Eden WT-800 or Ampeg SVT4Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PhatBoi5, Feb 25, 2001.

1. Let me preface this by saying Aguilar is still the best!!!
    Anyway heres my story:
    I currently have the Aguilar DB-359:D 200 watt tube head running an SWR 2x12(700 watts RMS @4ohms) and a Hartke 2x15(600 watts @ 4 ohms)-I replace the speakers in both cabs. So if you know about power you can immediately see that I dont have enough to push these cabs. The Eden and the Ampeg are the most powerful amps that I know of, and will push those cabs effieciently. What I need is for everyone to chime in with their expierinces with either of these heads. Reliabilty, road worthyness(big issue) tone, etc. Also if you know of any amps that may be equally powerful let me know
  2. Well, the Ampeg has more power(most important part to me). And, I've heard that Eden's are slightly unreliable. Third, if I'm not mistaken, the Ampeg is much cheaper.
    So basically if you look at it my way the conclusion is. AMPEG[​IMG]
  3. ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I'd get the Eden. Ampeg's power rating is way over inflated. I've tried the Ampeg and no way does it have the amount of watts that it claims. Ampeg is just another name for Crate. There's nothing wrong with Crate amps, they sound OK and aren't expensive. Crate make their products very cheaply. They cut a lot of corners but you get what you pay for and again they don't cost much. Since Ampeg is made by the same people they also are made by cutting corners. Unfortunatetly, they carry a high price considering their Crate like quality. Crate:low price, low quality Ampeg:high price, low quality. I think the word going around about Eden being unreliable is far from the truth. There's not a copy out there that will have perfect products with no problems. I think some people have just exagerated this about Eden. I am a dealer of Eden and Ampeg and Ampeg comes back far more often. In fact, in the last three years, I haven't had one Eden come back. I can't say that at all about Ampeg.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had an SVT-3 PRO for 2 years & praticed evry week & giged with it @ least once a month & never had a problem. I sold it to get an SVT 2 PRO that I've had for a few months now & no problems. Just because Crate & Ampeg are made/distributed by St. Louis Music, don't make than one in the same.

I used to work @ Sam Ash in Bklyn & sold Ampeg's hand over fist & rarely got one back.

Iv'e never really "played" an Eden so I can't make a comparason. But Ampeg's are great. Iwas going to get the SVT-4 PRO, but I got the SVT-2 cheaper. (Demo blow out sale)
  5. ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I wasn't trying to imply that every Ampeg that rolls off the line is going to be defective no more than I would imply that every Eden is work of art. From what I understand and by reliable resources, Ampeg and Crate are indeed one and same as many of their parts are the same, and the same people are in charge of quality control. I'm not saying that I get a ton of Crate amps coming back either. I just don't think Ampeg is a good value. As far as their sound, that is intirely subjective. I don't like the way they sound. But what I can tell you is this: when did side by side comparisons with an Ampeg head and an Eden head of claimed similar watts, the Ampegs weren't even close to putting out the same levels as the Eden's.
  6. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    That I can't argue with. I never put them on a side by side sound comparason. :)
  7. I've actually heard bad thngs about both. A friend of mine is an amp repair tech for a music store and he says Edens are often on the bench for repair. He thinks it may be the machine assembly of interal parts.
    I ve also heard the Ampegs nubers are a little blown out of proportion. I only have experience with the SVT3pro(yucK) and several cabs and I didn't think they stood up to what their specs read.
  8. ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    It's my belief that quality is going down in every company. Of almost everything my store deals in, it seems the prices keep going up and the quality down. I'm pretty disheartened by everything right now. For every story of someone praising a particular brand you hear one bashing. We get several Gibson guitars in and on every one there is always some sort of finish flaw, bad frets, or any number of other things wrong. While this is almost acceptable on a $200 Ibanez, it's unforgivable on a $4000 instrument.
  9. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    I had an Eden WT800 for a couple years. It didn't function to well if the line voltage sagged below 108VAC, and the freakin' noisy fan drove me up a wall--awful. Sounded like a blender solo during our quiet parts. Eden's response: "If you turn it around, maybe it's quieter." Needless to say, the Eden is gone. To it's credit, it WAS light, but I never found it to be as powerful as what it was rated for.

I've not had an Ampeg amp, but I had a chance to try out cabs using an SVT4... wow. If I was using an integrated head, that's the one I would be using.

YMMV, but I'd go with Ampeg.
  10. I had an SVT-4 pro. It was powerful, but when the wall power was weak, it really loses feel and definition. It was starting to blow up on me, so I traded it for the WT 800. The Eden had more balls, and was warmer sounding too. I could get an Ampeg sound out of the Eden, but could NOT get an Eden sound from the Ampeg. Yes the fan is loud, but if you play that quiet, you should buy the 200 watt Aguilar. My band is so loud, it hurts. That's why I bought Musicians Ear Plugs. I think Eden watts are more than Ampeg watts. The 800 was a lot louder than the SVT-4 pro.

BTW Low Rider, any amp will sound like $#!+ at 108 volts. Even a 3 or 4 volt drop, you will notice a loss of feel. The amp will be loud, but you can't hear it.
    My next purchase is a Furman 1215 line voltage regulator.
  11. ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    Eden just upgraded their amps and are supposed to be a lot quieter. I didn't notice any noise problems out of their WT300 & WT400 amps but I did notice a considerable amount of noise on their stereo heads.
  12. Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    If I went Ampeg, I would get the SVP Preamp with a good power amp. This would be the same (better - depending on power amp) as the SVT-4 with the ability to change later.
  13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    It seems like a waste of your Aguilar head to get a totally new head to replace it. You could use the pre amp out of the Aguilar into a power amp such as a QSC PLX 1602 and have plenty of power for less than the cost of the Eden or Ampeg.
  14. Well, Id sell the Aguilar and buy with what I got from it sell.
  15. With the money you should be able to get for the Aguilar, you should be able to get a new QSC PLX-1602 from Lord Valve, plus a used (or possibly new, depending on how much you get for the Aguilar) Ampeg SVP, Demeter, or Alembic preamp.
  16. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I like Eden over Ampeg. As for reliability I have an Eden WT-500 that gets a LOT of gig, rehearsal and practice use and it has never let me down. As for sound well that's subjective but obviously I like the Eden tone or else I would have an Ampeg ( but hey, nothing wrong with Ampeg either)

17. How did you set your eq on yoru eden to get an ampeg sound? i've been messing aroudn with mine, and havnt been successful© i have the WT-800, and D-410xlt© thanks©
  18. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    If what I'm about to say is stupid enough to get Psycho's attention,you'll definitely get an experienced opinion...

Anyhow,what about the new Sunn 1200s.1200 watts into two ohms.about $900.00.pretty good sound.Made by Fender,okay,not real famous for bass amps,but can it be worse than a Cratepeg ?

They also make a 300 watt tube head,the 300T,but its 75 lbs.
  19. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    The guy that designed the original SVT designed the Sunn 1200 & 300. Very powerful amps. But why get a Sunnpeg when I have a Cratepeg SVT-2 PRO? :):D
  20. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I guess you folks calling Ampegs Cratepegs also think Gibson just puts a higher sticker price on their epiphones and calls them Gibson. I've had my Ampeg going on 8 years of weekly gigging and rehearsals without a problem. I've left it out in my car in freezing weather, played in 100 degree heat, Rain, county/state fair dust and rodeo dirt, Spilt beer on it, dropped it, had it knocked off of a 410 cab. I've had it in the shop once to replace an eq pot. And it still sounds GREAT!!!