Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Eden WT-800 & Goliath III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baba, Apr 22, 2002.

1. I just scored a Eden 800 and will be hooking her up to a Goliath III tonight. The Goliath is rated 700W @ 8ohms. The Eden is 2 x 400 Watts. Is there any danger of overpowering the cab? I assume the amp will be pushing 400W at a 700W rated cab and all is well. Am I right here or should I stay away from 11.

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE!

2. The Eden is 2 x 400w @ 4ohms...about 2 x 240w @ 8ohms...1 x 800w @ 8ohms bridged.

So you'd only be pushing 240w into the Giii. Keep in mind that most of the time that speakers blow, it's 'cause the signal being fed into them is clipping (so sometimes, not often, a low-wattage amp can blow high-wattage speakers). I push one side of my Eden (400w) into a 1200w/4ohm cabinet without any problems.

Try bridging the amp into the Giii...that way you'd be pushing 800w @ 8ohms into a 700w/8ohm cabinet, which is fine (just don't redline the Eden too often), and you should have plenty of volume!

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    definitely run bridged at that cab and youll have some great tone with volume and headroom to boot.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Should be a good combination mono-bridged. More clarity, actually, than with a D410XLT but somewhat less mid-range punch and you won't get as much of that famous Eden "color" running an SWR cab, of course.

5. Thanks for the advice. Once I read the manual and did the math it made sense.

One more question...
    When I plugged it in last night, even with Gain and Master all the way off, I get a steady white noise kind of hiss. When I really crank up the volume the hiss gets louder but not by much at all. It is a sound I don't get out of the cabinet when I use another SWR solid state head.
    I thought maybe I should get a new tube but then again nothing distorts when I play and it sounds beautiful. Is this hiss normal? This is my first tube-pre head, and MUCH larger than anything I've ever used so maybe it's normal.....maybe not.....

Any ideas?

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    exactly what i was going to say.
    that you would have a higher risk of blowing the speaker by not enough power than to much power.
    if the cab is rated at 700 watts you can put a 1500 watt head on it but as long as you don't turn it all the way up you will be fine. the head is not going to be running at the 1500 watts all the time. that is peak wattage usually
    my 2 cents

steve

7. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    This is not correct. You can use a 1500 watt amp and only be playing at 300 watts. It depends on your EQ, where you have the amps volume set at and how hard you play. I have 2000 watt amp and on average only use about 1500 watts rms max. If I'm mistaken, feel free to correct...:)

8. I'm sure that was supposed to read:

the head is NOT going to be running at the 1500 watts all the time. that is peak wattage usually

But maybe not.

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    yes that is what i meant to say.

10. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I should have caught that. Sorry man, but you might want fix your post...:)

11. hey Steven Green, what amp do you use? I don't knw of a 2000W amp head.....

12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    im going to guess that he's using an Aguilar db680 and a Crest V1500. dont ask me how i read minds because its a secret;)

13. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i fixed my post
    thanks guys for catching that.
    i want a 2000 watt amp where can i get one

14. Crest
    Crown
    Mackie
    Peavey

...along with others, they all make rack-mounted power amps, from silly to stupid power ratings. Pair one with a nice preamp and voila!

15. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Check the level of the horn on your cab it could be turned up alot. Which means alot of treble, which in turn means hiss.