show, then go back, strap on whatever else cabs you brought. i think its gotta be crazy to do that.

do your back a favor, and your wallet, but a moniter, and let the club pa do all the hard work for you.

6. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    This string is yet another shining example:
    The reasoning behind the whole Eden Impedence/Wattage setup is some what of a mystery to me, and was one of the reasons i went with SM-900s. Why would you want to run full power into an 8ohm load? When there are very few 16ohm enclosures out there, this means one cab. IMO, you'd want full power into a lower (i.e. 4ohm) load, so you can use multiple cabs in bridge/mono mode, if desired, to get the most out of your amp(s), and to obtain the most massive sound possible. Moreover, to get 4 ohms per side on the WT800, you have to find 4ohm cabs, most popular encolsures (4x10, 1x15, 1x18) being 8 ohm (I said most, so EASY).

Further, if you think you can compete with 2 full marshall stacks with one 4x10, you play with two guitarists that

a)are very considerate; or
    b)don't really need or use a full Marshall stack

7. Mr.Ben

Mr.Ben

Jan 16, 2001
    Long Beach
    Well you're right my guitarist (singular) is considerate and he doesn't "need" them but that's why I like him. He'll go the extra mile to add more balls and mass and beauty the sound of our music without having to turn up. Don't get me wrong, it is loud and enormous. That's why I hook up a 2 15 cab as well when we play a show. Having more than one cabinet or amp isn't neccesarily showboating. It can add alot to the sound of a band, especially when you rock. And believe me, the audience hears more than just the miked speakers Einstien. Who cares about weight when you're young anyway. Just take some roids and drink a can o whoopass. We don't play Vegas or Starbucks.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    WAKO -

The rules are the same for both Eden and SWR.

9. I know you said most, but i'd still like to point out that every eden cab (except 2x12, 2x15, 8x10) are avalable in both 4ohms, and 8ohms. so its not like eden it leaving you to go find them, they're puting them out. all rating are the same, except the impediance.

10. I was just wondering, I have the WT-500 so I can bridge the two sides and get 500 watts @ 8 ohms instead of 800 watts like the WT-800. Anyhow, it doesn't matter with my question so I'll just keep talking about the WT-800. Does anybody know if there would be any difference in volume, sound, etc. by running two 4 ohm 410 cabinets stereo off of each side of the amp, getting 400 watts a piece, OR, if you wired the two 4 ohm cabs to run in series for a total of 8 ohms and ran them off of the bridge/mono mode? Theoretically you're still getting 400 watts to each cabinet, given that the cabinets disperse the power equally between themselves, but would that be 400 watts at 8 ohms? compared to the stereo 400 watts at 4 ohms?

I hope I explained that well enough and that it makes sense. I know that this might not be a practical setup, but I was considering getting another 4 ohm 210 cabinet for my rig, or possibly just getting an 8 ohm 410 and selling my existing 210. I know that's a little different from the original question I asked, but if anyone can sift through the question and offer any help it would be appreciated. Thanx.

11. ok, i'm just correcting myself... 2x12 is avalable both 4 or 8 ohms, 2x15 is only 4 ohms, 8x10 is both 4 and 8 ohms, and the 1x15 is only 8 ohms. oh, and just so you know, theres a bunch of 1x12's, and 1x10's that are also only 8ohms.

12. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY

I thought the 800W mono power rating for the WT800 was at an 8 ohm (minimum) impedence...i.e. you can't have 4 ohms in mono mode. Is this incorrect?

SWR is rated 800W into 4 ohms mono, and 400W/channel at 2 ohms in stereo, which I believe is not the same as Eden. Don't get me wrong here, both companies make fine equipment IMO.